Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Please help - noob. First tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Please help - noob. First tablet.

Good day!

I picked up an EEE Pad T101 on eBay refurbished for less than $200 (including taxes, shipping within Canada). I've been out of the loop of technology for a while having just purchased an iphone 4G this July after having my Blackberry Bold for 3yrs. My desktop PC is almost 7yrs old. A laptop I have is 3yrs old and in the shop with a non-functioning lcd screen, lol.

When I first turned the tablet on, I received an over-the-air update that put 'PlayStore' on my tablet. 'Market' is still there as well. I keep receiving an error message that says, 'The application Google Play Store (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.' I am unable to make any purchases for apps at this time.

After reading on various forums yesterday, I decided I needed a firmware update.

Currently, I am running Android 3.1 (Honeycomb I believe) and my build number is HMJ37.US.epad-8.4.4.11-20110711

I would like to update to Ice Cream Sandwich (whatever that is when it's at home, lol) but I tried placing this: Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Firmware: V8.6.5.13 Only for JP SKU (Android 3.2.1) on a micro SD card, placing it in the tablet to automatically update and nothing happens. I can access the files but nothing will open or update.

What am I doing wrong, please? Thanks in advance for your help!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    UPDATE: I finally got Google Play off of my apps by uninstalling it. Now it's updating all kinds of apps via Market.

And now Google Play is working ... seems I've jumped the gun after fiddling with it for a day.

Would still like to update to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 ... not sure if this machine is capable of going to 4.1 Jellybean?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    38 times
    Your tf101 is rumoured to be getting jellybean but thats not official, You can get ICS on your tablet but there are different versions for various regions. So you may want to wait until someone with more knowledge posts here...

& Welcome to the forum

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Since you obviously have a working internet connection on your TF101, the best way to update without trying to load the wrong version would be to go to Settings > About Tablet > System Firmware Update > Check Update.

This should then cause your tablet to check for a firmware update, which it will then ask to download and install. If this doesn't happen there are other ways of doing the job, but this is the easiest and least prone to error.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    And also, that file you downloaded is for a japanese version which is what JP stands for. In your build # HMJ37.US.epad-8.4.4.11-20110711, the US stands for US version. If you need to update manually, make sure you use that version. To update manually, download the correct file (I would go for build # V9.2.1.27(US)). unzip it one time (it will leave a zip) place it on the root of the internal memory(i.e. not in any folders, just in /sdcard/ directory) and reboot. It should hopefully update you to Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 4.0.3 however you prefer to call it
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all so much!!! JP version - good to know! lol

I tried a wi-fi update to firmware but it says there is no update. I'll try the micro-SD update tomorrow with the proper version I hope!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 10-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    The manual method works best if the update is on the internal memory (/sdcard/ is the internal memory). You can use a microSD but it may or may not work (varied results on that front).
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    54 times
    I think from that early a honeycomb version, an upgrade to a higher version HC must be done before going to ICS.... someone more up on this???
    bfmetcalf likes this.
    iMac 21.5" 2011 32GB OSX 10.12
    TF101 32GB KatKiss 6.0.1 v 34 TWRP 2.8.1.1 Recovery
    http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com/thumbs/3/0/7/6/5/8/7/3076587.png

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    The one he downloaded should be used first (just the US version). So yes you are correct, I should have noted that earlier. Make sure you update to V8.6.5.13(US) first, then to the ICS build.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay ... prepare for another dumb question (lol). Sorry.

How do I transfer files (mostly media) from the micro SD card to the internal memory then? Doh!

Blackberry used to have a handy, dandy program for that so I could attach it to my old and decrepit PC.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 10-12-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links