Like Tree11Likes

Thread: TF101 Turns On, But Only Has Black Screen

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know if the LCD or back light has another switch/connector or the like other than the gold connector already discussed. I too dropped my TF101. It works with HDMI out to monitor but after having taken the back off and checked/reconnected pretty much every connector I could find, especially those mentioned above still no screen but working fine otherwise. Buying an old one for parts and changing the LCD assembly is not something I'd like to do if I could even find a sold-for-parts unit with an intact LCD and or back light assembly. In other words, any other options or places to poke it not yet mentioned?

Tigger_44

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, Crashedhdd.
    My TF101 presented mentioned black screen.
    I opened the tablet and was necessary only pull down twice the connector you highlighted. Great.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the tip crashedhdd. Last week-end my niece dropped my TF101 and the screen went blank.
    I followed the instructions and pulled back the connector. Now I have the display back.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you crashedhdd, just found this thread and opened up my TF101 pushed the cable and the display came right up.
    The display had been down for months and now... all better!

thanks again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    the cable fix worked for me as well! thank you!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi everyone, i just joined the forum. I have a different experience. Wallwart went bad. Got a non-OEM replacement. Went to Brazil with a 220v adapter. Worked fine for a few days then black sceen but could see some light as described here. Thought I would have to open it but a few days back in the states it started to working just fine and did for many weeks without re-occurance. My assumption was when the battery got low it started working again. Now it has worked fine for many weeks. Now went to 220v Hungry and it happened again. I am trying to drain the battery down again to see if comes sback again. The question is has this happened to anyone else? Could the black screen be from over charging or over voltage? By the way, hdmi in both cases output to a tv. Tried many times restarting with down volume and power, that does not work. I will repost with my findings after I bring the battery down.
    Last edited by bsimmons; 04-01-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    OK, I drained the battery down and still getting black screen or black but when I turn it on I can see some light when tilted at a sever angle. Again, hdmi to the tv was fine.

Got a screwdriver kit with a Torx T5, opened it up and the left side of the connector was loose or there was a gap. Used my fingernail to fully re-seat the ribbon cable in the connector and it fired right up. So lessons learned: The international travel and 200v power thing was; I guess, just strange timing and coincendence. Weird though. Opening it up went fairly smooth after watching the YouTube videos. When reassembling, watch the power on and volume buttons. I put the bezel on and power button did not seat right, had to remove it again and start over. More risk of bezel damage. When all was done I had some black plastic shavings from the clips that hold the bezel to the screen. I busted some crap off during this process. It looks fine now but you can tell it is not factory perfect with some slight miss-matches between the bezel and rear cover. I do not know what the rear cover is made of but I cracked it slightly (1-2mm). But hey, for $9.00 USD for a screwdriver kit, a small amount of time and sweat, my machine is back up again and I know how to take care of it again if or maybe when it happens again.

The one thing I was concerned about when it was open is, how can I secure the ribbon cable connector so this does not happen again? I was not going to hot glue it. I could not see a good way so I pushed it in securely and left it as is. It might happen again and if it does I'll have to take more drastic measures.

Of course the bad part is, is if this didn't work, I could maybe convince the wife that a TF700 would be needed. I guess I'l have to live live with one of the best; but not the best, tablets on the market Of course she has a TF300 so she she knows...

BTW, This is a great site and I have learned a lot here, thanks for all the work/time you put into this for our community.
    Last edited by bsimmons; 04-01-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    Frederuco likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Hi bsimmons & welcome to the forum

Nice couple of posts there & glad you got it resolved

Thanks for your kind comments on the forum, we do try & we have lots of members here who are generous with their time & knowledge.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedhdd View Post
    There is a connector inside in the lower right corner when placed on its face. The connector most likely popped off. This is why everything works but there is no display.

Attachment 3964
    I ran into this same issue. When I tore down the TF101, the connector was not popped off. However, I still pushed down on the cable side as directed in the photo & I was able to get a visual on the screen again. THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedhdd View Post
    There is a connector inside in the lower right corner when placed on its face. The connector most likely popped off. This is why everything works but there is no display.

Attachment 3964
    Google brought me here, and it seems that the connector was almost completely out of the socket. I LOVE YOU!!
    bfmetcalf and Swipe like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links