Thread: TF101 doesn't charge

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

TF101 doesn't charge

Hi. Several weeks ago, I purchased a TF101 for my wife. Long story short, our son was carrying it when he was jumped on by a couple obnoxious dogs and it ended up getting the corner smashed into the wall...breaking the screen. I replaced the screen, but I am unable to get it to power on. It did charge and power after the repair, but I haven't been able to get it to work since. I'm sure the charger works, I was able to charge the dock beforehand. Tried all the resets listed as well.

Anyone out there have any in depth knowledge of the product that can steer me in the right direction, even if it involves tearing it apart. I do PC/laptop repair for a living, so there's no boundry for what i'm willing to try and am comfortable trying. Thank you for your time

Jason

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Welcome, jkaszynski.

Since you're not afraid to take it apart you may want to check the cable connectors. No telling what may have jarred loose.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply. I went over the main ones (battery, the ribbon connector for the charger port; ones I thought were responsible for the power) Can you think of anything specific that I should be looking for, known issues?

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    If the damage was near the power button maybe it's damaged. Check it with a meter if you have one. Otherwise maybe you can short across the switch contacts.

Did you try turning on with the charger connected?
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    The ding was on the opposite corner, but whose to say that it didn't do anything to the power side. I'll try maybe shorting the power pins and see if I get anywhere. Any idea what wires i'd check to see if i'm getting charge through the charging port?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Here's a tear down video that might help. LINK

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi All,
    I don't know if this is of any help but i would like to share some experience I have with my TF101. (Please note that the stuff i have done is at my own risk so if you do the same it is at yours ) BTW i apologize in advance for my long winded (and first) post....

To start, I have 3 TF 101's at home. 1 for me and 2 for my kids. Due to these being in the hands of little people they have had their fair share of knocks. As a result they have had issues from the screen not working, sound not working as well as not charging. The reason i am stating this is because i am tipping that i am a rare case of someone who has 3 of these at home and is willing to open them up to fix them.

Due to having 3 of these i have had plenty of stuff to test with when something went wrong. As I am also a bit of a hack technician i opened them up and managed to fix all the issues so far (sorta). I recon I between the 3 tablets I have opened them up around 10 times so far. (to the point that the bezels on 2 of them are getting a little slack around the edges). I thought i would point out some of my symptoms and how I fixed them. As this is a thread about charging i will put that in first and be lazy and dump the other 2 in here as well. NOTE: If you choose to do any of this you do this at your own risk!!!

To cover off most of my learning with these tablets most problems with them come from internal ribbon cables and connectors coming out of alignment during a knock (and they don't need to be big knocks to do it). to fix it you have to know how to open it up. (I leaned how to do this off a Youtube video using a plastic guitar pick Like Mike M's post.) Anyways.....

Problem 1 - Charging:

My most recent problem is my daughters 101 stopped charging. I did several tests to see if it was the tablet or the charger buy swapping chargers and tablets around. I noted that chargers and cables that would charge the other 2 tablets would not charge my daughters one, meaning the tablet was at fault. I suspected that this was due to another dropping so i opened up the unit to see if anything was loosened or disconnected. I couldn't see anything immediate so plugged it in to see what voltages were getting where. I saw that the battery was slowly charging but when i turned the tablet on it still wouldn't give me the 'lightning bolt' symbol. I noted that i didn't seem to be getting the 15 volts to the tablet but it was trickle charging. Based on some reading of this forum i noted that these tablets can actually trickle charge off standard USB, and that was what was happening in this case. Therefore it seemed that this unit was not signaling the ASUS charger to say it was a TF 101 and gimme the 15 volts. I remembered that i had a car charger for these (for those long trips with the kids) which does not need to know if it is charging a TF 101 or a mobile phone as the plug is hard wired into the charger. I went to the car and plugged it in and low and behold it started charging! Based on my extensive testing I would say that something is wrong with the socket on the tablet that is not signaling the charger to tell it to step up to 15V. Therefore if you have tried the freezing, the pin bending, soft and hard resetting and other fixes in this forum to no avail it could be due to the tablet, and therefore a 3rd party charger that you CANNOT change the lead on may be a workaround, as it will most likely always give you 15V.

Problem 2 - Backlight lit but no picture:

Again due to a good dropping my son's tablet stopped displaying anything. When you turned it on if you looked closely at the screen you could see that it kinda lit up (so it was doing something) but no display. I pulled it apart and started examining the connectors. With the back off the tablet if you put it face down you will see a black cable that runs under the battery lead. This is a metal plug that has a bit of tape over it (i guess to stop it popping out). I checked this an i found that it was not in right. I pushed it back in and turned it on and it fixed the problem.) NOTE: This may also fix the problem if your screen only half displays, or doesn't display all the colours.) I have seen all 3 of those due to this lead coming partly out.

TF101 opened up - screen cable.jpg

Problem 3 - No Sound:

Again due to another dropping one of the tablets lost sound from the speakers. When I plugged in headphones I didn't get any sound either. AGAIN i pulled the back off the unit (almost falls off now ) and looked inside. I found that one of the clips on the audio board ribbon connector cable had popped up and therefore it lost connection. I CAREFULLY pushed the ribbon cable into the socket and CAREFULLY pressed down the thin white clip over the top to clip the ribbon cable in. These connectors are VERY FRAGILE and therefore i would suggest not using anything metal on them at all, i used the guitar pick i used to open the TF 101 case to clip the white strip down again. I fired it up again and it was all good!

TF101 opened up - audio.jpg

Anyway I hope this was of some help. Again I apologize for the long post!

Cheers,

Phatbeetz.
    Frederuco and janner43 like this.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    No need to apologize for the long post. It may be long, but it has some good content!

Thanks for joining us here!

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks Frederuco! After re reading my post i will be more cautious of Chrome's spell checker to avoid calling tablets 'tables'
    Frederuco likes this.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatBeetz View Post
    Thanks Frederuco! After re reading my post i will be more cautious of Chrome's spell checker to avoid calling tablets 'tables'
    It's like it never happened.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links