Thread: Keyboard not working...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Keyboard not working...

I need some help before I tear my hair out!

My transformer tf101 was working perfectly.... then at the beginning of this month (September 2012) I plugged it and the dock in to charge. Nothing happened, and the keyboard/track pad stopped working.

So I tried google (after plugging the tablet in by itself to charge up), and found out the 'put the charger in the freezer' trick, and tried a cold boot (several times), and a back up then factory restore and still nothing, not even the blinking orange light on the side.

On the Monday I rang Asus who gave me an RMA number and said it needed to go off to be fixed. DHL duly arrived after I filled in the forms and took the dock off to the repair centre in the Czech Republic. Note I was only told to send the dock.

The dock came back, and I plugged it all in again to charge... and still nothing. The track pad works, but not the keyboard, and the dock battery still doesn't charge. So, I rang asus again the next day (13th Sept) and told them there was still a problem. They told me somebody would call or email me, but from the sound of it, it was likely it would hae to go back again Later that afternoon, I get an email in broken English apologising for my experience and giving me an RMA number.

So off the whole thing goes thanks to DHL on Tuesday to the Czech Republic again. For three days it has a status of repairing, yesterday I get an email saying it's back on the way to the UK.

It gets here this morning, I turn it on, and the only difference is that the dock battery is now charging - the keyboard dock doesn't work. The repair sheet sent with it does not state what (if anything) they have done to attempt a fix. It just looks like they had done a factory reset

I wenrt round to my parents house - they also have a tf101, bought at the same place and time as mine, and we played mix and match with tablet and dock. When I plugged my tablet into their dock, I was not able to use the keyboard, the other way around (my dock, their tablet) I could use the keyboard, so the dock has been fixed. I had tried this before I sent it off the first time BTW!

So here's where I need to get some help/advice, before I ring Asus again. Clearly there is something wrong, and likely it is with the tablet from the tests I've done.

Has anyone seen similar behavour before and resolved it? I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to tell them that failing to fix it twice is unacceptable and that they either need to repair or replace it this time.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1010 times
    Hi eruth, Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear that story, frustrating.
    I haven't had any experience with ASUS repair. Does seem odd they didn't have you send
    both tablet & dock in--especially the 2nd time. Unfortunately it sounds like another trip
    and yeah, I'd be requesting some kind of shipping voucher as well.
    eruth likes this.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi eejit!

The second time it went in, both the tablet and dock had a 'little holiday' in Brno. It is still under warranty until the end of November, so they should send DHL out for free (again).

Yes, I admit I am frustrated with it, I can't phone Asus until Monday, they have a 48 hour period to report any faults/issues (yet don't answer the phones Saturday/Sunday in the UK call centre). It looks entirely like they did nothing to it, except hit the factory reset option, and with a blanf repair sheet I don't know what they actually did.

I do still love my tablet, it's on of the best pieces of kit I've bought, but it is clearly not right and I want it sorted out.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2248 times
    Clearly the tablet IS faulty & the dock WAS faulty. You'll just have to return them both to ensure you get a functioning combo...

Oh & despite the telephone number, there is no UK Asus call centre. AFAIK its all in the Czech republic.
    eruth likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi janner43

It was definitely a UK number that I rang this morning - the tech support guy I spoke to was Scottish - there is no faking that accent!

He advised me to raise a complaint after I told him my story, and also to book it in for repair. Which I've done.

The complaints guy emailed me back saying that if I'd told them it was the tablet, and included its serial number they'd have looked at the tablet when I sent it in, I replied to that pointing out that as it was the keyboard that was not working it was a logical first assumption that the problem was with the dock initially, and that by sending in the tablet as well, it would have made sense to just perhaps check them out together...

I asked them to pass on some feedback to the web team that you need to be able to enter two serial numbers if needed, and that their website appeared to have truncated some text I'd entered.

DHL are picking up the tablet and dock again tomorrow, all being well this time it will be fixed.

Ads