Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    1 times

Question A Transformer, a dock and a kindle?

I have a pile of books on my Kindle touch. We recently had a 24 hour power outage and I was left with only the kindle and the transformer active. At night I couldn't read on the kindle, so I tried to transfer the books to my Transformer by plugging the kindle into the dock USB client port and while the kindle looked like it was attached, I couldn't find the kindle using either of the file managers [Astro and one built in].

Anybody tried something like this?
    Isn't it supposed to work. I'll try a thumb drive and see what happens. Haven't done that yet.

Is this a Transformer problem or an Android problem? I have Honey Comb, not ICS yet.

Sure seems like this should work.

- ww

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Where did you check for the mount? If you look on the standard root then you'll not see it. You have to go right up (I use File Manager HD for this) and you'll see a Removable directory. In there, assuming the Kindle is mounting as a Mass Storage device then you'll see it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    1 times
    Just tried a 2GB thumb drive. Works fine. Need to use built in app called File Manager. ASTRO doesn't see it.
    Shows up in root as "Removable". However, when you connect a Kindle, it does not show up this way.
    Removable shows up, but is empty.
    - ww

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi, it might work, but I doubt it. Even if you were able to "see" the files on your kindle & copy them onto your tf, they probably wouldn't open because of the DRM on them.

MUCH simpler option... Update the Kindle app on your tf & sync all the books to it as well. Job done. No frustration.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Also, not all USB devices mount the same way.

My iPod shows up in /Removable/. But my iPhone does not show up there, it opens up Gallery as the TF sees it as a camera and not a USB mass storage device.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    1 times

Unhappy Yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi, it might work, but I doubt it. Even if you were able to "see" the files on your kindle & copy them onto your tf, they probably wouldn't open because of the DRM on them.

MUCH simpler option... Update the Kindle app on your tf & sync all the books to it as well. Job done. No frustration.
    These are books without DRM from feedbooks.com and gutenberg.org. And as I pointed out, I did not have computers or internet available due to power outtage. No problem plugging the tablet into my computer and getting my books from that when the power was on. So problem solved, but...

My point is that there is a bug somewhere that the kindle will not mount on the transformer.
    So to repeat... My question is "Where is the bug? Kindle? Android OS? or Driver for Dock from ASUS?

- ww

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by windyweather View Post
    These are books without DRM from feedbooks.com and gutenberg.org. And as I pointed out, I did not have computers or internet available due to power outtage. No problem plugging the tablet into my computer and getting my books from that when the power was on. So problem solved, but...

My point is that there is a bug somewhere that the kindle will not mount on the transformer.
    So to repeat... My question is "Where is the bug? Kindle? Android OS? or Driver for Dock from ASUS?

- ww
    When you plug the kindle into a PC, how does it mount, as removable storage, or some other method (such as MTP)?

But then again, my iPhone mounts as USB storage on a PC but shows up as a camera on the TF101 dock and the files (other than photos) are not accessable no matter how I try.

My guess is it is an issue with the TF101 and how it handles the Kindle when it is mounted and does not have the proper driver for it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Also, not all USB devices mount the same way.

My iPod shows up in /Removable/. But my iPhone does not show up there, it opens up Gallery as the TF sees it as a camera and not a USB mass storage device.
    I have looked with File Explorer and do see an empty /Removable/ but don't see anything else. So apparently, the Kindle does not mount, or mounts an empty folder rather than it's content.
    - ww
    Last edited by windyweather; 03-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by windyweather View Post
    I have looked with File Explorer and do see an empty /Removable/ but don't see anything else. So apparently, the Kindle does not mount, or mounts an empty folder rather than it's content.
    - ww
    Well that definitely sounds like the Kindle is not acting like a mass storage device. Perhaps there is a config item on the Kindle to be mass storage? I don't have one so I am only surmising.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    45 times
    I just plugged my Kindle into the TF101 dock and immediately saw the "Preparing external storage". A new icon appears next to the clock to show a device has been attached. Clicking on this shows the Kindle listed as "USBdisk2". Clicking on the folder icon next to this opens the stock file manager and shows the contents of the Kindle. I can browse all the folders and see the books on it. The USB connection also charges the Kindle.

You can browse the Kindle in ES File Explorer if you have that. At the top left of the ES screen, there's an icon called Favorites. Click this and a window will open showing any removable drives connected. The Kindle will be one of them and you can click this and browse it. File Manager HD also works by navigating to the root folder and going into "Removable".

windyweather, I don't have Astro, but if it helps I'll install a copy and see if I can get into the Kindle with it?
    Asus Eee Transformer TF101 with dock (both B70) and Android ICS v4.0.3
    Rooted using ViperMOD PrimeTime 4.5 Root (again)

Rooting, the easy way - HERE
    How to perform a factory reset - HERE
    Anti-virus and Malware help & advice - HERE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links