Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Help! All of my home screens are gone and none of my apps work!

When I turned on my Asus this morning I was surprised to see that all of my home screens were gone and it looked to be back to the default out-of-the-box home page. What's worse is that none of the apps work (except for the stock apps like Browser, YouTube and Gmail). Every other app I try to start just says "Unfortunately, <AppName> has stopped". I've tried restarting the tablet a number of times but that doesn't help. What's going on? Could it be that the internal storage is failing and it lost all of my settings? It looks like my pictures are still there.

I've checked for a new firmware update but it says that nothing is available. I don't think it's downloaded any firmware updates for the last few weeks and it's been working fine until today. I'm running Android 4.03 and the Kernel version is 2.6.39.4-00001. Should I do a factory reset?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Try a hard reset first. Shut down, unplug from power. Hold VOL DOWN and POWER for about 10-12 seconds until some small text appears. Release the buttons and wait. The next screen has 2 icons, the right one will glow green. Next it will say cold-booting Linux and it will start.

This clears out some of the caches that my have gotten corrupted.

This will not wipe the tablet, just the caches.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I tried that out but it didn't seem to help. Every app still fails. Anything else I should try?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Try downloading the latest firmware from ASUS and doing a manual update. Check my forum favorites link for manual update instructions.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, I'll have to give that a shot once I pick up a microSD card. I have regular SD cards, but it looks like you can't do the firmware update through the SD card reader on the keyboard - you have to use the microSD slot (right?).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, what am I doing wrong? I've been trying to manually install the firmware but haven't had any luck. The tablet never seems to recognize that there is a firmware update on the microSD card. Here's what I've done:

- My build number is IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.21-20120413 so I downloaded the V9.2.1.21(US) firmware update (US_epaduser9_2_1_21UpdateLauncher.zip)
    - I unzipped this file which then gave me US_epad-user-9.2.1.21.zip
    - I tried copying that file to the root folder on the microSD card, then the \Asus folder and then finally the \Asus\Update folder
    - After copying it to each of these locations I would insert the card into the tablet and wait for it to be recognized, but the tablet never showed me the exclamation mark in the notification area. Each time I waited about 5 minutes after the card was recognized, but no notification ever came up.

Am I supposed to unzip both US_epaduser9_2_1_21UpdateLauncher.zip and then US_epad-user-9.2.1.21.zip and then put those files somewhere? I thought I was only supposed to unzip the first file and then put US_epad-user-9.2.1.21.zip on the microSD card.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. The card is formatted using FAT32, but it does have other files on it. Does it need to be completely empty other than the ZIP file? And what folder (root, \Asus, or \Asus\Update) am I supposed to put the ZIP? There is no "ASUS" folder inside the zip.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok I just tried again, and this time I brought up the File Manager on the tablet, but it's not showing any files under the /removable/microsd folder. Even if I put something like a JPG file on the card from my computer, nothing is showing up under /removable/microsd when I put it in the tablet. I've never used a microSD card in the tablet before, so maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I suggest you just follow this guide...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ory-reset.html

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, I want to hold off on the Factory Reset as a last resort. Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to get this firmware update to install.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    How is your microSD formatted?

FAT32 is the only format that the Recovery software will read.

Android can read FAT32, NTFS and I think ExFAT. To do firmware updates though you will need it formatted for FAT32. It is best to do this on a computer.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links