Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PAB5204

Thread: TF101 slow WiFi speeds

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

TF101 slow WiFi speeds

I got pretty good speeds when transferring files from my PC to my TF101 over WiFi using File Manager HD on Honeycomb but ever since I upgraded to ICS it's slowed to an absolute crawl, taking almost a minute and a half to transfer even a 16MB file. I kept hoping that whatever problem I'm having will get fixed in an OTA update, but no luck so far and I haven't been able to find any solutions otherwise. The speed seems to be more or less the same using either File Manager HD or ES File Explorer, and I haven't made any changes to my router or (as far as I know) my PC network settings. General internet speeds seem to be more or less on par with what my laptop gets through wireless, the problem seems to be limited to WiFi transfers only. My laptop's WiFi transfers seem relatively normal (2.5MB/s), not great for wireless G but certainly better than what the TF101 is doing. Anyone have any insights to what's going on? Thanks in advance.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

While you are describing a speed problem with the transfers you say the Internet performance is the same so what you describe sounds pretty strange. Nothing should have changed. Did you get the updates after ICS, what is your current build number?

I do have 2 possible suggestions but don't know if they will solve your issue. You may want to reboot your PC with a check of the disk structure. "chkdsk /f" at a command prompt. You also didn't mention if you had done a hard reset since your update. That would be advisable. You can find the instructions in a link below and done properly you won't suffer any data loss, just follow the instructions.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hard reset seems to have done the trick, it's still not as snappy as my laptop's transfer speeds but I suppose it'll do until I get around to upgrading my ancient D-Link router to something with wireless-N. Thanks!

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    249 times
    If this should happen again before you do the hard reset try just a disconnect and forget the WIFI I have had this slow down on a very rare bases, and that solved it for me. it will just save you some time if it works
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    Hi there, yesterday I got the update and i even reported that in another thread that I never had a factory reset or even a hard reset (i actually don't know what a hard reset means but i just know i haven't done it as I'm just nominal user) and everything is still in good order. I also have never rooted before or after yesterday's ics first update. But this morning i transferred files by wifi to my media player and the file transfer was very slow. It was doing only 135 kB/s. Transferring files by wifi usually is around 1.0-1.6 mbps. Knowing that it was going to take a very long time for this task, ,i cancelled it. Restarted the transfer but with the same slow speed but waited like 5 min and the speed of the transfer was a very constant 135 kB so I was compelled to cancel again. During the transfer, I noticed from the network traffic indicator that the figures stated as to how much has been copied and the speed were always the same. It would always state 736 kB then 1.18 kB figure. Like increments you know, like 5-10- 15 -20 and so on. This one was 736kB -1.18 kB- and so on. Same numbers. And the upload speed is always 135kB.

Aside from above, everything's okay.

Laughter ! The best medicine :-)

- using unrooted Asus Transformer named Moses
    Last edited by Aeroplane; 05-01-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: forgot to indicate i was transferring on wireless

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    I experienced slow wifi transfer speeds on my TF101 and couldn't figure out what the problem was. I ended up going to a networking forum (Real Help For Your Small Network - SmallNetBuilder) I believe, and posted a question there, and another user pointed out that wireless N mobile devices like tablets tend to use the narrow band...ie. 20 vs. 40. If your router is set to 40, you'll get slower speeds. I was dubious, but went into my router settings, changed the wireless N 2.4 GHz band to 20 instead of 40 and presto, my speeds jumped from about 200 KB/s to up to 6 MB/s (the limit of my Internet connection).

You might want to check that. Who knows? Could be related.

PAB5204
    leeshor likes this.
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    I did the router configuration change and it did improve the speed but nowhere near what is was before. But wow, I didn't know that an improvement in speed can be attained by re configuring the router to a lesser signal range. Well, obviously the nearer your device to the router means better signal but I didn't know that a lesser area of coverage for the router meant faster speed or an improvement thereof. That definitely came from the left field is how you would say it ? (I meant to say it as how I imagined Wayne Gretzy would say it when my puck went by him and into the goal. Yes ! But wouldn't know what that left field would be in hockey) Thanks for that :-).

I guess I have to do a hard reset now.

Thanks both for your suggestions.

- using Asus Transformer named Moses

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    249 times
    A hard reset is painless you will not lose anything.
    remove power cord
    shut TF down hold the vol down and then press the power button hold them both until you see white writing in the top left corner
    release both and the TF will clear all memory and restart

Normal power down is like a reset with windows
    hard/cold reset is like a complete power down in windows
    This just a simple explanation not the actual way it works but close
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    Wow again ! I did a hard reset two days ago and my speed is back to where it used to be. Plus I noticed everything seems faster now. Apps seems faster to load and everything seems to be snappier doing this, that, and everything else. It made me remember how it used to be before the ics update. I actually feel ashamed and foolish for listening to a lot of complaints that I read here and so I was scared to do even a hard reset due to this. You can imagine me trudging along these past two months with a slow tablet after the ics update and not doing anything else other than disabling quick settings, uninstalling suspect apps, even uninstalling deemed helpful apps just to be sure ! as it might make things worse, resisting all attempts to do hard resets and the like as suggested repeatedly by the moderators here and just waiting for a cure-all from Asus. All because I thought it was the end of the world from what I read here (I'm so embarrassed but decided that I must write this to so I may put this behind me once and for all). I feel so foolish for putting my trust on some posters here who somehow made me that I have a defective product and not up to par. I cannot even imagine how or why I stayed in this limbo for two months. I will only blame myself and no one else, why I was in state for two months. It's probably because I'm not too knowledgeable about technology or that it's the first computer that I bought with my own hard earned money and I want to protect it and make it last for how much it's worth so I didn't want to do anything that was not a sure cure. I'm not a prolific poster here. I just read, and I read a lot. One thing was sure though, there was a lot of confusion during that time. Nevertheless I made the big mistake of not listening to the moderators who kept on telling everyone to do a hard reset due to the fact that there was an overwhelming feedback of no improvement happening. The confusion, the complaints, the horror stories, made me even doubt the forum later on. All I was sure of was that I have a good product in my hands, tried and tested and tried and tested again and found worthy of the tasks needed in my daily tasks since Aug 2011 when I bought it. It's just a hiccup. And I must admit that in those recent two months my tablet went through excruciating tasks upon tasks and even under heavy stress, I was using only a handful of apps as the launcher might not work, or red bars will appear when I open some apps or shards of glass will appear when 9 apps are running. Flickering when there's too much activity going on. But I managed all this and finished my tasks at work always. My tablet went through a lot and it only made my trust in this brand stronger. Now my tablet is it's usual peak performance after the hard reset. And maybe, if you ask me what other features I'd like to see in future iterations of Asus Transformer : how about one that would make your AT shout at it's owner saying "When the sky is dark, you say it will rain and it does rain. How come you can't seem to read the sign of the times ? I NEED A HARD RESET HERE !!!

- using Asus Transformer named Moses

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links