Like Tree1Likes

Thread: a few simple functions i cant seem to find

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

a few simple functions i cant seem to find

Hey guys

Im new to android and am used to IOS, as such im having some diffeculties figuring out how to do basic stuff:

1)create folders (be it in the "apps" menu or the home screen(s)), i tried looking for apps in the market but couldnt find anything useful

2)How can i close apps that are running in the background? what i do now is when the tablet gets slow (after running alot of games/sites) i just shut it down and reboot :S

3) is there a "Restore" function such as the one you get in itunes? so in case i want to revert my tablet to default or if i mess it up i can just restore it to its default software?

4) is there a honeycomb specific market? the market is sorted in a really bad way, i hope google plans on improving it :S half the apps i download are not working well

5) what is a good "word" software substitute? im loving polaris, but when i try and type in hebrew (which the device's whole UI can shift to if i want, and i got the keyboard for) it shows squares as if its missing the fonts

5.1) is it possible to add fonts to polaris?

thanks alot

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    I can hit a few of those for you.

1)create folders (be it in the "apps" menu or the home screen(s)), i tried looking for apps in the market but couldnt find anything useful
    You can't actually create folders in the apps menu. But on your home screens try apps organizer and folder organizer in the market.

2)How can i close apps that are running in the background? what i do now is when the tablet gets slow (after running alot of games/sites) i just shut it down and reboot :S
    To close a specific app that won't, go to settings>applications>manage applications>all>(insert application name here)>force stop

You can also use those steps to clear the cache for individual apps. Or an easier way would be to root and install cache cleaner and do all of them in one shot.

3) is there a "Restore" function such as the one you get in itunes? so in case i want to revert my tablet to default or if i mess it up i can just restore it to its default software?
    settings>privacy>factory data reset

This will revert your tablet to the fresh out of the box state. Your paid apps will still be available to re-download when you sign in to your google account.

4) is there a honeycomb specific market? the market is sorted in a really bad way, i hope google plans on improving it :S half the apps i download are not working well
    No. Just the featured tablet apps section.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by haravovadia View Post
    2)How can i close apps that are running in the background?
    Grab "Advanced Task Killer" from the Market.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    Just the featured tablet apps section.
    Which is only on the US Market, sadly.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Grab "Advanced Task Killer" from the Market.
    I really dont see a need for this. As garemlin stated the factory task killer in the settings menu works as its supposed to...
    "And if you feel there is shelter in this attitude, wait til' you feel the warmth of my grattitude..."

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 03stage2 View Post
    I really dont see a need for this. As garemlin stated the factory task killer in the settings menu works as its supposed to...
    It does, but is rather cumbersome to get to if you don't have the "settings" app on a desktop. I can access ATK with a single click from the notification bar.
    Narsil likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    It does, but is rather cumbersome to get to if you don't have the "settings" app on a desktop. I can access ATK with a single click from the notification bar.
    You can actually create a shortcut to the manage applications right on your homescreen. This is what I do and makes getting to the applications as easy as a single touch.
    "And if you feel there is shelter in this attitude, wait til' you feel the warmth of my grattitude..."

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks guys, while the built in app does work, its only one by one app closing opposed to ATK which shuts down all of them

how do you create a shortcut on the notification bar? i only manage to get them to go on the home screen

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by haravovadia View Post
    how do you create a shortcut on the notification bar? i only manage to get them to go on the home screen
    ATK puts a shortcut icon on the notification bar near the clock by default.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Task killers are not needed. Android does a fine job by itself freeing up resources when needed. Do yourself a favor and pass on the task killer. The only time they are useful is to.kill an app that wont close. But as I already posted that is easy enough to do in settings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links