Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bar Code Scanning

  1. #11
    Ratchet
    Member #
    14448
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    236
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    The boxy squiggly lines are called QR codes, or quick response codes.
    You can read a bit about them if you click here. They can do a variety of things, depending on what's in the code. Bar Scanner, say I scan a product--and I've done this with a musical instrument--I scanned the instrument tag at one store, bopped myself over to another store and popped up my scan--they honoured the price of the first store (even though they were priced slightly higher) It just took the place of a coupon or advertising flyer I guess, but the store had neither, so the scan worked well....the tech I use to set up my instruments was based at the 2nd store, that is the reason I wanted to buy the product there. Many uses for bar scanners, primarily on phones where you are 'always connected' you can scan a code right in an aisle & do the same thing I did with the guitar, just ask them if they match prices at the checkout. Glad we could help.

    Thank you so much. You are very kind to explain so nicely for us.
    So, all we would do is open the Scanner app and point the Asus at the bar code on the window, on page, etc. and click on the camera (as if we were taking a picture) and the bar code information would be stored "where?" Would it be in a certain file/location on our Asus for later reading?
    We could also delete that 'stored' bar code info when we no longer needed it? If so, where would the file be (for deletion)?
    Is there one scanner app that you think might be the "best?" I've been suggested RedLaser, ShopSavvy or Pushpins. Don't know which one to choose for this Asus TF101.

    Thanks again for your kind help.
    Last edited by alicez; 04-28-2012 at 06:54 PM.

  2. #12
    Soundwave
    Member #
    34340
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    1 times

    TF101- Barcode Scanner from ZXing

    I use Barcode Scanner from ZXing. Its free via Google Play store.

    I use it to scan all kinds of products to do price checks, etc.

    It does not store a file on the device (to the best of my knowledge), but passes the number to what ever App you choose from a short list (Browser, Firefox, Google Shopper)


    Carla59


    TF101 - 32GB internal, 32GB microSD, Keyboard dock.

  3. #13
    Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    26017
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    toronto, ca
    Tablet
    TF201
    Posts
    3,441
    Liked
    1118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post

    Thank you so much. You are very kind to explain so nicely for us.
    So, all we would do is open the Scanner app and point the Asus at the bar code on the window, on page, etc. and click on the camera (as if we were taking a picture) and the bar code information would be stored "where?" Would it be in a certain file/location on our Asus for later reading?
    We could also delete that 'stored' bar code info when we no longer needed it? If so, where would the file be (for deletion)?
    Is there one scanner app that you think might be the "best?" I've been suggested RedLaser, ShopSavvy or Pushpins. Don't know which one to choose for this Asus TF101.

    Thanks again for your kind help.
    Your welcome, not a problem. The different app's all operate a little differently...so it's hard to say which one is better, or how to go about running them. They work a little differently. Scanlife is one app that will save a snap if you're not connected, then you can retrieve the info at a later time. You can read about it here. There are others, it's a good idea to open Google Play and search bar code readers though, that way you can read the details and comments. The comments people leave (and not just the first three, always hit the view more or read more option) are very valuable in giving away the plus's and minuses of an app. Everyone likes different features, I'm not sure of the ones you listed cause I haven't used them....you can always give them a try, installing and un-installing is a breeze. And one other thing, from reading your response, you don't have to use the camera option and snap a pic of the product--say a can of soup. lol You don't need to stand in an aisle trying to make Campbells smile. Once you open the app, it will use your camera to 'read' the info on the code...you won't end up with an 8 x 10 Cream of Mushroom ala Andy Warhol.

    (I hope Warhol was the soup can guy....I'm not good with art!!)

  4. #14
    Ratchet
    Member #
    14448
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    236
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    And one other thing, from reading your response, you don't have to use the camera option and snap a pic of the product--say a can of soup. lol You don't need to stand in an aisle trying to make Campbells smile. Once you open the app, it will use your camera to 'read' the info on the code...you won't end up with an 8 x 10 Cream of Mushroom ala Andy Warhol.

    (I hope Warhol was the soup can guy....I'm not good with art!!)
    Thanks again. A bit confused about the "taking the picture." Do I just open the "Scanner" and point it at the bar code and it will "automatically" read the bar code? If so, where would the "results" be (for viewing)? Boy, am I dumb!

    Add-ON:
    I did install Red Laser scanner. I tried to take a picture of a QR on a magazine and got the massage "Sorry, the Android camera encountered a problem. You may need to restart."
    Which I did, but still the same message.
    (I changed the camera so it would take picture from rear or camera.)
    Could it be the Red Laser is not workable on this Asus?
    Any thoughts?

    2nd Add-ON:
    Deleted the Red Laser and installed the i-nigma and that one seemed to work. As soon as I clicked on the App, the program opened with the box in the center. I aimed at my computer screen where there was a QR and immediately I saw the URL on my Asus screen, and then it asked me if I wanted to go online and then I saw the page (I believe) that was mentioned in the QR.
    So, it seems as though I am all set. Right?

    (If I didn't go online, would that URL info have been stored someplace on my Asus or in the i-nigma History?)
    Last edited by alicez; 04-29-2012 at 06:30 PM.

  5. #15
    Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    26017
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    toronto, ca
    Tablet
    TF201
    Posts
    3,441
    Liked
    1118 times
    I believe there is an option in the i-nigma settings that allows you to view history--sorry I'm not on my Prime now to be able to give you directions. Sometimes the code draws a blank search result, it's not a fault of the app....seems that some products offer different features, guess the technology is growing & there are bound to be glitches.

  6. #16
    Ratchet
    Member #
    14448
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    236
    Liked
    3 times
    Many, many thanks. I guess I am "set up" then with the bar scanning on this Asus.
    I wondered though if this i-nigma app would also work on a tablet that only had the back-facing camera? I don't think so because you couldn't see what you were focusing on. I ask because one of my friends has a tablet with only a back-facing camera and wondered if he could use it for bar scanning.
    Thanks again and guess we can put this thread to "rest."

  7. #17
    Soundwave
    Member #
    71349
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times

    Asus t100ta

    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I'm not familiar with the apps you mention but I use a very basic and free bar code scanner called "Scan".
    I would like to use a bar code scanner to scan bar codes in warehouse for Inventory control and more, would this "Scan" be useful to scan the bar-codes in a software on the tablet? the same would it a benefit or even is there a option use a a blue tooth bar code scanner

  8. #18
    Ratchet
    Member #
    14448
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    236
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simu View Post
    I would like to use a bar code scanner to scan bar codes in warehouse for Inventory control and more, would this "Scan" be useful to scan the bar-codes in a software on the tablet? the same would it a benefit or even is there a option use a a blue tooth bar code scanner
    You should start your own thread so I do not get notices of replies to your question.

  9. #19
    Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    883
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Swainsboro, GA
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    4,729
    Liked
    904 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post
    You should start your own thread so I do not get notices of replies to your question.
    Hi Alice, just wanted to inform you that we actually prefer that members post their inquiries in older posts, if the subject relates to it. The reason is that it helps organize the forum by keeping the different posts of the same subject in the same place. If you would rather not be notified of subsequent posts, all you have to do is go to Thread Tools at the top of the thread and tap "unsubscribe to thread." Thanks for understanding!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

    The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

  10. #20
    Ratchet
    Member #
    14448
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    236
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Hi Alice, just wanted to inform you that we actually prefer that members post their inquiries in older posts, if the subject relates to it. The reason is that it helps organize the forum by keeping the different posts of the same subject in the same place. If you would rather not be notified of subsequent posts, all you have to do is go to Thread Tools at the top of the thread and tap "unsubscribe to thread." Thanks for understanding!
    While I will not argue your decision, I think it is not a good idea to allow multiple questions to be posted on a similar topic. Just my opinion. I will unsubscribe from this thread.
    I went to top of post and clicked on Thread Tools and I do not see "unsubscribe to thread." I do see "subscribe to thread."
    Last edited by alicez; 07-15-2014 at 06:32 PM.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Contract Code & Password ?
    By sparks3229 in forum Transformer Prime General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
  2. scanning wireless networks
    By kramman1962 in forum Transformer Prime General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  3. Scanning media files in microsd
    By cdiony in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Search tags for this page

asus barcode look up
,

asus barcode scanner

,
asus t100 barcode scanner app
,
asus transformer scan barcode
,
does kindle have ability to scan
,
how do i use kindle fire to scan q r code
,
how to scan qr code on kindle fire
,
how to use barcode reader forum
,
kindle fire hd qr code reader
,
qr code pour asus t100
,

qr code reader for kindle fire hd

,
transformer toys scanner reader
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.