Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Broken touch screen/digitizer glass

Hi everyone,

I recently dropped my tablet on the floor and the glass/digitizer has broken/cracked (the LCD underneath seems to be 100 % ok). The local official ASUS service point told me that they don't know (LOL) if the glass is a separate part or not and that the repair itself would cost up to 6000 CZK, which is roughly equivalent to 320 $ (LOL again, no way I'm gonna spend that much on a glass repair) Plus shipping.... I've gone through a few threads both here and on the xda forums and I've noticed some people mentioning that there is a possibility of getting the digitizer on eBay etc. and doing the repair at home.

So, my question is, is that really possible/doable? I'd probably get the glass here New original Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 LCD Touch Screen Digitizer | eBay and then either swap it myself, or bring it to a local tablet service center in my neighbourhood (where I guess they should be able to do this).

I'll be grateful for any advice, thanks in advance...
    Last edited by kronos; 04-06-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Bumppppppp.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    961 times
    Sounds possible. Just make sure your buying from a reputable source.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    465 times
    No, it is not possible.

There is a place you can get the glass digitizer, but they require that you buy at least 10 at a time. Furthermore, removing the old glass and putting on a new glass is a very complicated procedure. Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not pressure failure resistant. You've no idea how thin the glass digitizer is. It's slightly thinner than your credit card. Without the proper experience and the right equipment, the slightest pressure point could crack it.

BTW, I speak from experience. I'm not just another crackhead.

I live near a guy that does electronic repairs for a living. A few months ago, he ordered a whole bunch of these digitizer glass for the transformer. He thought he could make a profit from repairing people's TF's or get the ones with broken glass, repair, then resell for a profit. Funny story about this, actually. So, I managed to get my hands on one of the TF glass digitizer. Spent all night to perform the operation. Almost done when I accidently applied a small pressure. Cracked it. Frustrated, I put it up on ebay. It was immediately bought that same night by the guy I was talking about. That's how I got to know him. He bought it for $200. A couple days later, he put it up on ebay. It turned out he had broken a glass and scratched another. He took it as a sign to get out of that business right away. Later when I got to know a few people who wanted to repair the thing themselves, I sent them his info and let him sell them the rest of his glasses.

The point is we simply don't have the right equipment to do these things. And even when we do, the material cost is just ridiculous, not to mention labor.

It's best that you put yours on ebay and get a new one.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    My display cracked yesterday but the digitizer is OK and responding for finger movements.

How it looks with replacing just the display? Would it be easy when I buy replacement?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    A screen replacement on the Prime is $190 plus shipping both ways !

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a new blog on how to remove existing glass digitizer, broken or not. A new glass is going for about $70 on eBay.

How to Remove the Touch Screen (Glass Digitizer) from ASUS TF-101 Tablet

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    No, it is not possible.

There is a place you can get the glass digitizer, but they require that you buy at least 10 at a time. Furthermore, removing the old glass and putting on a new glass is a very complicated procedure. Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not pressure failure resistant. You've no idea how thin the glass digitizer is. It's slightly thinner than your credit card. Without the proper experience and the right equipment, the slightest pressure point could crack it.

BTW, I speak from experience. I'm not just another crackhead.

I live near a guy that does electronic repairs for a living. A few months ago, he ordered a whole bunch of these digitizer glass for the transformer. He thought he could make a profit from repairing people's TF's or get the ones with broken glass, repair, then resell for a profit. Funny story about this, actually. So, I managed to get my hands on one of the TF glass digitizer. Spent all night to perform the operation. Almost done when I accidently applied a small pressure. Cracked it. Frustrated, I put it up on ebay. It was immediately bought that same night by the guy I was talking about. That's how I got to know him. He bought it for $200. A couple days later, he put it up on ebay. It turned out he had broken a glass and scratched another. He took it as a sign to get out of that business right away. Later when I got to know a few people who wanted to repair the thing themselves, I sent them his info and let him sell them the rest of his glasses.

The point is we simply don't have the right equipment to do these things. And even when we do, the material cost is just ridiculous, not to mention labor.

It's best that you put yours on ebay and get a new one.
    So, I've finally done it - bought a digitizer glass on eBay for fifty bucks, replaced it myself at home, with barely any previous experience in tablet or smartphone repairs (with the help of a TF101 disassembly video on YT, and it took under two hours) - everything is working as it should... The material cost was truly ridiculous (~ 4 $ for some double sided tape for mirrors, 1,5 mm, lol - although < 1 mm would be better). It wasn't exactly a walk in the park, but still, you were exaggerating a bit too much...

The point is: guys, if you're reading this and you're having the same problem, it is definitely doable!!!
    Last edited by kronos; 08-23-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

It is doable

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    So, I've finally done it - bought a digitizer glass on eBay for fifty bucks, replaced it myself at home, with barely any previous experience in tablet or smartphone repairs (with the help of a TF101 disassembly video on YT, and it took under two hours) - everything is working as it should... The material cost was truly ridiculous (~ 4 $ for some double sided tape for mirrors, 1,5 mm, lol - although < 1 mm would be better). It wasn't exactly a walk in the park, but still, you were exaggerating a bit too much...

The point is: guys, if you're reading this and you're having the same problem, it is definitely doable!!!
    It is not easy, but with a little patience and perseverance everything is doable. I have changed 3 already in the last month just by watching the YT video. the problem is that they are kind of expensive when your trying to do it as another way of income.... but is doable.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

How damaged was it?

Kronos, congrats on successfully fixing your pad! I remain heartbroken because of my broken machine which was dropped and had the glass heavily cracked.

Can I ask you how the touch pad behaved when you cracked yours? The touch pad on mine has gone erratic, sensing touches from everywhere causing the security slide lock to jump around. But I'm not sure if this is because the actual touchpad is damaged or whether the change in pressure from the cracked screen is causing it to behave this way.

Any advices you could give would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to buy a new screen, spend two hours trying to replace it only to find out that the touchscreen beneath is beyond repair!

Ads