Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Power button stopped working. Cannot turn on, turn off, reboot Transformer

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just open your transfformer. I fixed my power button in less than 5 mins. Took me longer to get the 6 point tip for my drill.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times
    Quote Originally Posted by caioincau View Post
    I am having sone troyble with my tf power button ,i haveto press it many times o work ...i'm afraid to open this...did you have othersolution?
    I don't know if this helps but sometimes we need to let the Transformer do it's job. I have been fortunate with my power button but i remember starting out that i was confused at how long to hold it and sometimes it was really frustrating so the following paragraph maybe wordy but it works 99% of the time. Good luck and I hope it helps you out.

If the transformer is all the way off Press the power button for about 4 seconds and let it go and it should come up the the start screen. If it was only asleep just a simple press and release of the power button should wake it up. To put it asleep just a simple press and release of the power button and to shut it down just press and hold the power button until it asks if you want to shut it down.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Now its working if i use some strength ,i will wait and see if it does not work i will try to open this =/
    I`m afraid to break more...

If i open what i have to do with the buttom?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by caioincau View Post
    If i open what i have to do with the buttom?
    It's just a hole in the frame and plastic button - put the button back in the right position. You will easily figure out when you see it.

Don't be afraid You can do it!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Trying it now

I am frustrated since a while with the power button problem. Just had a call with ASUS support generated an RMA, but then I saw this thread. Might as well give it a try, then be without the tablet for a few days.

Will post an update if it worked or if I screwed it up !

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xplora View Post
    I am frustrated since a while with the power button problem. Just had a call with ASUS support generated an RMA, but then I saw this thread. Might as well give it a try, then be without the tablet for a few days.

Will post an update if it worked or if I screwed it up !
    Alright wasted 1 hour. Here are my thoughts:

Problem solved...well not really, but as mentioned by others its the plastic bit that is the problem, the power button is fine. Put a small piece of tape in between so I have to push the power button less, but its a hit and miss. Found something interesting:

The blue plastic inside the power button is softer than the volume button plastic, hence I presume at higher temperatures and pressure it kind of absorbs the impact of the "button-push" instead of edging it forward to the actual power switch. So I will use it the way it is or find a better solution, one thought is to replace the inside plastic bit with a harder plastic, should work, on the other hand should I RMA it ?

Atleast the power button is working rather than the earlier "not working at all even if you jump on it" situation.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by molo View Post
    Yes, the plastic button was misaligned inside, the button is just dummy plastic, nothing special. So I just back and forth the metal frame (case).
    When I was putting the frame back I stared from the left side of frame where the buttons are.
    The whole perimeter are handled with plastic clips.

Quick instruction:
    1. Take off 2 screw bolts at the bottom of frame
    2. Push the frame from back side to front when you open it
    3. Put the power button back
    4. Put the left side of frame where the buttons are first (make sure the power button is set ok)
    5. Put the whole frame back starting from front (screen) side to back

Unfortunately I didn't take the pictures of all steps, I just was badly surprised when I saw the broken power button after my kid was playing with it and just wanted to have it fixed.

Here are photos that I have:
    Attachment 646
    Attachment 647
    Attachment 648
    Attachment 649

Also the original photos (4000x3000px), just in case:
    http://onsoa.com/d/transformer/IMG_2042.JPG
    http://onsoa.com/d/transformer/IMG_2043.JPG
    http://onsoa.com/d/transformer/IMG_2044.JPG
    http://onsoa.com/d/transformer/IMG_2045.JPG

Hope it helps. Good luck!

-molo
    This is the solution, thanks for trying it and explaining it!

I had read that it was applications that were poorly written and causing this issue, but I am so glad i found this post.

The instructions aren't terribly clear, but it is a mechanical problem with the switch, not a OS or app issue. Once I got the frame off and could press the button directly, it worked every time, proving that something had either ever so slightly moved or the plastics had slightly "compressed".

I have glued a tiny square of plasticised paper (it must be very thin material) and now it works again.

That is a huge saving of time compared to placing a warranty claim.

Thank you to Molo who tested the solution first.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Anybody send it back to Asus for this? Is it covered? Do they fix it right or just patch it and hope it lasts for the 1 year? Mine is at the point of unusable.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I easily got an RMA from Asus of the power button issue, but decided not to send it and do what molo suggested ! BTW, the trick that works for me is the following:

I opened it tried to align etc. did not work that great. But accidentally found this out:

While you are pressing the power button for sleep or shut down or start up, just press the bezel inwards ( ie the bottom of the tablet upwards ) and then press the power button, its an alignment issue nothing else. Works perfectly fine now Everytime !

Hope it works for you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Just recently out of the blue the tf power button has become more and more unresponsive. Some days it responds to a hard press no worries but sometimes it completely unresponds to presses. the tf rarley is turned off but is asleep and is reset regularly. I think i will take it back today as it is not rooted and still under waranty. i will let you know how it goes. (JBHIFI australia)
    ASUS EEE Pad Transformer TF101 32G + Dock (ICS)
    ASUS EEE PC 900A 16G SSD (Ubuntu 11.04)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (ICS)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads