Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation USB & SD not working on dock

Hi all,

Newbie here, needing a bit of help. I've spent 12 hours yesterday reading forum posts and trying different things, but I think I have a semi functional dock that needs to be exchanged.

First of all, got my Transformer & keyboard dock this week, but didn't get to unbox them until yesterday. Did a quick check for light bleed (only mild at the lower edge), and started charging. The see-thru wrapping of the tablet had Chinese characters but the SKU was US. Firmware was 3.0.1, and when I quickly tested the dock, USB did not work (thumbdrive's LED flashed once, less than 1/10 sec, when first inserted , but no ongoing flashng, and no notification at the right-lower corner to show mounting). I simply thought it was because it was 3.0.1, or that the dock did not have enough juice (even though the dock LED was steady red, not flashing red).

While charging, notification came for System Update. Updated tablet (not connected to dock) to 3.1 OTA without problem. Build was now 8.4.4.5-20110527. USB and SD still not working on dock, although keyboard and trackpad worked fine.

USB thumbdrives now don't even flash once when inserted, although the LED on my WD Passport USB harddrive would at least come on (and stay on, so it's got power from the USB). However, no mounting of either type of devices (I tried 3 different USB thumbddrives from diff manufacturers and also tested them on other devices to make sure they are not dead).

Similar thing with the SD slot -- neither a 1GB "pure SD" nor a 4GB SDHC (nor a 32GB SDHC) card would read/mount. The microSD slot on the tablet was fine -- mounted right away, and it was visible to my desktop PC when I connected the TF101. Therest of the dock works fine -- I am typing this post on it (the lag is driving me nuts, but without the directional keys I would have killed myself already).

I've already tried:
    - powering off-on (both with and without docking)
    - cold boot (both with and without docking)
    - data-wipe (twice!)
    - updating to the latest (June 10 but still 8.4.4.5) firmware
    - checking System Update to see if a "dock update" will magically happen -- can't find manual firmware for dock online

Like I said, my conclusion at this point is that my dock was only semi-functional-on-arrival.

Thoughts?

P.S. That iPad2 is looking more and more attractive as I struggle with the keyboard lag with web entry -- Honeycomb can sure do better than THIS!!

:-(

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by RetroBlader View Post
    I am typing this post on it (the lag is driving me nuts, but without the directional keys I would have killed myself already).

[...]

P.S. That iPad2 is looking more and more attractive as I struggle with the keyboard lag with web entry -- Honeycomb can sure do better than THIS!!

:-(

I am now trying Opera with the hardward keyboard and what a WORLD of difference it makes. There is no lag whatsoever, and entering text is actually a breeze. I can even use Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V shortcuts, and Home/End via Function keys. Short of not able to select text by <shift-arrow keys>, the text entry experience is as smooth as on my Lenovo ThinkPad (ok, the keyboard is not QUITE as nice as a ThinkPad, but certainly as good as 10" netbooks out there).

Why is the built-in browser so CR@PPY when it comes to handling text entry?!?!

And more importantly, why would they (Asus/Google) allow such POS to be on the front line welcoming new users, ruining their first impression of Android/Honeycomb?!

<perplexed and slightly annoyed at the same time>
    Last edited by RetroBlader; 07-03-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroBlader View Post
    I've already tried:
    - powering off-on (both with and without docking)
    - cold boot (both with and without docking)
    - data-wipe (twice!)
    - updating to the latest (June 10 but still 8.4.4.5) firmware
    - checking System Update to see if a "dock update" will magically happen -- can't find manual firmware for dock online

Like I said, my conclusion at this point is that my dock was only semi-functional-on-arrival.

Thoughts?

Just want to give an update on my problem.

As I suspected, my keyboard dock was defective-on-arrival.

BestBuy Canada (where I got both my Transformer and the Keyboard Dock) did not have units on display for me to test, but at least they were willing to take the Dock back (including paying the postage for shipping it back to their webstore -- the brick-and-mortar BestBuy stores don't stock the Transformer). I was getting so used to using the keyboard dock (for its keyboard and extra battery power) that I did want to do without for a few days, so BestBuy advised to simply order a new Dock in advance of shipping the old one back.

However, when I tried to do that the next day, I was horrified to find the Transformer and the Dock (and all Transformer products) removed from the BestBuy Canada website. It seems they have stopped carrying these products overnight. I am not sure if they simply ran out of stock, or that they no longer want anything to do with the Transformer line. They still have the Windows 7 Eee Slate.

Anyway, I found a local computer store (Canada Computers) carrying the keyboard dock for the same price (CAD$149.99, while TigerDirect Canada wants $175). I went and bought a new keyboard dock today.

The new Dock worked perfectly right out of the box -- no firmware update needed. I was right at home with the keyboard and trackpad, but most importantly, I was VERY glad to find the 2 USB ports and the SD slot working as expected. I've tested the following:

- a SanDisk 32GB SDHC card in the SD slot
    - a SanDisk 32GB UDMA CF card, via my Transcend multi-card reader M3, plugged into the right USB port
    - my new 1TB Western Digital Passport Essential SE USB harddrive (USB3.0) plugged into the left USB port (simultaneously as the card-reader)

The WD Passport was formatted in NTFS, but the Transformer had no problem reading from it nor writing onto it. I was able to copy both JPEG and CR2 files from the CF card to the WD Passport, and later into the built-in memory on the Transformer itself.

Basically, that was my main reason for getting the Transformer/Dock -- backing up my photos onto a WD Passport harddrive while travelling.

I should add, the Transformer was not able to open the CR2 file (I have not tried things like RAWDroid yet) but File Manager had no problem copying CR2 files from one location to another. It opened up the JPEG without any problem, and the built-in Gallery program allowed me to pinch-zoom and examine fine detail (at what I assume to be 100% crop level of magnification) easily.

I'm now a very happy camper.

P.S. Since switching to Opera, there is no lag at all when I enter text on web forums (this entire post was typed on the keyboard dock). For someone who likes to type fairly long-windedly on forums, the physical keyboard is worth EVERY penny, and the extra 8 hours of battery power is simply icing on the cake!

:-D
    Last edited by RetroBlader; 07-11-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links