Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Mic-In / Line in issues. I cant get it to work

Hello Everyone!

I'm one happy TF201 user and I really love it. Always finding new areas to use my tablet instead of using my stationary computer..

Recently I wanted to try to record from a mixer system, recording with the "2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)" port that is on the pad.

I cant get it to work when i plug in either a mono 3.5mm wire or a stereo 3.5mm wire from my mixers output channels. I know that I get the sound out from there ( checked with other devices and spekaers). I cant find a way to record through the 3.5mm port. Anyone that knows of any app(preferly free) that can solve this? or are there any settings that I can adjust?

Thanks for any help

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    247 times
    I think (sometimes not a good thing) that since that port is all 3 stereo out and mic in it is just a matter of finding the correct plug for the jack.

Not sure if this is correct but I think (there I go again) that this the standard.

1 - Tip - Left
    2 - Ring - Right
    3 - Ring - Mic
    4 - Sleeve - Ground
    Last edited by helpifIcan; 05-11-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by amid2d3d View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I'm one happy TF201 user and I really love it. Always finding new areas to use my tablet instead of using my stationary computer..

Recently I wanted to try to record from a mixer system, recording with the "2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)" port that is on the pad.

I cant get it to work when i plug in either a mono 3.5mm wire or a stereo 3.5mm wire from my mixers output channels. I know that I get the sound out from there ( checked with other devices and spekaers). I cant find a way to record through the 3.5mm port. Anyone that knows of any app(preferly free) that can solve this? or are there any settings that I can adjust?

Thanks for any help
    What you need, is a 4-pole 3.5mm cable-- the 4th conductor is the microphone (mono only, sorry). I think I remember seeing a breakout box with a 4-pole connector on one end, and the 2 speaker channels, and 1 mic channel on the other, but I have no clue where it was... sorry.

If you're handy? Purchase an el-cheapo wired headset with the 4 pole plug, and open'er up (cutting off the headset end) and you could easily enough wire up what you need-- but the mic is gonna be mono, not stereo.

As I recall, the order from tip to base is

left-speaker+ | right-speaker+ | mic+ | common-ground-return

A quick google shows there are a bunch of adapter cables out there--some for video (which end with 3 RCA type plugs, white, red and yellow). Obviously, you'd use the video for the mic application here.

Good luck!
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    What you need, is a 4-pole 3.5mm cable-- the 4th conductor is the microphone (mono only, sorry). I think I remember seeing a breakout box with a 4-pole connector on one end, and the 2 speaker channels, and 1 mic channel on the other, but I have no clue where it was... sorry.

If you're handy? Purchase an el-cheapo wired headset with the 4 pole plug, and open'er up (cutting off the headset end) and you could easily enough wire up what you need-- but the mic is gonna be mono, not stereo.

As I recall, the order from tip to base is

left-speaker+ | right-speaker+ | mic+ | common-ground-return

A quick google shows there are a bunch of adapter cables out there--some for video (which end with 3 RCA type plugs, white, red and yellow). Obviously, you'd use the video for the mic application here.

Good luck!

Thank you!

The cable arrived a few days ago and after trying plugging it in to my tablet, there were no difference from before. Still only shows "headphones plugged in". I can't find any new options to control microphone/audio and when i use a recording application i still can't see anything related to line-in or "external mic" or anything. I need to try some more with my source of audio. But be sure I will do more tests... Please let me know if you have an app that you've tried and had it working with .

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    OK, now I'm getting confused (Not all that difficult these days)

I also am attempting to connect a mixer through a 4 pole plug, and I'm getting mixed results. Plus, I'm trying to use devices from Tascam and iRig to connect headphones and XLR mic inputs to the TF201.

Is it possible that the Transformer has the pin outs you call for ( tip to body= left, right, mic, gnd) and the iphone type (which most available adapters seem to follow) have the mic and gnd switched? (tip to body= left, right, gnd, mic)

Note that this would allow the standard stereo headphone plug to work with all of these device, but standard 'iphone style' earbuds with mics would not sound all that good?

I only ask because a splitter I have that says it's for iphone seems to be wired that way. The second ring is definately the ground.

I've also seen warnings that certain adapters are for iphone, et al, and NOT Motorola Droid and Samsung S?

and, there is this:
    [INFO] Pinouts for Transformer Headphone/Mic Jack - xda-developers

So where to from here?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links