Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

USB stick/drive issues

Hi, long time listener first time caller... no wait that's a lie, I've had my transformer about 48 hours and only ordered it 24 hours before that...

However...

My Transformer fails to recognise USB memory sticks, flash drives, pen drives, whatever you want to call them. I managed to get it to work *once* so I know what I'm looking for, but no amount of rebooting whilst docked or not, with the USB key in or out, undocking and redocking, will actually get the Transformer to recognise it. I do not get the notification on the home screen, nor can I find the drive via the File Manager (root /Removable).

Flatly, if I can't get this USB issue sorted this device goes from "viable as an aid at work" to "useless for anything but novelty at home" - we don't have a WiFi network at work and I can't install the USB connectivity drivers to my work PC so the only file transfer method would be email/upload files then use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, connect the Transformer then download things. Leaving me with a very tiny storage cubby-hole on either side of the Transformer dock.

Model : TF101 (aren't they all?)
    Android Version : 3.1
    Kernel Version : 2.6.36.3-00011-g3eb19ec android@Mercury #1
    Build Number : HMJ37.WW_epad-8.4.4.11-20110711
    MobileDock Version : EP101-0209

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Just curious...if you slowly insert the USB stick while docked and stop when it pops up with the external storage found. Some users have noted that certain devices will not work if fully inserted in the USB ports but have to be maybe 95% inserted to work.

If that doesn't work, maybe a hard reset, or a factory reset might possibly fix it. You may also want to try to exchange your dock if you bought it locally and see if the dock may be defective if one of the other solutions doesn't work.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Interesting suggestion, so I tried it - but no success. Both USB ports, two different USB sticks (checked in my desktop before and after).

Not really keen to go for the factory reset (although I've only had it 48 hours, I'm sure I can redo all my hard work at earning money on Gun Bros) but having bought the thing from Amazon I'd obviously like to avoid the return and replace option if I can.

I messaged Asus Technical Support - but they've gotten back to me just to say that they'd like me to ask in French (I live in France and they've presumably directed it by serial number or IP detection) so I've repeated the question and we'll see what they say.

Going to call UK tech support tonight when I get back from work and see whether they can help.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    You should just have to return the dock to get the issue fixed. I understand not wanting to do the factory reset. You could try the hard reset, it will not erase your data.

Shut the TF down, once powered off press and hold the VOL - and the LOCK button for 10 seconds until you see something on the screen. Release and it will ask you if you want to wipe the data. Press VOL - again to cancel and it will reboot. If you press VOL + here it will wipe your data.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Tried it, failed. It does have all the trappings of a hardware problem. I'll talk to Asus tech support this evening and see if I can either find a fix (I'll post it here for posterity, I won't be the last) and I'll see if I can get them to simply replace the dock without taking away my precious tablet of joy.

In the meantime, how does the factory reset work? I might as well do it sooner rather than later.

P.S. Thanks for your pointers so far Fred

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Factory reset is the same as the hard reset, just press the VOL + button to wipe the data. It puts the tablet in the state you got it from the box. You will have to resync your accounts and most stuff will set itself up (email, calendars, etc) but you may have to re-download all of your apps. They may download automatically, but I am not sure. Also, any home screen settings will be lost. Before you do this, you should also grab anything you put on there (Downloads, pictures, movies) and back it up via the USB to a PC or via microSD card. Some apps (folder organizer, make your clock) allow you to back up the settings to a microSD to easily restore your work later.

Any purchase you made should still be free to download again. I heard of people having issues with EA Games only allowing 1 download per time paid from the market, but I have not tested those waters myself.

You should be able to RMA your dock with out the Tablet. I was able to do that to fix my discharge on my B5O dock while my tablet is being RMA'd to NewEgg.

NP on the tips, glad someone can benefit from them.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah, so no luck - the tech support people guided me through the factory reset via the menus (Settings > Privacy > Factory Reset) but no change in USB connectivity.

So it'll have to go back to Amazon.fr and I'll just have to hope that I get my replacement before I go on holiday on the 7th of August (because I need to work on it while I'm on hols )

So as a tip to anyone else who stumbles upon this thread : take it back and get a new one.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    When you talk to Amazon, see if they will send you a new one while the old one is in transit. Amazon in the States is pretty good about that. They may put a hold on a credit card until they get the old one back, but it can expedite the process.

Good luck!

Cheers

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey all, am an american in England, just bought one from currys/pc world, had same problem with my sandisk 32 gig thumb drive. Did the slow insert idea from a previous post and it worked like a charm! Took a couple tries though to get it right. it is a bit tricky. However, check that the stick doesn't have a proprietary partition with application software that a PC would recognise as a CD drive. Also, if you have a USB extension cable, such as one that comes with a 3G/4G Usb internet dongle, give that a try as well because they have full length leads on the inside that will retain contact with the tracks in the USB connection on the KB Dock.

Hope this helps,
    Stripe
    PS, Honeycomb should recognise both FAT32 AND NTFS partitions..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I tried slow in and out, with a range of memory sticks (mainly corporate freebies, one SanDisk) without any success.

Having now replaced my Transformer completely from another shop (Amazon and everyone else had sold out!) I'm now happily putting files on and off USB keys as Vector Sigma intended.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links