Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

new transformer, continuous loop, now continual reboot

i new to the forum. i did some searching and didn't find anything. if i've missed, i'm sorry.

i just got the transformer thursday afternoon. now it's saturday evening. i didn't do much to it. yesterday i added voice, swype, and the amazon app store. this morning i put on maybe 12 gigs of movies. almost immediately it wouldn't always turn on, requiring me to hold onto the power button for 5 or more seconds before it would soft boot (asus splash screen and then lock screen). today, i noticed it starting to soft reboot itself during times of inactivity. i would leave it on the couch and find it two minutes later soft rebooting.

i checked for an update and it had a firmware update, so i ran that. but that didn't seem to change anything except that, 20 minutes later, it was in an asus splash screen loop. i left it for two hours or so and no change. i finally wiped it clean and started over. i hoped that did it, but, while i was typing this, i saw it do a soft reboot.

any thoughts? do i need to return it?

help!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Welcome to the forum. What OS are you running the current version is 3.1? What firmware 8.4.4.11?
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm Android version 3.1. build number 8.4.4.11-20110711.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    OK you're up to date. It takes a little getting used to as far as how long to press and hold the power button but here is a short guide.

If the Transformer is shut off: Press the power button for about 4 seconds and let it go and it should come up the the start screen.

If it was only asleep just a simple press and release of the power button should wake it up.

To put it asleep just a simple press and release of the power button and to shut it down just press and hold the power button until it asks if you want to shut it down.

Now do you have a micro SD card?
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    shouldn't it stay asleep until i either shut it down with a press and hold or it runs out of battery? otherwise, it should just be asleep, right? however, sometimes, i've been required press and hold for a while to get it to turn on. is that a setting somewhere? or am i missing something? sometimes, when i disconnected from the keyboard, it would turn off and i'd have to press and hold, but others it wouldn't. (that reminds me, this morning i plugged a usb drive (300 gigs) into the keyboard and the file manager never showed me the files on the drive.)

finally, i do not have a micro sd card in the transformer. i do have one in my moto droid i can use for troubleshooting if you're wondering whether i have access to one.

and thanks for the help.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I was going to suggest that 12 gigs of movies on the internal storage may be running it out of room to operate properly. I use a micro SD for movies, music, and pictures and i keep the Transformers internal storage for the OS, system files, apps that I download and their data, email, etc...

So until you can pick up a 16gb micro SD or whatever you decide to do I would clean off some room on the internal storage or at least 2=3 gigs so that things can function properly.

After you do that i would go ahead and do a simple hard reset as follows.
    Hard Reset:
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off and Press and Hold the power button and the Down volume button together for 6-10 seconds and let them both go. You should see a little shape in the middle of the screen so just press and release the Down volume button again and let it reboot. If you own the dock be sure and do this with the dock connected.
    Current Devices:

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i will give that a shot, thanks. i wiped all data already, so hopefully, i'll get up and running.

thanks again,

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcanderson View Post
    i will give that a shot, thanks. i wiped all data already, so hopefully, i'll get up and running.

thanks again,
    No problem. Post back how its going. You may have a lemon but there is a good chance that its really OK.
    Current Devices:

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    so yesterday worked great. every time i hit the power button, the pad turned on. no reboots. everything was great. this morning, when i woke up, everything was still great. it turned on. i read some things. i watched some youtube. no problem. i plugged it in and charged it until i left for work. i put it in my briefcase at about 97% charged. when i pulled it out of my briefcase at the office, maybe an hour later, it didn't turn on with a simple push of the button. i had to hold the button down for several seconds. when it finally booted, the charge was at 86%. so i lost 11% charge in an hour without ever touching it. and somehow, it got all the way turned off. any suggestions? if no one else is experiencing things like this, i should probably return it, no?

thanks in advance,

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Is there anyway that the Transformer is sliding into something in the briefcase and the buttons are being depressed? We had someone here who actually had a really tight fit and it was forcing his power button to be constantly engaged.
    Current Devices:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links