Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

Exclamation My TF-101A DRAINS battery while OFF, yet my Nexus 7 stay 100% for days!! Why?

I am so frustrated with the lousy battery life and constant drain situation with my TF101A, which I've had since Dec of 2011. I also have the accessory Keyboard/Dock/battery. I will charge it up to 100%, turn off WiFi and turn off the TF101A and put if away with the Keyboard Dock attached (both fully charged) for a business run in a couple days. When I boot the system, the Tablet battery is drained about 3% a day and the Keyboard battery is drained about 4 - 5% a DAY! It has been completely turned off!

Yet my 4 month old Google Nexus 7 (16GB) can be fully charged, turned off with the WiFi left in the on mode and in even 3 or 4 days is STILL 100% battery charge when booted up!! The Nexus has a 2x Faster Quad-Core and both are made by ASUS! What the Hey is going on with the TF101?? Why is the TF101 draining battery while totally Off and the Nexus 7 does not?? Is it because Jelly Bean manages the system better than ICS did / does??

I am exceedingly careful in "Conditioning" the LiPO batteries in these, have since new. (I fly RC planes that use LiPO's) What can I do to stop the drain in the TF101?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    I highly recommend the Auto Airplane app by Don for the 101...LINK

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Mike,
    Thanks for the reference and this will probably be very helpful when my TF101 is on. BUT, this doesn't explain why my batteries (in the Tablet and the Keyboard Dock, drain at an insane rate when I manually turn WiFi off and the TF101 is turned off.

Is this a common problem with the ASUS "TF" series, or just the early ones like the TF101 and 201's ???

Just as a footnote, we have several HP Pavilion Notebooks (I'm a IT Manager at a company) and they drain batteries even when turned off, but that is because many Notebook makers designed their notebook to NOT REALLY be off completely when you think you've turn them off. The Processor is still doing operations, like keeping the clock and calendar updated, alarms, oddly enough monitoring the battery condition (which it's draining at the same time!) and other operational stuff. So, is that what's going on in the ASUS TF series Tabs and Google told ASUS not to do that with the Nexus?? Something is obviously different.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    See my suggestions in post #3 in the thread linked below:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-sleeping.html

There is also a plethora of tips and suggestions in the Battery Use Guide.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    Keep the dock and tablet separated. When connected, the dock battery is always trying to charge the tablet battery. When disconnected, my dock drained just 3% in one week (<0.5% per day).

These two posters had the same experience as you (battery drain while OFF and DOCKED):
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ery-drain.html
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ng-charge.html
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times

Re: My TF-101A DRAINS battery while OFF, yet my Nexus 7 stay 100% for days!! Why?

What does the tab say is using battery? I pull mine off charger. Shove it in my laptop bag with wifi off. It goes from 6am to 5pm in my bag with no usage and has 97 percent juice left at 5pm when I start using it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    See my suggestions in post #3 in the thread linked below:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-sleeping.html

There is also a plethora of tips and suggestions in the Battery Use Guide.
    Again, I'm not talking about "Sleep" mode, this is during completely Powered Off of the TF101. As I mentioned, many full size Notebooks aren't really 100% powered off when you think they are. So is this the case with the TF series tablet?? Unless the LiPO batteries that ASUS chose to use in the TF's are cheap crap and drain because they are cheapo's, not really being powered off is the only reasoned answer.

My Battery consumption graph shows the Display as the main power consumer, which obviously can't be the case if the unit is powered off (not in sleep mode). I like the idea of CPU Spy to looks at whats going on though when it is on and in use.

It's still curious that the Nexus 7 does not have this problem in the same conditions.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times

Re: My TF-101A DRAINS battery while OFF, yet my Nexus 7 stay 100% for days!! Why?

Do a complete reset.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    Read my post. Your Nexus 7 does not have a keyboard dock that constantly charges the tablet. Your TF101 does. No need to call the materials "cheap crap". If there is a problem, it's in the hardware charging circuit, not the battery.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Read my post. I suggested some steps to help conserve your battery charge.
    Last edited by Swipe; 11-21-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links