Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Speaker problem: Rooting vs RMA?

My left speaker just gave out, or at least I just noticed it last night. Called up ASUS and they said it'd be 10 to 14 business days for RMA... Microcenter is a piece of crap with a seven day return warranty, which has been long overdue.

I have no rooting experience, and really the only things I know about rooting i've heard from a friend who's a terrible source of biased information.

Is it worth it to root and fix the speaker problem myself? Or just wait the two weeks for an RMA to return a (hopefully) working transformer?

Which would you guys do?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Some of us are actually the 3.2 update will fix the left speaker issue and we expect the update around the end of July or early August. Supposedly rooting isn't that difficult and there are some experts here (not me) whom can walk you thru the process. So if the speaker is you only issue, I would not let go of that tablet for fear of getting one in return with more issues!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I rooted my TF using the method on the XDA forum without an issue. I did it to fix the speaker problem that had been driving me crazy since I bought the unit. Again, I was able to do so with no problems. But then this new firmware update came out a couple of days ago and I tried the update and it failed. Since then my TF has been acting a little buggy so today I decided to unroot and try to apply the update so it would stop acting weird. I was able to unroot but now I'm back on Honeycomb 3.0.1 and can't get the damn thing to recognize an update and I keep getting android.process.acore for close notices that are bombarding me. I'm in the middle of downloading the 3.1 update right nw to see if I can force it to install from my SD card and see if that stablizes it any otherwise I'm going to have to do a full factory reset on it. If I were you I would either send it back in or wait to see what happens with 3.2 in another couple of weeks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That's what I'm really afraid of. I have terrible luck when it comes to technology.

To be quite honest, I hadn't noticed the speaker problem until a friend pointed it out... I think I may just end up waiting for 3.2, I didn't know that was supposed to fix it.

Just end of july or next few weeks then? No exact dates yet?

Thanks guys!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    It's no biggie you just have to remember what you have. If you root, you cannot install any update until you have unrooted. Once unrooted install the update and wait until a new method has been developed for you to root it again. The problem is that several people here were either unaware or forgot and tried to install the update while being rooted and it has caused some undesired effects on their Transformers.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Excedrin View Post
    That's what I'm really afraid of. I have terrible luck when it comes to technology.

To be quite honest, I hadn't noticed the speaker problem until a friend pointed it out... I think I may just end up waiting for 3.2, I didn't know that was supposed to fix it.

Just end of july or next few weeks then? No exact dates yet?

Thanks guys!
    Like you said that your speaker problem had to be pointed out to you so do yourself a favor and save yourself some Excedrin and keep your good Transformer! If you send it back there is a good chance that you will get one with more issues that the basic perfect one you have now!
    Current Devices:

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    It's no biggie you just have to remember what you have. If you root, you cannot install any update until you have unrooted. Once unrooted install the update and wait until a new method has been developed for you to root it again. The problem is that several people here were either unaware or forgot and tried to install the update while being rooted and it has caused some undesired effects on their Transformers.
    That's exactly what happened to me. It said I had an update so I accepted it without even thinking about the fact that I was rooted. Hard lesson learned. Now I'm in the process of trying to unscrew my TF. Not cool. I've been kicking myself in the ass all day today. Hopefully I come out relatively unscathed. What kind of pisses me off is that this could have been avoided if Asus hadn't distributed a bunch of cockeyed tablets in the first place.

Excedrin, if it were me, I would just wait. And to my knowledge there have been no dates released from Asus in regards to when the 3.2 update will hit.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well, I'm back to 3.1 build 8.4.4.5 but my speaker configuration is back to being imbalanced and I can't get it to find a new update. Any suggestion on how to force it find the update?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by floorpuncher View Post
    Well, I'm back to 3.1 build 8.4.4.5 but my speaker configuration is back to being imbalanced and I can't get it to find a new update. Any suggestion on how to force it find the update?
    Don't know if it will help but I always do a hard reset after an update so you may want to do that since you came backwards and unrooted. Then be sure and check for the update manually.
    Current Devices:

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've tried that. I've even tried clearing out the cache and data for the DMClient with no luck. I'm doing another hard reset right now and we'll see if that does it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links