Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RagingAtMyMachine

Thread: Dropped tablet the screen cracked but touch still worked, now not so much.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

Dropped tablet the screen cracked but touch still worked, now not so much.

After a year+ of having this lovely device and it spending most of that time surviving in the hands of Captain Destruct-O AKA, the 4 year old Tasmanian devil I gave birth to. IIIIII was the one that dropped the tablet. The screen cracked but still displayed and was responsive to touch...... for a little bit. Some time over the course of the day it went into sleep mode and when I tried to turn it back on. No display. The volume was up so when I connected the charger (thinking it might have died) I heard the charging "ding". I got online to google it and found this amazing forum and all you wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable people!! I read about the connector cable losing connection when being dropped and decided to pop this baby open. Everything went fine, display was restored, All was well... for about a week. Now the screen is unresponsive. I have rebooted (holding in power button). Cold rebooted. Nothing. There have been no further drops to my knowledge. Not sure what my next step should be. Is there any chance this is anything besides the digitizer or should I just put on my lipstick now and prepare to find out I am screwed. I have seen the guide to replacing this digitizer and I gotta say... its a bit intimidating. I am not at all interested in spending 200+ for someone else to repair the screen as I can just get a new one for just a little more but I am not opposed to a lower cost DIY option providing its not throwing good money after bad so to speak. Thanks in advance.

Preparing For The Worst,
    Rage

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1053 times
    Welcome to the forum Rage....I'm no repair guru but, meh--it doesn't sound good. I've read often on this forum that the cable(s) can loosen/detach fairly easily, even in a light drop. Goodonya for taking it apart and getting that step done. It's not doing anything at this point? Holding down Vol & Power buttons do nothing? No shimmer or noise? Not sure what to suggest...check back tho, there are some pretty handy thinkers around--and more than a few that have done some serious repair. Cheers.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Welcome to the forum Rage....I'm no repair guru but, meh--it doesn't sound good. I've read often on this forum that the cable(s) can loosen/detach fairly easily, even in a light drop. Goodonya for taking it apart and getting that step done. It's not doing anything at this point? Holding down Vol & Power buttons do nothing? No shimmer or noise? Not sure what to suggest...check back tho, there are some pretty handy thinkers around--and more than a few that have done some serious repair. Cheers.

First off... THANKS FOR REPLYING!!!
    Second off, the buttons work fine. I can get to and see the login screen, its password protected (maybe they all are?). I can not enter the code though. It does not recognize touch at all. That's new. It was a light drop from about 2 feet??.. but directly face down and the crack is sort of spiderwebbed. I was actually shocked that it cracked. I have seen it survive worse at the hands of destructo, including a headbutt. Thanks again for the reply and I will keep checking in until someone tells me what I want to hear :
    eejit likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1053 times
    Aye, okay. I thought when you hit power you were getting bubkis.
    There are other similar threads around...but I haven't come across one with what you wanna hear yet.
    A dropped TF 300 here.
    Another one here.
    And some digitizer chatter here.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    91 times
    Sorry to hear about your tablet =(. The display assembly is 2 layers or pieces: the LCD and the digitizer (on top). Which part cracked and is spider-webbing? If it's the top one, than you must replace the digitizer. I've seen the slightest, smallest crack throw the digitizer off. It's pretty sensitive. If the bottom part is cracked and you can only see part of your display, than an LCD replacement is what you would need. Parts can be found (fairly) cheap, if you're willing to look around, but the labor is the hard part. If you're not experienced, I would not attempt the replacement. If both the LCD and the digitizer is broken, you might be able to find a fully assembled piece and then replacement might be easier, albeit more expensive.

Your TF101 is probably out of warranty anyways, but we do offer paid repairs for it. I'm not 100% sure of the price to replace the display but I don't think it'll be more than $200 with the labor included.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    210 times
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    Tab 32 GB + Dock was mine now my wife's
    LG Optimus V
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Ads