Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

[Q] Shuts down completely when not charging

I posted this to another similar thread but they have solved their problem but mine is not solved.

A little background:
    It was most recently upgraded to the the newest OTA and been stable since then. The unit is nearly 1 year old B50. So I know all about holding the power button down for different lengths for different purposes. It is NOT that. Until two days ago, everything was working fine.

First, I couldn't turn it on. I thought since I was travelling and using it a lot, it just ran the battery down. So when I got to the hotel room, I plugged it into the wall charger and it turned on. I was relieved for a while. Then I checked the battery (dual battery widget) and it shows 86%. When I was leaving the room, i pulled it off the wall and bam...it shuts down completely. Curious, I plugged in the charger and it boots back up (asus logo and whirling circle). I decided to leave it plugged in all night.

The next morning, I pulled it off the wall and bam, complete shut down. I plugged it back in and check the battery status. Still showing 86% and I notice it is not charging. I check the battery summary and it shows, battery = unknown error.

I did the hard reset (with it plugged in) VolDown/Power sequence. No luck. I decided to wait until i get home to test further.

At home, I plugged it into the dock. Widget shows the base battery is charging but the tablet is not charging. (it turns on when plugged into the base). It stays on even after I unplugged the base from the charger but the moment i remove the tablet from the base, it shuts of completely.

At that time, I decided to do a complete factory reset. After the reset, it is still having the same problem and dual battery widget is reporting the same unknown error problem.

In summary:
    1) The unit will not turn on if I don't have the power cable plugged in.
    2) When the cable is pulled out, the unit turns off and will not turn back on
    3) When the cable is plugged in, it turns on and work just fine
    4) When I put it on the keyboard dock, it turns on and work just fine
    5) When I pull it out of the keyboard, it turns off and will not turn back on
    6) I have soft reset, hard reset and factory reset (all with power plugged in) because nothing will happen without the power plugged in
    7) Battery status shows 86% but not charging:
    --When plugged into the wall
    8) Battery status shows 86% but not charging while in the dock.
    --The dock battery shows that it is charging and the light on the dock is green

I have tested and knows the charger works and the dock battery works.

The main unit battery will not deplete and will not charge and will not keep the unit running.

What do I need to do? Any thoughts? I would greatly appreciate some help.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Strange indeed.

The only thing I can think of is leaving it running with dock attached until the battery level changes.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried leaving it on the dock with the wall charger plugged into the dock. It shows that it is charging the dock but not the tablet. When I pulled the plug, the charge of the dock drops but the charge on the tablet does not. I haven't figured out how to drain the battery from the tablet because it is not powered up at all without a charger plugged in - grin. So, to do anything that would drain the battery, requires it to be plugged in which would have prevented it from being discharged (catch 22)...what a mess - sigh.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Seems like eventually the dock battery would drain enough to stop charging the tablet, no?

You did say it would run attached to the dock.

"4) When I put it on the keyboard dock, it turns on and work just fine"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I could give it a try. I am assuming that when the battery in the dock runs down, it would then quit working because it wouldn't have any juice coming into the tablet...but that is a good point...I will give it a shot tonight. Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Tried the above. No luck. Apparently, since when attached to the dock it runs the DOCK battery down first, when the dock battery hits 0, the unit shuts off. So, when I plugged it back on the charger, it shows 85% and the dock shows 0%.

Any other ideas?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    In the other thread you mention, you say (in response to my suggestion to return it under warranty)

Quote Originally Posted by bghlim View Post
    It is nearly a year old. I put in a problem ticket with Asus, but no replies yet after 2 days. Will call today. Thanks.
    How did that work out? To be honest with you, the battery in your tablet has probably failed OR the reading of its state is wrong. If you return it, you should backup & Factory Reset anyway, so give that a go - it *might* fix it if the setting regarding reading the battery state & charging has got corrupted. Its only a slim chance, but as your only other recourse is a return, there is nothing lost.

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ory-reset.html

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links