Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times

App Data Backup

Please tell me there is an app that will backup the data from my various apps. Titanium requires rooting. MyBackup Pro that I've purchased isn't doing it. Most of my apps that I do not want to re-enter tedious data on will backup but it's to the mnt/sdcard which is local storage and wiped by a factory reset. I want these 5-6 app's data backed up to my micro SD card and i really don't want to root just to do that.

Any ideas?
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Unfortunately all of the apps that back up your app data do require root. MBUP has deeper functions that are only accessible with root access. That I what I use on my DX to back up when flashing new ROMS.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Wow! Another strike against Android. Even my old Palm Pilot would allow backups. I guess I need to get the developers of my apps to allow for backup to external cards. That was a good thing about iTunes sync because even today if I was to go buy another ipad I could just hook it up to my Mac and hit restore from backup and in about 30 minutes it would be just like the one I sold a couple weeks ago.

I messed up about 3 weeks ago and did a factory reset thinking all my data was backed up and it was, just on the mnt card so it was wiped. I then spent several evenings retyping my behind off. Trying to move 4-5 app backup files once a week from the mnt card to my micro card is gonna be a pain and I'll get behind for sure.

I will keep working on a solution.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Technically speaking Android doesn't support external memory outside the single sdcard. The Asus and other tablets support it because they modified Android to do so.

A news story that recently came out about the Xoom is that Canadian and other non-US Xooms would be getting SD card support in the 3.1 release this July. However... the US has 3.1 but without external SD card support. US Xooms have the so called "Google Experience" which I believe means they must run Android sans mods.

Anyway the point is that the external memory we enjoy isn't technically supported by Google and so developers may not be writing apps to provide such support.

Have you thought about using something like Titanium Media Sync? It will automatically copy files from your SD card to dropbox or ftp servers. I use it for syncing images and videos from my gallery and some other files to my dropbox. Works well.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Mickeylittle likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Thanks Jersey I will look this over real close this weekend.
    Current Devices:

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Wow! Another strike against Android. Even my old Palm Pilot would allow backups. I guess I need to get the developers of my apps to allow for backup to external cards.
    Actually, if you ask the developers of the software you are using to just use googles backup service - things would be much easier as your data would be saved to the cloud and can be easily restored if you reset your device. Hexage, the game developer, has started added this backup code to their apps.

Having said that, it would be very convenient to be able to just save all our app data to an SD card or something else... Blame linux, not google for our data being locked.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I am currently using app backup and restore and while i have not done a restore it is backing up my apps to my external sd without rooting.
    im happy so far but i need to test restore to see how it functions.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskan View Post
    I am currently using app backup and restore and while i have not done a restore it is backing up my apps to my external sd without rooting.im happy so far but i need to test restore to see how it functions.
    This is only backing up the apps themselves. Not the data associated with them. Getting to the app data requires root. There is no way around that.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    Actually, if you ask the developers of the software you are using to just use googles backup service - things would be much easier as your data would be saved to the cloud and can be easily restored if you reset your device. Hexage, the game developer, has started added this backup code to their apps.

Having said that, it would be very convenient to be able to just save all our app data to an SD card or something else... Blame linux, not google for our data being locked.

Blame linux? That's ridiculous. Linux is OPEN SOURCE. Google used the SOURCE to create Android. That's like blaming typos on your keyboard.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus Ace View Post
    Blame linux? That's ridiculous. Linux is OPEN SOURCE. Google used the SOURCE to create Android. That's like blaming typos on your keyboard.
    Oh come on, if you've ever used Linux, you know damn well that nothing can be done on the system level unless you are a "superuser" (which is like rooting on Android). Since Android i based on linux, it will have the same backend security. Yes, blame linux for having iron-clad security.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links