Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Unable to Charge

I know this is probably the most posted subject in the help section of this forum. I have browsed through a lot of it and cannot find a conclusive solution to my specific problem. I also have questions i did not find answers too. Here's my issue:

So the tablet itself has not been used for months. It has been in storage, in its box for about 6 months. It appears it was left on when it was stored, thus draining the battery to 0%. I attempted to turn on the tablet and was not able to. nothing happened when i pressed power or held it the first time. the second time i tried it presented a battery icon that was drained and was partially colored red at the bottom. the icon indicates that it is dead. I plugged the tablet into the stock USB cable and wall wart. the tablet did not respond and i had to hold the power button for about 3 seconds in order to get that drained battery icon from before. I plugged the tablet into my PC and nothing happened on the tablet but on my computer, windows began installing the device driver (successfully) all the while the tablet appears off. I didnt even know it was possible to install a driver on a device that was off.
    So I plugged the tablet back into the wall after a bit of time and it immediately turned on, presenting me with the "eee pad" icon an the "ASUS" icon. the tablet does turn on however it turns itself back off after a few seconds on the lock screen. The battery icon has a red exclamation point in it and the charging symbol never appears even though it is plugged into the wall. If i unplug the tablet and the plug it back in after a minute or so, the same thing happens. It turns on, loads, and then turns off due to no charge being available. Plugging it into the PC yields the same results.
    I read somewhere that the battery icon should be present on the screen when the tablet is off and charging. This indicates the tablet is excepting the charge. mine does not do that. if I press the power button for a second or two while its plugged in and off, the battery icon in red and low shows up for a second then disappears. This is the only battery icon i can get to show up. it never shows up as green either, only red and only red on the lower portion of the battery symbol.
    I don't have the keyboard/dock and I have tried charging my phone with the stock wall wart and it does indeed charge, however i read somewhere that just because it charges your phone, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is charging the tablet. this is because the ASUS wall wart can output at 5v and 12v. when its not working properly it will stil charge at 5v, which is not enough for the tablet but it is enought for a phone, this explains the discrepancy. I am not sure if that's the case here though, i feel like the tablet should still stay on when it turns on as long as its charging, regardless if how slow it is, right? or wrong? i dont know......thats why i need help, lol. I'm just guessing at this pointy. Also, because ASUS had to be an "Apple-Jerk" and create its own proprietary port and plug for charging I have no means of checking if the fault is in the cable or not. Not without going out and finding another that is, which is offensive to me btw.

Anywas, if someone can give me some insight as to why this is occurring and how i can fix it I would appreciate it immensely. I know about the freezing the wart technique and the bending the prongs on the wart technique. I just do not think those apply to this situation, because the wall wart does charge my phone. but does that mean it working enough to charge my phone and not enough to charge the tablet? I dont know, can someone answer that for me? I also am having trouble finding a replacement wart that is 12v laying around anywhere, to try it out and see if it s the problem. I kinda feel like the problem may be bigger than that.
    it's weird, because the tablet is recognized when i plug it into the PC so obviously the cable works to an extent. The tablet also still knows to turn itself on when it is plugged into a power as it is normally supposed to do. Every time i plug it into a power source (PC or wall) it turns itself on, this to me indicates that it recognizes the charging cable being plugged into power, yet it wont charge.....what gives!?!?!?!

Thanks in advance

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Welcome to the forum!

The first thing to try is to plug the 101 into a computer via the USB and let it slow charge for several hours. This seems to work when a tablet has been totally discharged.

Here are more battery related tips...[FAQ] The definitive thread to battery related matters on the Asus range of tablets

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Welcome to the forum. As MikeM states, we have an extensive thread on battery use, the link he provided is the one we use to gather tips and advice on the topic. You can use the "search thread" option to help in your research.

The stock charger as you know outputs differing voltage depending on whether your tablet is recognized when you plug it in. So it is possible that the problem is the charger itself. Try the tips you mentioned as they do apply in your situation. After months left in a box it's possible your battery is DOA but it sounds like it is taking some charge.

I'm going to close this thread and refer you to the "Battery Use Guide" - "the definitive thread" which covers everything you descibed.
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-04-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links