Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2082 times
    Welcome

Here you go - could have been written just for you...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-breaking.html

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, but I referred to that exact thread to help me out. Maybe I should have posted this message there...ooops

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, so far so good, I used an xacto knife and wedged in credit card as I went. So now the screen is off, there are bits of adhesive and residue on the screen and front part of the tablet frame. I've gotten some of it off but what is left is pretty stubborn. Any ideas how to get this off?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    8 times
    Eucalyptus oil works a treat, for cleaning tape residue off, but needs cleaning with something else after, also is very oily/greasy. It is very gentle, better if it is the water soluble spray, but not sure how well the digitizer will handle it. Most others are in the opposite boat with a cracked digitizer & a good screen so it will be interesting to see how you go.

Would still recommend using a hair dryer as it shouldn't get too hot if you keep it moving around.

Bill

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2082 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tominto View Post
    Thanks, but I referred to that exact thread to help me out. Maybe I should have posted this message there...ooops
    Well...

I've joined "your" thread to that one.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    14 times
    Would this be the right process for getting dust out from under the glass? Is it necessary to take all the adhesive off or could we just make an opening and try to blow it out with compressed air (? - don't want to go too far with the disassembly, just the minimum needed).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for this... a few more hints from my experience...
    1. You might want to see if your can successfully remove the digitizer BEFORE ordering a new screen.
    2. Even with the 1cm marking, be extra stinking super careful around that small ribbon - I still managed to slice through it. It's a very narrow ribbon, so consider leaving that section to the last and see if you can remove the digitizer without touching the seal in that area. Or just go in 1/2cm.
    3. I used a hobby knife and just heated the blade on a candle - seemed to do the trick nicely.
    4. Even though I demo'd the small ribbon - after a stiff drink I kept on going with the replacement, and much to my surprise it still mostly works. It appears the small ribbon is only for the top 1/2 inch of the screen... which admittedly is a pain for working with email or youtube searches while docked in the keyboard, otherwise you can just flip it so that area is in a different section of screen. At least I didn't end up chucking it in the trash (which I almost did as soon as I saw my sliced ribbon).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I tore into mine last night. Decided to take cottonpants advice and hack off the screen before ordering. Luckily I did because I also cut through the ribbon cable. I cut about a 1/4" all the way around, wedging in credit cards. I did not use a hot knife, hair dryer, or any other heat source. Cutting wasn't bad but I didn't go very deep. I tried prying up but the cards to break the last of the seal but they weren't quite sturdy enough to do the job. Ended up using another to slide around like a dull blade. It worked great and I avoided the small ribbon and didn't scratch the lcd, but wasn't paying attention to where I was and the credit card sliced right through a chunk of the fat ribbon. Its pretty much perforated at the connection, it tears quite nice and evenly... Ordered a new screen and lcd this morning for 95 bucks plus shipping from mylcdtouchscreen dotcom. Nice ~$20 discount for buying as a set vs separate. I'll try to remember to report back on quality or any issues I have with the company. So far so good though. I sent them an email late last night asking if the replacement screen in the set is Gorilla Glass or not. This morning at 7 am I had a reply waiting for me when I woke up. It is Gorilla Glass by the way, for anyone curious.

I'm trying to decide if I want to use the same type of adhesive ASUS used to attach the screen. They basically seem to have used a thin double-sided foam tape. That seems like a pain to redo as there are cutouts around the camera, speaker, and other random obstacles. I've also read about people getting dust under the touch screen with the factory applied adhesive never being tampered with. Looks entirely possible to me as there are several gaps in their seal, one of which is a full inch long. I'm thinking of using a very small bead of adhesive caulk of some sort. My only concern is that if the bead is not thick enough, or if it's too thick, that the casing may not fit right, leaving a small gap or raised screen. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by g.anderson8; 11-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lightstream View Post
    Would this be the right process for getting dust out from under the glass? Is it necessary to take all the adhesive off or could we just make an opening and try to blow it out with compressed air (? - don't want to go too far with the disassembly, just the minimum needed).
    There is a gap in the seal about an inch long located at the left side speaker (or at least there was in mine when I took it apart last night). You should be able to blow some air in there without prying off the entire screen. You will probably need to take the outer casing off, but that's it. Hope I'm not too late

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    So I finished up the repair. The touchscreen from mylcdscreen was an exact replacement but the LCD screen was not. The frame that holds the LCD in place took some minor modification to make it fit but it worked. Both obviously came with a shipping screen protector BUT both also had scuff marks underneath when I removed the screen protector! I was pissed and tempted to send them back but I wiped them down and was able to get most of the crap off and it took 3 weeks to get the first set...I didn't really want to wait another 6 weeks while exchanging. I tested the whole thing out before reassembling and it worked! I bought some 2mm wide Scotch brand double sided tape that is supposed to be made for attaching touch screens to phones. I put as much as I could fit which turned out to be 3 strips across the top and bottom and 4 along the side. Even with all that the tape doesn't stick very well to the touch screen side. I put the housing back on and stacked some books on the screen overnight to try to allow the tape to stick better...it didn't. I am thinking a very small bead of super glue between the strips of tape might work.

Well the next morning I took the books off and turned the tablet on...and nothing happened. It wouldn't even turn on. I had left it plugged in overnight. I opened it up again and everything seems to be plugged in fine. I ended up putting it on the keyboard dock and the battery charging screen came up for a second. I left it plugged in an hour or so and the tablet would now come on and read 1% battery but the keyboard will not work. Left it plugged in all night and now the battery level says only 12% and the keyboard still won't work. Tried undocking from keyboard and the tablet by itself will not charge. The little lightning bolt won't come up. Tried plugging into my computer and nothing happens on either end. I'm thinking it has to be the port where the cable plugs into the tablet. Found one on eBay but they want 50 bucks for a used one! I am going to open it up again to see if maybe that port came slightly unplugged or something...It'll be a few days though because I'm still on the verge of chunking this bugle-boy out the window.
    Last edited by eejit; 11-29-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: language

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads