Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

TF101 Won't Boot Up - Help

Hi,

I have a stock Asus TF101 running android 4.0.3

The build number is IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615

The tablet currently gets stuck trying to boot on the initial screen where it says EEE pad in middle and Asus on bottom. It will cycle on and off of this screen repeatedly for hours.

I have read several threads on this forum and tried some of the solutions I think I found, with no luck. I should say all except wiping the device and starting over. There is data on the device that I would like to be able to recover or use if possible.

If anyone could help, I would appreciate your support.

I don't have a technical background, but I can learn and definitely follow directions.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    905 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Hi,

I have a stock Asus TF101 running android 4.0.3

The build number is IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615

The tablet currently gets stuck trying to boot on the initial screen where it says EEE pad in middle and Asus on bottom. It will cycle on and off of this screen repeatedly for hours.

I have read several threads on this forum and tried some of the solutions I think I found, with no luck. I should say all except wiping the device and starting over. There is data on the device that I would like to be able to recover or use if possible.

If anyone could help, I would appreciate your support.

I don't have a technical background, but I can learn and definitely follow directions.
    Welcome to the forum, what have you already tried?
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    I have tried

1. holding the power button down for 30 seconds
    2. holding power buttom and the Vol -
    a) tried hard boot
    b) tried to enter recovery - but got Android bot laying down with a Red Warning Flag
    c) tried to enter recovery and access downloaded firmware from Asus on SD card - but not sure if I can do this and if I am doing correct
    3. plugging tablet into USB on computer and holding down the power button and Vol + buttons - nothing seemed to happen, atleast was not recognized on the computer

I think that is all. I have been trying to research all week and find a solution.

Not sure what has caused this to happen. My son was using his tf101 relentlessly to play Clash of Clans and then it would not boot up.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    905 times
    Until one of our techier mods comes along, try plugging your 101, via USB, into a PC for several hours, making sure the PC doesn't sleep. The trickle charge may wake it up. Worth a try, anyway! Make sure to let us know if it helps!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I have tried

1. holding the power button down for 30 seconds
    2. holding power buttom and the Vol -
    a) tried hard boot
    b) tried to enter recovery - but got Android bot laying down with a Red Warning Flag
    c) tried to enter recovery and access downloaded firmware from Asus on SD card - but not sure if I can do this and if I am doing correct
    3. plugging tablet into USB on computer and holding down the power button and Vol + buttons - nothing seemed to happen, atleast was not recognized on the computer

I think that is all. I have been trying to research all week and find a solution.

Not sure what has caused this to happen. My son was using his tf101 relentlessly to play Clash of Clans and then it would not boot up.

Thanks for your quick reply.
    There are a couple of things you can try, but unfortunately you would loose any data not backed up externally or in your Google account.
    On a stock device without root and custom recovery there is unfortunately no way to save your data under these circumstances - sorry.
    My advice would be to consider it lost and continue from there...

If it is a corrupted data partition causing the bootloop, try this:
    Press Volume Down and Power to enter the bootloader menu
    Use the Vol Down button to highlight Wipe Data and press Volume Up to execute.
    It should reboot by itself once the recovery has wiped your data partition.
    If that does not solve it, it would be time to reinstall the firmware. You could follow along in this thread here: [ SOLVED ] How do you reinstall firmware on TF101?
    Good luck.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your suggestion.

I let it charge on the USB for 24 hrs - no luck.

I was really hoping to be able to restore without losing any data.

If there are no other suggestions then I will try wiping the data later today.
    sculptedstylus likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I performed the data wipe and the TF101 appears to be working fine.

Question: Do you recommend installing a custom recovery? If so how would I do this and is there one you recommend?

And if I do, I believe from your earlier post, that I need to root the device. Can I ever go back to a stock set-up?

I have appreciated your help.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Glad you got it working! :Good:

Your question is harder to answer than you may imagine...

Are you interested and have the time to learn a great deal about the basics in Android?
    Personally I feel totally lost and helpless with a locked bootloader and without a custom recovery. But I spent a great deal of time during the last year+ to acquire a very humble knowledge of Android for the Asus Transformer.

There is a good and valid reason Asus prevents users from messing with the inner workings of the tablet. Most people do not have the patience to learn how to do so safely or inclinitation to acquire the knowledge necessary.
    If they would make it easy, they'd just have to deal with a lot of angry customers and bricked tablets.
    So imo the deal they offer: "Ok, if you really want to tinker, here's the unlock tool but you will loose any and all support from us if you use it" is a fair one.
    People still on warranty should think very hard about throwing Asus' support away.
    Once your warranty is up, it's another story...

With an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery you do have a great deal more options to keep your device in good order or repair it if something goes wrong (leaving the option of running customized software for your device aside for the moment). But it is also much easier to damage your device in ways hardly achievable on stock software, IF you make mistakes, do not research enough, "just go for it", follow the first guide you can find without checking and double checking....
    I have seen quite a few users brick their tablets absolutley needlessly because they were operating on half-baked information and just did not read enough.

I never owned a TF101, learned everything on a TF700 and now the TF701, so I cannot give you detailed instructions.
    Usually you need to unlock the bootloader to be able to install a custom recovery.
    With a custom recovery installed you can root your stock software if you want or flash a custom rom which would be rooted anyway.
    On many devices it is also possible to root the stock software without unlocking the bootloader (and option I do not like because it does not allow you to install a custom recovery and/or give you fastboot access to your tablet).

I would recommend for you to browse the Development section of the TF101 forum here and if you don't find what you're looking for check out the TF101 forum on XDA.
    Read a lot, use Wikipedia for terms you don't know, lurk, ask questions - make a decision only when you feel confident you understand what you are about to do.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    you can recover the data by trying to go into apx mode(downloading the drivers) then using easyflasher to flash twrp recovery then going into recovery and backing up your stuff. then do a factory reset in the wipe menu.then just extact your files from the backup

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links