Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Frederuco
  • 1 Post By serbrian

Thread: HELP! New TF101 owner - Unable to upgrade firmware either automatically or manually.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

HELP! New TF101 owner - Unable to upgrade firmware either automatically or manually.

Hi everyone! I sincerely hope that you're willing to be patient with a newcomer to Android tablets and willing to help me with a question that has been asked a million times before!

I'd like to preface my post (and forthcoming posts) by saying that I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope that what I am typing is coherent.

I'm far from a dummy when it comes to computers, but other than my old HTC Wildfire I have very little experience with Android. When I look at the Master Help Guide I feel completely lost, even though I know what I am looking for.

I traded my iPad 2 for this ASUS TF101 (which I am using now) yesterday, because as fine as the iPad is, I need a little bit more freedom and flexibility with my tablet. I got the aforementioned tablet, docking keyboard and a leather case for it all in an even trade, and I think I got a fantastic deal. Even got the original packaging... and there's not a ding or scratch on it.

So starting fresh, I immediately downloaded the apps that I needed and set up the account with no trouble. I noticed that in the bottom corner there was a notification about a firmware update.

I downloaded said update with no trouble, but upon installing it the following occured:

1. I got the graphic with the "unpacking box", which installed about a quarter of the progress bar.
    2. Suddenly I got a graphic with the Android character and an exclamation point. Nothing else happed after that.

I repeated the download and tried again for a second and third time without success. The same issue happened.

So, I hopped on Google and was directed here.

Here is my relevant technical information:

Android version 4.0.3

Kernel version 2.6.39.4-00002-g2977a0d android@neptune#1

Version IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.11-20120221

After a look through your Master Help List, I saw I could download firmware from the ASUS website. I downloaded the following firmware update from them:

Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Firmware: V9.2.1.27 Only for WW SKU (Android 4.0.3)

I then:

1. Unzipped file
    2. Moved and renamed the remaining zipfile as per instructions into root of sd
    3. Followed the cold booting procedure exactly from the instructions

While I was able to locate the update file, upon doing so I recieved a "Status 7" error message upon install. As before, I repeated the process twice more so that I was certain it was not a one or two-time message.

Hopefully I have shown that I have at least made an effort to do things myself before coming here and asking everyone to do my work for me.

I'm extremely frustrated about this issue and I hope that you are all willing to give me a hand... and if necessary, baby-step me through the process.

Thanks!

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Welcome to the forum Serbrian, as you have stated, you certainly have made an effort to find a solution to your problem. I'm certain that one of the techier mods or members will come to your aid shortly. Do you know if your 101 was rooted previously? This is usually the case when it won't update.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Welcome to the forum Serbrian, as you have stated, you certainly have made an effort to find a solution to your problem. I'm certain that one of the techier mods or members will come to your aid shortly. Do you know if your 101 was rooted previously? This is usually the case when it won't update.
    Thanks for the welcome and the reply... I have been refreshing this forum since I first posted!

I had absolutely no idea if it was rooted, so thanks to your question I was motivated to find out. I downloaded the Root Checker Basic app and yes indeed, it is.

Now, this leaves me with even more questions - but primary among them is, what do I do now regarding the update?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

HELP! New TF101 owner - Unable to upgrade firmware either automatically or ma...

Most likely there is a stock app that was removed and this is preventing you from updating.

I would download the GooManager app and install a custom recovery. Tap the menu button in the upper right of the app and choose the Install OpenRecovery script. Grant SU if prompted.

Once TWRP is installed, boot to recovery (vol down and power for 12-15 seconds and then vol up at the white text). Once in TWRP choose the install option and then choose the unzipped (but still zipped) Asus firmware. This will force an update to the latest stock firmware and also unroot and you will be 100% stock.

See more details here: Frederuco's Guide to flash the TF101 back to stock
    serbrian likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the response, Frederuco. I'm going to do as you suggested right now, and will report back later. Wish me luck!
    Frederuco likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Frederuco - that was a perfect, simple solution.

I'm now running the latest firmware on a 100% stock model. The whole process took a mere 10 minutes!

I was so worried about bricking my system that although I'd read the thread you referenced, I wanted to make sure I'd not do something I would live to regret. Turns out that it wasn't even a legetimate concern.

Thank you very, very much!

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

HELP! New TF101 owner - Unable to upgrade firmware either automatically or ma...

No problem!

Btw, it is almost impossible to brick the TF101. We can use NVFlash if it doesn't boot.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Serbrian, really glad you got it working! I think you'll enjoy your 101, it's the one I've got, it's a real sturdy and dependable workhorse! When Frederuco stepped into the picture you got the best help around the forum! Of course, I wouldn't say anything else, he's my boss!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links