Thread: TF101 will not boot for long periods

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

TF101 will not boot for long periods

I love my TF101 but... is mine the only one that suffers from long periods during which the screen will not come on?

Although I try to save battery use by occasionally closing the tablet down, returning it to the dock, and leaving them both on charge overnight etc, I frequently find that the power has been draining away while it's not in use (at least I think that's what has been happening) and that when I try to use it after several hours of it being idle (switched off, as I thought) I find the the tablet will no longer switch on. It then takes upwards of 24 hours! before I can get any life back on to the screen, even though I have it attached to the dock and the dock is showing green.

I have sent the unit back to Asus twice already. I bought it in May 2011 and there was initially a problem with charging, which was rectified by the replacement of two parts ("Dock IO_BD./AS" and "BATSDILI-POLY FPACK REV1"). Then in February this latest problem first occurred. As far as I knew, the tablet was never going to come on again! But I think it must have put itself right by the time it reached them, because they returned it in (apparently) good working order without carrying out any repair,

It went dead again about a week ago and I was about to send it back a third time (and insist on a replacement!) when it came back on again after about 24 hours while sitting in the dock.

As I thought it may have something to do with the way I am managing the power, I have been careful over the last few days - but then it went again yesterday and so far I have had it attached to a fully charged (and re-charging) dock for more than 13 hours and there is still no sign of life (I have tried rebooting via the on/off switch and volume control as prescribed, to no avail).

Am I alone in having this problem? It is extremely disruptive, depressing and frustrating. Is it ever going to come on again? Should I insist that Asus give me a replacement?

Any advice would be welcome.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi Jaydee,

Long time member - first post

I guess you have updated to ICS? I suspect this is the source of your problems. I recommend the following
    1. A full Factory Reset - process here http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ory-reset.html
    2. Either turn your tf OFF when not using it overnight or for long periods, or leave it out of the dock when it is sleeping.

For background reading, browse here Ice Cream Sandwich

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Should have mentioned, I suspect your tf is locking up & draining the battery without you realising. You should get it to charge/turn on more easily out of the dock.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for these tips.

Yes I have upgraded to ICS.

1. I will attempt a Factory Reset if and when my TF wakes up again! And I will read up on the ICS notes - which at a quick glance look as if they might have some relevance.

2. I do turn off the TF when I'm not using it (although I have been leaving it docked and charging overnight), and it's when I keep it undocked for any length of time that the problem occurs. Anyway I will heed your advice and see what happens.

My main concern at the moment is bringing it back to life. I have left the TF out of the dock and plugged into the charger at the moment. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Jaydee; 04-04-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I suspect it might take a while to charge sufficiently to turn on. The battery drain in some units has been caused by them switching themselves on, getting stuck in a reboot freeze & the battery just flattens completely.

Overnight, you should get it to turn on again - maybe via a long (30 second) press on the power button. After that, when you can get to it to Factory Reset, follow the process in the thread I mentioned & be careful about which apps you reinstall etc.

The ICS section has lots of threads that will probably have some relevance to your situation. The good news is that Asus are aware & are working on a firmware update - also a FR has fixed similar issues for many. The bad news is that ICS - while faster & slicker - does have some stability issues.

Let us know how you get on.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, just for the record, there's still no signs of life after nearly three days! I've had the tablet un-docked and plugged into the charger (which I have checked is working) continuously since 5 pm Wednesday (it's now 10.55am, Friday). Every now and again I hold the on button for thirty seconds or more, but there is no response (other than a very faint "click" after about 10 seconds).

Is there anything else I should be trying?
    Last edited by Jaydee; 04-06-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Should have mentioned, I suspect your tf is locking up & draining the battery without you realising. You should get it to charge/turn on more easily out of the dock.
    Much the same here, except my rear camera is rubbish, software works ok, have also tried Camera 360 and Camera ICS+ , but all pics are out of focus and low resolution.
    But now after several hard resets (as asked to do by Asus) now after leaving it all night.. it wont start... no amount of button pressing..
    What a pile of crock this stuff is... Its only just come back from a 6 week repair at Asus and my warranty is up this month.
    its so going on Ebay when it comes back again..
    Good luck with yours and if anyone knows how to switch on a TF101 please speak...

Steve

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Read the thread from the start.

Based on the reports to date, I'm inclined to believe that a battery issue is still in play. It could be excess drain overnight, or else simply a defective component, but the symptoms reported could come from a bad re-charging system (the battery or related components).

If it were me, I'd RMA it with a letter outlining the previous repair, along with the symptoms since. But that's just me.

It's indeed unfortunate that the OP is having the problem.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks ASUSFAN0001. I am still basically optimistic as I love my TF when it's working.

The last time it went off I actually went as far as reporting it to ASUS saying that a third breakdown suggested that I should have a replacement. But it came back to life almost as soon as I had sent off that report, and I sent another one saying it looked ok.

It's the Easter weekend now so not much is happening. I'll leave it on charge for a little longer, and then maybe I'll go back to ASUS. The most frustrating thing is without it booting up I can't try out any of the helpful advice I've been given!

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    247 times
    I did not see it mentioned BUT maybe this will help I have seen a few threads that said after pluging it into a regular USB port or charger for at least 4 hours it wakes the battery up and it will start taking a charge.
    No guarantee but if it works will save you the RMA.

Best of luck.
    ASUSFAN0001 likes this.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links