Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

[SOLVED] Transformer not charging

Hi

I've just bought my Transformer. I got it on ebay as a brand-new open box item and it looks to be exactly as described. The box had clearly been
    opened but the pad looks brand new.

The charger doesn't appear to be working. I've tried to use it to charge other devices and it definitely seems to be dead. The big problem is that
    the pad only appears to charge intermittently.
    I have a variety of usb chargers with power outputs up to 2000 mAmps. I left the pad on charge overnight and only got 12% battery life. I tried another charger the following night (from an Amazon Kindle) and this morning, I had 82%. After a short period using the tablet and upgrading to ICS, I had 75% when I switched off the tablet and put it back on charge with the same charger. A few hours later I was still showing 75%.
    I tried charging from my laptop and it doesn't appear to charge at all, although there's a USB data connection alright.
    Does the tablet give any indication while it's charging? Surely this isn't normal behaviour.
    I'm wondering should I just send it back and be done with it or is there something I'm missing?

On a separate note is there a standard video player on the Transformer - I can't seem to find it.

TIA

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Congrats on your toy and welcome to the forum!

Check the Forum Favorites link in my signature (need a web browser to see it). In there is one for Charging and Boot issues.

Also, the ASUS wall wart uses more than the standard 5 VDC which is why regular USB chargers will not register it as charging.

Here is a snipit on the charging that I use quite often:

he Eee Pad devices use a charger that outputs 15 VDC through the USB on the wall wart. Standard USB is 5 VDC. If you charge it with less than 11 VDC, it will not show charging.

For the TF101 I ran some tests:
    Wall Wart (15 VDC, 1.2 Amps) Charge rate 35% per hour. Will show charging indicator, will charge with the screen on
    USB Port (5 VDC, 0.5 Amps) Charge rate 3% per hour. Will not show charging indicator, will not charge with the screen on
    iPad Plug (5 VDC, 2.0 Amps) Charge rate 10% per hour. Will not show charging indicator, will not charge with the screen on

In a pinch you can use a USB port, but it will take 30-48 hours to do a full charge on just the tablet.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that. It looks like I'll still have to send back the charger so.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    What a ridiculous flaw on a charger. I read your faq section and have the pins fixed and my device is charging away.
    I`ve ordered a one piece charger to sort out the problem for good.
    I was slightly annoyed that it wouldnt charge from standard usb but the higher voltage makes sense so I`m happy again.
    So far it seems a nice bit of kit.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    my Transformer will not charge. The charger is OK with other mobiles, computers, so I think its a problem with the Asus.
    I tried both the keyboard & screen. Nada.
    Anyone know a good repair centre who can solve this?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay, if somebody can tell me what this issue might be, then ill appreciate it. Im hoping its software related, rather than hardware. Wallwart charger works fine, testedon other devices etc. USB cable works fine, PC detects the TF..

Now here is where it gets interesting. My battery was completely drained, then i plugged in the charger at about 12 midnight, went to sleep. Got up and 6, and switched on the TF. Battery was at 10%. Got to work, at about 8am, plugged in the charger, and at 9 am it was at 18%.

So based on that, the charger works, and the device seems to be charging. So what might you think is the issue i have? Well, the battery indicator doesnt show that it is charging, and the TF still asks me to connect a charger. Ive Done a Cold Boot, ive thrown the charger in the freezer(obviously in a ziplock bag) and moved the pins inside the Brick. Like i said, there is nothing wrong with the charger from what i can gather.

i bought this device off a friend, and it seems like he flashed Cynogenmod 9, with Rom Manager also installed along with Super User etc. Im not a Root or Custom firmware guy, and prefer everything to be as is, and get updates if and when they are available.

Could this issue be the direct cause of this custom firmware, or is there perhaps a deeper lying issue with the hardware itself. The warranty expired at the back end of June, so that is a no go for me

Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Since you purchased this from a friend, is it possible you did not receive the original charger? The ASUS supplied charger is 15 volts ouput, and it will say so on it. If you are trying to charge the tablet with a generic USB 5 volt charger, it may l behave as you describe (i.e. very slow to charge, no charger connectioon indicated on the tablet)
    good luck,
    Bruce

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeford View Post
    Since you purchased this from a friend, is it possible you did not receive the original charger? The ASUS supplied charger is 15 volts ouput, and it will say so on it. If you are trying to charge the tablet with a generic USB 5 volt charger, it may l behave as you describe (i.e. very slow to charge, no charger connectioon indicated on the tablet)
    good luck,
    Bruce
    Hi There

It came with the Original Asus Charger. Brick and USB Cable

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links