Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post
    Two of my other grandchildren tried the battery pack on their tablets.
    One has an Elocity A7, which has a round hole for the charger. We finally got an adapter that would fit the round (male) hole, but when the battery pack was turned on, the lights would go out in about 1-2 seconds.

The other one is an Ematic, which also has a round (male) hole for recharging. We couldn't even find an adapter to fit into the hole.

Any suggestions, or should I look for a Elocity and Ematic forum and post these questions on those forums?
    Or maybe this battery pack doesn't work with all small tablets.

I thought all small 5v tablets would has USB ports to charge, but I guess that is not true since the two above have round holes. Each of their power cords has AC plug on one end and round (female) plug on opposite end.
    And here I thought we were doing nicely with the battery pack and could use it to charge all our devices..
    I doubt you will get the other tablets to work with this charger if they are not charged using the USB family of connections. I know I tried with adapters for old Nokia chargers that used the round pin - none of them worked. Sadly, not all devices are built using the same or even similar charging requirements.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Alice

Check the voltage output on the charger for the Elocity. If it's 9 or 12 VDC, you should be able to charge it from the "Output" jack using that setting. Unfortunately, many smaller name tablets have unique charging requirements.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you both.
    I checked the AC plug on the Elocity power cord and it has: 19V. Is that possible? I connected it to wall socket and plugged it into the Elocity and the Elocity began to charge and so there wasn't a switch of plugs, etc.
    I tried the PowerPack setting at 12V, but Elocity still would not charge. Tried 3 tablets we have, and none of them work with the PowerPack. So, I guess the only hope weI now have is that the PowerPack will at least work with the Asus (when China adapter arrived).
    Really hope the PowerPack will at least work with the Asus as it does not seem to work with any of the other tablets we have.
    Patience is a virtue they say!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    You found the problem - a 19V requirement, too high for 12V to be effective. However, you might leave it connected for a while and see if it is a case of voltage being too low for the charge indicator to work, but still charging at a snail's pace. Just check the battery status indicator on the tablet after an hour or so.

12 V will work with your ASUS. Examples abound.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator47 View Post
    You found the problem - a 19V requirement, too high for 12V to be effective. However, you might leave it connected for a while and see if it is a case of voltage being too low for the charge indicator to work, but still charging at a snail's pace. Just check the battery status indicator on the tablet after an hour or so.

12 V will work with your ASUS. Examples abound.
    Well, I got the Ematic and Irullu to work with the PowerPack. I used the adapter with regular USB on one end and a small USB on the other. I plugged the regular USB into the PP and the other (smaller) USB into the USB port on the 2 tablets (not the round hole that the AC charger uses). They both began to charge. I thought because the power plug had round charger at one end that I would have to connect the PP to the same hole on the 2 tablets, but using the small USB port on the 2 tablets, I got both of them to work with the PP.
    However, I connected the round adapter to PP (for the Elocity) and the other end end to round input on the Elocity. The PP lights came on and then went out right away. I thought I had "blown out" the PP. I tried to turn on the PP again, but it would not turn on. I decided to see if it would charge. I plugged it into wall outlet and now blue light are lighting 1-4. Therefore I believe it is charging because trying to charge the Elocity caused the battery to lose all it's power. That is just a guess.
    I would not have thought that this small Elocity A7 would require so much power (19V), while the other two use just 5V.
    At least I got 2 of them to work with the PP.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Well done, Alice. Yes, I'd steer away from any further experimentation with the 19V tablet. Two out of three ain't so bad, and soon it will be 3 out of four!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Received the adapter from China today. I attached one of the adapters supplied with the PowerPack (had to use yellow as red did not fit). Plugged into the Asus and it began to charge at 3:30 PM (was 77%). Three blue bars were showing. At 4 PM three bars were showing, with one of them flashing on and off. Guess it was discharging, etc. At around 4:30 PM all blue lights went out. I looked at the Asus and it read 100%. Therefore, I can only assume everything is A-OK.
    Once again, hopefully, I will not have to post any more questions on this thread.
    I cannot thank you enough for all the help you kindly provided. If I have a related question, I think it would be a good idea to start a new post rather than increasing the length of this post (and possibly you will see it and help me again).
    Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by alicez; 12-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Great news, Alice.

It is now your formal responsibility to guide any and all future external battery seekers to the Golden Fleece. After all, you will be working from hands on experience, and I have been working only from theory!

Happy Holidays and Keep on Charging!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry for this additional question but hope someone can provide an answer. I tried to turn on the Asus tonight and it would not turn on. I remember charging it to 100% on Dec. 21st. I plugged in the charger and it began to charge. I looked and noticed my grandson forgot to turn off the Wi-Fi and turn on the Airplane mode. Could that have caused the battery to drain all the way down in two days?
    I hope my battery is not faulty.

Please advise and thank you.

P.S. Do I have to recharge it for 8 hours now or just until it reaches 100%.
    It's at 42% now and I thought I could use it, but when I turn it on the main screen comes up but when I click on icon, nothing happens. If I unplug it and click on an icon, I will go to the page. (If I click on Settings, nothing will happen when it is charging. If I unplug it and click on Settings, it will go to Settings). I guess when you are charging it you cannot use the icons (possibly until it is fully charged, or not plugged in). I thought you could use it while you were charging it. I guess not
    though.
    Confusing indeed.
    Last edited by alicez; 12-24-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Alice

It will discharge in the "Sleep" mode if certain apps are running and Wifi is on, as those apps regularly "look at the internet" for updating info. What apps do that is based on what's been installed, and I am no expert on that. Also, the frequency at which these apps query the internet ("refresh interval") contributes to the effect. This is usually called "synchronizing". You will see no external signs of this activity, but it is using battery power every time it happens. What we have done to conserve battery life is to turn Wifi off when we really don't need internet access, and on when we really do. Not the most elegant solution, but effective.

Now for the second question, I'm going to use simple terms, as geekier terms would add little to the issue for you.

As to strange behavior while charging, that's a product of how "clean" your charger's 15V DC output is. Since the charger is reducing 110 V AC to 15 V DC, the output can be "noisy" or "dirty", which means it may have some stray AC or the DC may be pulsating. While this does no harm to the battery being charged, it can cause "interference" to the electronic circuitry operating the transformer. Kinda like the old days when our car engines would cause a buzz in the car radio.

FWIW, my stock ASUS charger creates no noticeable "noise" when attached to my TF300, but my spare (from another company) drives the touch screen response crazy!

It would be interesting to see if the problem occurs when charging the Tablet with your brand new external battery, as that should be pretty "clean" 12 VDC.

As to how long to charge it, 100% is fine after the very first charge of the battery.
    Last edited by Aviator47; 12-24-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Ads