Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Get ebook onto TF101 with no wifi?

Hi guys,

New here, looks like a good forum. I have a question for the knowledgeable. As the title says really - does anyone know how to get an ebook from Amazon onto TF101 with no wifi? I've tried downloading on to PC but there is no 'Transfer via PC' option on the Amazon account.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Maybe I'm missing something(?) Download to pc--transfer to microsd.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet350 View Post
    Hi guys,

New here, looks like a good forum. I have a question for the knowledgeable. As the title says really - does anyone know how to get an ebook from Amazon onto TF101 with no wifi? I've tried downloading on to PC but there is no 'Transfer via PC' option on the Amazon account.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forum

Besides the aforementioned microSD solution you can also connect your TF directly to your PC via the charging cable, No WiFi ?!, not certain if you ever get near a hot spot or do any mail or even how you operate if you can't get connected to the net but E-Mail to yourself would be another option.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the replies. It's not that I never have wifi but I'm on a boat for the next 3 weeks and there's no wifi on it. I tried installing Kindle on this Pc, I downloaded a book to it, connected the Transformer and tried to cut and paste the book from the Pc Kindle folder to the Transformer Kindle folder. It shows that the book is there but it wont open it.

I've searched online and it looks like there should be an option on Amazon to 'download via PC', not 'download to PC' but my account doesnt show this. Does anyone have an account and if so do you have this option.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I doubt you can do this Bullet. The DRM on Amazon downloads is so tight that unless you register a device with their system, any download will not run on it. As you don't have a wifi connection, you won't be able to register your device. Even if you register it via a public hotspot, the download will need to be direct from Amazon to your tf. Sorry...

If you read my e-reading FAQ you will find other options that will work in the way you describe. Hope that helps

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Having read your recent reply, once a kindle book is downloaded to your device, you do not need to be connected to wifi to read it. But you MUST use the Kindle app on your tf, register it & then download directly to it. You can "stock up" before sailing

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet350 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It's not that I never have wifi but I'm on a boat for the next 3 weeks and there's no wifi on it. I tried installing Kindle on this Pc, I downloaded a book to it, connected the Transformer and tried to cut and paste the book from the Pc Kindle folder to the Transformer Kindle folder. It shows that the book is there but it wont open it.

I've searched online and it looks like there should be an option on Amazon to 'download via PC', not 'download to PC' but my account doesnt show this. Does anyone have an account and if so do you have this option.
    That should have worked-- as I have done exactly that myself-- downloaded all my ebooks to the PC's Kindle application, then copy everything over to the Android's kindle folder.

However, you must have the exact same account registered with both kindle applications, in exactly the same way-- and since you don't have WiFi for your TF? I don't see how you can register the Kindle app on your TF, so that it "knows" how to open the copied ebooks from your PC....

... and that may be the problem.

The only solution I can suggest? Is it appears you have network==>internet access for your PC? This means you do have a "live" network connection to the internet somewhere. So go out and buy the cheapest WiFi hub you can find, plug that into the network (instead of your PC-- daisy chain the PC to the hub). Then setup your new WiFi hub to your TF... and download directly.

Alternatively, many have posted that one of those USB-->Network devices work (if you have a dock, that is), and you can connect the network cable directly to the TF itself. But to me, that seems counter-productive, as a WiFi hub is nearly as cheap, (or cheaper in some cases) and will always work.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Bob, Janner.

Just to clarify, I've had the TF for months with Kindle and happily download books onto it with wifi. But I'm working on a boat at the moment, and am running out of books on the TF. I thought that I could download via PC, on same account, but no joy. The USB - LAN adapter... I never even thougth of that... I'll start researching!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links