Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Asus Transformer TF101 - battery drainage still persists despite RMA to Asus

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Asus Transformer TF101 - battery drainage still persists despite RMA to Asus

As the Asus Transformer TF101 is now "history" with several new models being manufactured is it safe to assume that there will be no "cure" for the battery drainage problems associated with this model?
    I have read the various articles on the problem in the "Help" section and have tried many of the suggestions as well as having Asus in Europe examine the machine and who gave it a clear bill of health.
    My problem is that the battery drainage still persists and that is when the keyboard is connected to the tablet there is a substantial and rapid drain on the battery. I have kept logs of the drainage but Asus UK are not prepared to consider any further action to resolve this problem as the machine had been found to be OK after being in their workshop for less than a day.
    It would appear from the comments by members that I will have to keep the two parts of the machine separate until such time as I wish to use the machine.
    If this is so then it defeats the whole object of having a keyboard and tablet that protects the screen when travelling and as a substitute for a laptop.
    The equipment is sound and would have been very useful but for this rather bad default which makes it only effective when connected to the mains or for use as a "toy".
    It would seem that there is no "cure" for this problem nor will there be any solution forthcoming from Asus.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I think your logic is impeccable & you have summed up the situation well.

No, I don't think you will get any further resolution to this given that which you have written above - but to be fair, this issue is not a problem for everyone & only appears to affect a very small percentage of owners (not that this will be any consolation to you, sadly).

Keeping the two parts of the combination separated, as you have understood from elsewhere on the forum, may not be the best solution, but it does work.

If you no longer wish to keep your tf101 then CeX will give you (according to their website) 128 cash for the pair (assuming 16gb) & then you could move on and buy perhaps a nice ASUS X401A-WX089V 14" slimbook for only 240 from Simply Asus (1.7ghz dual core, 4gb RAM, 320gb HDD, USB 3.0, HDMI) Windows 7 (upgrade to Win8 for only an extra 15)

It's only an option, but good luck with whatever direction you take.

(I have added some detail to your thread title to help others)

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    If you have a dock made prior to August 2011, there is a chance it has a chip issue that needs to be replaced.

From this thread: ASUS Transformer Battery Drain - FACTS and the REAL SOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001
    If you have a keyboard issue (which can be confirmed easily by checking the MobileDock Battery Saving Mode in the Settings menu - under Screen), turning off the unit to standby, and then pressing any key to try to "wake up" the unit), and any keyboard touch starts up the connected tablet...you have a defective Keyboard Dock unit. If it stays off - congrats - your battery drain issues should be non-existent - assuming that you are running the latest keyboard firmware from last month or else upgraded recently to Android v3.2. Both updates contained the firmware corrections to assure proper battery operations with the proper chipset in the Dock.
    If you pass that test, there is not much else I can say. I have no battery drain issues after having sent my dock in for repair.
    ASUSFAN0001 and helpifIcan like this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your comments and information, they are appreciated. Whilst the CeX offer looks very attractive there is an old saying that goes something like this: "Once bitten, twice shy."
    I find it very hard to accept that an international organisation, like Asus, can produce and market a product with a latent defect and yet still refuse to rectify a problem that is known to them. In this regard I would mention the Japanese car manufacturers who over many years have recalled vast numbers of vehicles with latent defects and have repaired them at their own expense. This has no doubt contributed to the excellent standing that Japanese vehicles enjoy around the world.
    Last edited by ASUSFAN0001; 02-02-2013 at 02:33 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deloki View Post
    Thank you for your comments and information, they are appreciated. Whilst the CeX offer looks very attractive there is an old saying that goes something like this: "Once bitten, twice shy."
    I find it very hard to accept that an international organisation, like Asus, can produce and market a product with a latent defect and yet still refuse to rectify a problem that is known to them. In this regard I would mention the Japanese car manufacturers who over many years have recalled vast numbers of vehicles with latent defects and have repaired them at their own expense. This has no doubt contributed to the excellent standing that Japanese vehicles enjoy around the world.
    That's purely an inaccurate statement.

People tend to use statements like that as generalities...and often they simply don't apply.

In reality - ASUS identified a problem with a previous version tablet due to internal circuitry (a chip) that caused premature draining of the battery. They fix all of those submitted to them for free. Not all of their tablets contained the defect, and it was a limited series shown to have it. No difference than the Japanese car example given.
    Frederuco and helpifIcan like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I got my dock repaired for free. Well, it only cost me $5 to ship it to them, but other than that it was free.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your reply and I note your comments, I cannot be sure from what you have said applied to my machine: that is they replaced a defective chip.
    My machine was taken to their test site in Europe and found to have no problems, no mention was made as to having replaced a defective chip, yet immediately on its return I found the battery drainage issue, when the the keyboard was connected, had not been resolved. I conducted in-depth tests which confirmed that the machine was faulty. After raising the issue again with Asus they refused to discuss the matter any further. In the case of the Japanese motor industry they normally inform the public world-wide that certain vehicles have a latent defect, with Asus their response has been entirely different, no announcement was made that certain machines were sold with latent defects. In order to discover that the machine one purchased is faulty one has to trawl through endless posts on this site in addition to making continual tests trying to determine the cause of the battery drainage.
    It has been a total waste of time, in addition to being unable to use an expensive piece of equipment that I bought eighteen months ago. I does make one wary about the after-sales service of the Asus organisation.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    That's purely an inaccurate statement.

People tend to use statements like that as generalities...and often they simply don't apply.

In reality - ASUS identified a problem with a previous version tablet due to internal circuitry (a chip) that caused premature draining of the battery. They fix all of those submitted to them for free. Not all of their tablets contained the defect, and it was a limited series shown to have it. No difference than the Japanese car example given.
    The my keyboard drain the battery 2,5% hourly, the same drain is in standby or off.

Is the chip on the tablet or on the keyboard?...on the your thread you say keyboard, but here you say the tablet.
    What is the name of the chip?

I set the "MobileDock Battery Saving Mode" and the support Asus told me that it is normal for the tablet turns on when I press a key on the keyboard.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

Asus Transformer TF101 - battery drainage still persists despite RMA to Asus

Quote Originally Posted by deloki View Post
    In the case of the Japanese motor industry they normally inform the public world-wide that certain vehicles have a latent defect, with Asus their response has been entirely different, no announcement was made that certain machines were sold with latent defects.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/13/a...ain-keeps-the/

It may not have made the national news, but it is still an announcement...

Quote Originally Posted by midas99 View Post
    The my keyboard drain the battery 2,5% hourly, the same drain is in standby or off.

Is the chip on the tablet or on the keyboard?...on the your thread you say keyboard, but here you say the tablet.
    What is the name of the chip?

I set the "MobileDock Battery Saving Mode" and the support Asus told me that it is normal for the tablet turns on when I press a key on the keyboard.
    My dock was draining at 15-20% per hour with the bad chip when on or off. 2-3% is not great, but not that bad. Not sure why the keyboard is waking up the tab, mine doesn't when I have the mobile dock battery saving checked.
    Swipe likes this.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    The battery drain caused by a faulty chipset was within the keyboard dock, most common in older version units, but people came across it in multiple KBD models

The B50K series (found in the first 4 digits of the KBD serial number) was the most common, with some B60K and a few B70K's as well.

An RMA process to ASUS solved the issue completetly.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links