Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

[SOLVED] Can't update new Firmware

Hi,

I'm new to all of this and I have been looking around the forums for two weeks now. So, I'll start here: I initially attempted to root my TF101 because I wanted ad hoc capabilities. A few months ago, I rec'd notification of a firmware update. I tried to update it, the device rebooted, and image of an adroid appeared and began unpacking the contents, then a sudden "exclamation mark" and failure.

I thought that the failure had something to do with what I thought had to do with intially rooting the device for ad hoc, but after a ton of trial and error, it turns out the device was never rooted, says the "Root Checker" app. I do, however, have SuperUser installed. How is this possible?

Point is, I don't know where to go from here and I just want the ICS update. I still have Honeycomb. Do I continue to proceed with a new root? Do I go back to stock? How can I move on from here? Sorry for the newbiness, and thanks for any help.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Not sure what is going on with the root issue, but there are a few things to try.

The most sure-fire way is to run PERI which installed custom Recovery, then flash the latest stock ROM from the Asus support site and it will get you back to 100% stock unrooted. I will warn you that ad-hoc does not work in ICS unless you root again.

Another option is to install a custom ROM like Revolver, Android Revolution HD, Megatron, AOKP or the such and then you will be rooted and some of them have Ad-hoc enabled if that is important to you.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I'm actually not all that concerned with ad hoc anymore, considering I've been able to tether my iPhone via Bluetooth, rather than creating a WiFi hotspot. I'm honestly considering going the root of flashing to a rooted ICS, if that's available. I haven't explored the root capabilities yet, but I'm not sure that I'll never want to return to stock if I learn more. So, if I am to flash back to stock, do I have to download a specific ROM? I have a build version that says "HTK75.US_epad-8.6.5.21-20111216", so is there some sort of ROM that needs to be parallel with that? And if I was to flash a rooted ROM, do I need to worry about manually updating it like I would with a jailbroken iPhone?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Just adding the fact that I'm deciding to go all rooting, and simply go to stock.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    If you go to a rooted ROM, OTA updates are sketchy at best. If you flash a custom ROM, very few of them actually do OTA updates. I would say either install a custom ROM, update it manually (only takes a few minutes, I sometimes flash 3 or 4 in a day) or go full stock. That is just me though. If you have a custom recovery installed OTA asus updates are a no no as they will break your system. If you are looking to stay rooted, Megatron is a very good ROM, especially paired with guevors custom kernel and Megatron actually does OTA updates, though the DEV has been MIA for a while (busy with school work I think) though it is still a very stable daily driver. If you do go that route, use the PERI tool listed above to install a custom recovery, then download the ROM and kernel and gapps, then make sure to wipe everything in recovery (data, cache, delvik) and flash the zips you downloaded. THIS is a link to some very good ROMS, just stay away from the jellybean one for now unless you like troubleshooting
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for you help, I'm currently looking at that PERI thread right now. I'm deciding to go stock and do a root later on down the road, so I'm just not sure which ROM to use. I went to the Asus download page, but there's several updates. Do I choose the latest one that says (US)?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    Use the one that says "US". I would recommend the .27 one.
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Alright, so after some trial and error and learning more about what I have, this is where I'm at:

I do have CWM Recovery, so I feel pretty comfortable using that at the moment. Problem is, when I attempted to flash the stock ROM from the Asus website, I'd get the following message:

assert failed: write_raw_image(“/tmp/blob” , “staging”)
    E: Error in /sdcard/WW_epad-user-9.2.1.27.zip
    (status 7)
    Installation aborted.

I'm assuming this relates to the same issue I had when I initially tried to update the OTA through the tablet's automatic updates. So, I then tried the oldest FW available, the US .24 version to see if that would help, but I rec'd the same error. I went through the usual clearing of cache, etc., but still no results. Might it have something to do with the kernal files, etc.? Again, I don't no much about this, so I'm just throwing things out.

At this point, I just want to at least see if I can get 'something' flashed, so I'm looking into some of the custom ROMS, possibly Megatron as was suggested. It's late on the east coast, however, and I'll attempt to do this tomorrow evening, but if there's anything that you guys might be able to suggest in the mean time, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    So, I figured out the problem. I was advised by xda forums to flash a new recovery, and was suggested to use WinTeam's recovery. Everything went well and I'm up and running the new stock ICS now.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    Glad you got it sorted out. That error can be a problem, I think there is a CWM setting you can change to get it to work, but looks like you found a better solution. Long live the XDA devs!! Have fun with it now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads