Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ASUS eee Trasformer random reboots & lockup (when return from sleep) - WiFi related?

Hi All,

Just got a Transformer pad last week & overall it rocks!

There is one issue though, where I'm also seeing others report it, but not sure if this is a hardware problem or that it might have to do with something that is faulting due to software (and might be fixed with an update).

Issue I'm having with the tablet is when it goes to sleep, either it;
    1) randomly reboots (seeing the tablet screen light up with the ASUS boot screen and thirty or so seconds getting the login screen) for no apparent reason.
    2) locks up and does not return from standby/sleep (4 times now over the last three days). So far only seen this when the tablet has gone untouched for a while and is in a ' deep sleep'.

I've reset the ASUS to factory default a couple of times... and although it seems more stable when running only with the default setup, the reboots still happen.

Since yesterday I've found that the reboots and freeze/lockups stay away if the WiFi function is disabled before the tablet is sent off to sleep.

The tablet is running the latest Honeycomb 3.1 version AFAIK. No dock attached (as the are still sold out here!)

Anyone else seeing this and know if something with the hardware is faulty, or possibly it just needs a reflash or other?

Thanks,
    Willem

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have had the first issue happen a couple of times to me also, I pinned it down to a conflict in my Wifi Router... all i did was power down the Wifi router and once its powered back up again i was sweet.

Give that a go and let me know if that helps.
    EEE Pad Transformer 32gb with Keyboard
    Nexus S

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dimo10 View Post
    I have had the first issue happen a couple of times to me also, I pinned it down to a conflict in my Wifi Router... all i did was power down the Wifi router and once its powered back up again i was sweet.

Give that a go and let me know if that helps.
    Thanks for your quick reply!

Thinking back I *think* I also saw the reboot happen while not yet having configured WiFi to connect to my home network and it was still running with factory settings. Tried quite a couple of different things, so not sure there...

Still a router reboot is quickly done, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
    Willem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, seems the solution in my case is to change the wifi disconnect policy to 'when screen turns off' instead of the default never (found with the WiFi settings).
    For me that is two birds with one stone as I prefer battery life over a continus connection.

As added bonus it seems to have sloved the speaker clicks the tablet sometimes outputed when in standby.

I'm one happy puppy with this ASUS tablet!!! :-)

Cheers,
    Willem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I experienced the same problem previously. Fortunately, it doesn't happen again (and I hope it won't) until now. I suspected the problem came from the router, where my ASUS might have it's IP Address conflicted with other devices. So, to prevent this, I assigned an IP address to my ASUS on router DHCP table. Since then, I never experience the same problem again. I hope it helps.

Cheers

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have the same two issues on my Transformer. Can't confirm that is has s.th to do with the Wifi/Router. Restarting Router every morning and Wifi policy is set to never. Both issues still happen. Have returned Transformer today and hope to get replacement soon...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having the same reboot issue. The WiFi is set to disconnect when the screen turns off. I noticed that the tablet rebooted 5 times in a row this morning each time I let the tablet sit idle and turn off. I also noticed that the reboot was more likely to happen if I had NoteSync running with an open note. Maybe having an open connection creates an issue when the WiFi turns off? Since buying it, I have noticed that I often have to cycle the WiFi after turn it back on from an extended 'sleep' period in order to pick up an IP address. Otherwise, it just sits there and reports "obtaining an IP address" but never connects.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    just had the reboot issue again after two weeks of faultless function.. before it started doing this I had been playing with ES file explorer's settings turning on the bluetooth tab and options and then trying to pair with my phone so I could transfer some files back and forth.
    Anyway, right after that the pad would constantly reboot two/three minutes after going into sleep... even when turning off wifi/bluetooth completly.

On my pad there are ramdump2 files found in the root of the device showing a kernel oops panic resulting in a reboot... could not make up too much out of it though.
    (This pad is running the updated 3.1 ww rom and is unrooted btw)

What I did to get the tablet to behave normally again was simple: disable the bluetooth tab/function within ES file explorer and simply do a manual shutdown / startup... and now it's behaving again.

Does seem like this is more of a software issue somewhere and not so much a hardware defect... my pad is running brilliantly otherwise.

(sorry for the spelling, no spell check here)
    Last edited by wmeens; 07-23-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    starnge... edited my previous post, but the bit I added is not there?

@chipndip: I seccond your hunch that some process is not handeling connection loss very gracefully... looks like in some cases it's having the kernel crash.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i have the exact same problem also with dock. i think its a MAJOR problem with the transformers and they should release an update. can anyone from US tell me if 3.2 fixes the random reboots ?. i got it on sleep the enteire night i had 10 ramdumps meaning there were 10 reboots or just crashes where the devices doesnt reboot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links