Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

TF101 power/volume buttons don't work + weird trackpad problem

Recently purchased an tf101 and dock. The power and volume buttons do not work. When you move the tablet around, it makes a rattling noise under the buttons like if something is loose.
    I read that some people have power button misaligned issues but not volume.
    My theory was the buttons is loose and would simply be fixed by opening the tablet up.

Also I have this weird issue with the trackpad on the dock where it doesn't work if I move the loose object inside the tablet.
    (not 100% sure but confident it is related)
    If I open the tablet slowly and carefully, everything works fine.

So basically I want to know if its a loose power and volume button somehow interfering with the trackpad, so I can just open it up and plug it back where it belongs.
    Also, if I decide to RMA it, would the company easily find out I opened it? Thanks.
    Sorry if my wording isn't the best.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    903 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kamekaz3 View Post
    Recently purchased an tf101 and dock. The power and volume buttons do not work. When you move the tablet around, it makes a rattling noise under the buttons like if something is loose.
    My theory was the buttons is loose and would simply be fixed by opening the tablet up.

Also I have this weird issue with the trackpad on the dock where it doesn't work if I move the loose object inside the tablet.

So basically I want to know if its a loose power and volume button somehow interfering with the trackpad, so I can just open it up and plug it back where it belongs.
    Also, if I decide to RMA it, would the company easily find out I opened it? Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum Kamekaz3. I'm not sure if Asus would know if you opened up your 101 or not, but from what you've reported, I would definitely RMA it! You didn't mention where you purchased it, but sometimes the retailer will also do a switch.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I am pretty sure the volume buttons do not have anything to do with the trackpad. I would be more inclined to think there is a wire that is getting pinched when you open the dock quickly, but opening it slowly does not pinch it.

The volume/power buttons could be a misalignment, or it could be a bad switch on the board, or a volume/power daughter board. If it is a misalignment, opening it can fix it. If it is still under warranty, I would STRONGLY recommend sending it in for warranty repair rather than try to fix it yourself. It is possible to open it carefully without damaging it, but it takes a lot of care and patience.

There is a guide in the Rescue Squad Guides forum for power/volume issues that outlines how to open the TF101. There are some videos about opening the dock, basically the back 2 feet have screws under it. Then pick a corner (back corners work best) and carefully work your way around slowly with a guitar pick or fingernails and get it open.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I purchased it from newegg. I never rma'd from there so I don't know if they'll switch it.

I don't know if it's really wires pinching because whenever I get it to work. if I move the tablet by let's say flipping it upside down it ,moving around the loose object inside it would stop working. I would then have to close the lid to lock (because power button does not work) open it until it and try again until works. Even if I don't move the dock hinge, this would still occur.
    If the buttons are misaligned, is it still suppose to still work if you press it really hard? Or are there some that still doesn't?

Thanks for the help.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kamekaz3 View Post

I have the same problem. My volume switch stopped working about one month ago, power button - today. I called Asus - they asked me for a serial number - but the serial number is not printed on the tablet (suppose to be on the buttom of the tablet). They suggest to sent it for repair, but did not say what will be the price of the repair. They also said they never hear about power/volume buttom problems.

Zalek

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links