Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

connection of a monitor and external hard drive

I am new to the tablet world. I'd like to know if it is possible to connect a monitor and an external hard drive to the A SUs tablet with Android 3.1 or 3.2? Thank you

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    If the monitor has an HDMI port you should be in business for showing movies. Don't know about normal operation.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I believe that the HDMI out will mirror the display (angry birds, or whatever is playing on the screen) to a 720p or higher device.

As for the external HDD, it will work. Some external drives (specifically Seagate) require more power than 1 USB port can supply. In this case, you need a 2 headed USB cable and to use both USB ports, or plug one into a wall adapter. I have a 500 GB WD drive that works great with the TF. SSD's take lest power, but it is best to try your drive to see if it will work. There should be some listed in the Accessories Section of the forum. I will try to find a link for you.

Edit: See this thread for USB Accessories for the dock that are proven working/not working: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...list-come.html
    Last edited by Frederuco; 08-01-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    you can plug a HD into the usb port if you have the keyboard dock.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    I believe that the HDMI out will mirror the display (angry birds, or whatever is playing on the screen) to a 720p or higher device.

As for the external HDD, it will work. Some external drives (specifically Seagate) require more power than 1 USB port can supply. In this case, you need a 2 headed USB cable and to use both USB ports, or plug one into a wall adapter. I have a 500 GB WD drive that works great with the TF. SSD's take lest power, but it is best to try your drive to see if it will work. There should be some listed in the Accessories Section of the forum. I will try to find a link for you.

Edit: See this thread for USB Accessories for the dock that are proven working/not working: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...list-come.html
    One of the important reasons for getting a TF was to use it on trips that involve photography and I have looked around at external hard drives so that I can store photographs until I return home.

In the end I bought a "Western Digital My Passport Essential SE", but I am sure there must be others with similar specification.

It's a USB 3.0 device (it transfers data about three times faster than USB 2.0) that stores up to a Terra-byte of data and crucially, its power consumption is such that it can be driven from a single USB port on the TF dock.

Other things that I discovered in my searches: Gallery does not see an external hard drive, so I have loaded QuickPic to look at my "rushes". Neither displays RAW images, but (for Canon cameras) you can download CR2-thumbnails, which does, from the Market. I have set up all of my cameras to produce RAW and large JPEG files simultaneously and that solves the problem.

I paid 85 for the hard drive from a local supplier who was willing to let me try things until I found one that did the job, but I suspect that a Google search would find a lower price.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Sorry for your troubles surrounding this.

I have a 500 GB drive in an external enclosure and it works fine with the 1 USB port. My suggestion will be to stay away from a USB 3.0 drive if possible as they take more power to function by design to get the boost in speed.

The TF USB ports on the sides are only USB 2.0, so a 3.0 drive is going to act as a 2.0 however you may deisre the 3.0 speed for your computer.

Another suggestion is to use a USB Y-cable (that should have come with the drive) and plug the 2nd end into the TF Wall adapter to supply additional power. I am assuming that you are probably using the 2nd USB port for a CF reader for your memory cards. You can check the Accessories section for a thread (which is stickeied and on top of the first page) about accessories compatible with the dock to see what ones are on there.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Sorry for your troubles surrounding this.

I have a 500 GB drive in an external enclosure and it works fine with the 1 USB port. My suggestion will be to stay away from a USB 3.0 drive if possible as they take more power to function by design to get the boost in speed.

The TF USB ports on the sides are only USB 2.0, so a 3.0 drive is going to act as a 2.0 however you may deisre the 3.0 speed for your computer.

Another suggestion is to use a USB Y-cable (that should have come with the drive) and plug the 2nd end into the TF Wall adapter to supply additional power. I am assuming that you are probably using the 2nd USB port for a CF reader for your memory cards. You can check the Accessories section for a thread (which is stickeied and on top of the first page) about accessories compatible with the dock to see what ones are on there.
    Didn't mean to imply that I had troubles. The WD drive works fine - it is entirely backward compatible with USB 2.0 and operates within the power output of USB2. I put SD cards straight into the slot on the dock and I have a card reader for my CF cards and that too works well.

The USB 2 transfer rate is OK for a days shooting, but it is helpful to have the extra speed of USB 3 when I am downloading several days-worth to the PC when I get home.

Thanks for your interest.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links