Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Should I install ICS

Haven't installed it yet and sort of happy I didn't given all the problems people are reporting.

I can't live without wifi, kindle, aldiko, pdf viewer and bsplayer. Don't know if it's worth the risk to update as everything works fine now.

Does asus tell you how to cold boot in the instructions manual or is this something that people just discovered on their own. Seems kind of iffy to do.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    So far I have had zero issues.. keep in mind, many people only post when there is a problem. Backup the data and update!!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser2012 View Post
    Haven't installed it yet and sort of happy I didn't given all the problems people are reporting.

I can't live without wifi, kindle, aldiko, pdf viewer and bsplayer. Don't know if it's worth the risk to update as everything works fine now.

Does asus tell you how to cold boot in the instructions manual or is this something that people just discovered on their own. Seems kind of iffy to do.
    Do you have a TF 101 or a TF 201?
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I think most users have little to no issues. I just upgraded yesterday, had to adjust a few settings (wifi sleep, and the sort) but it is all roses for me.

It feels much much more responsive when it is working right. If it is not working right, chances are it is an app that is causing the issue. You can either start removing apps trying to find the culprit, or backup your data, wipe and start over. Install one or two apps at a time and wait to see when it starts happening again.

There are some bugs, like the stock browser does not remember the Desktop setting but there are workarounds (Dolphin, ICS Browser +). But in general it is a nice upgrade.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser2012 View Post

Like Fred said, it is well worth doing for most people. I'm sure there are a few out there with some unexplained problems that can be corrected with a little patience and help from our Rescue Squad. And there maybe even a hand full that somehow just got screwed up by the update as I guess anything is possible.

Here is how to do a Cold Boot:

Cold Boot: Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off and Press and Hold the power button and the "Down" volume button together until after the normal start up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen then let them both go. After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Boot" appears in the list near the top of the screens and just press and release the "Down" volume button again and let it reboot. If you own the dock be sure and do this with the dock connected.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    45 times
    To contrast what others have said in this thread, my answer would be "no, don't upgrade yet". Honeycomb worked flawlessly for me and I was very pleased with it. ICS has proved to be quite frustrating and very buggy for some users, including myself. I take the point that the majority of users may indeed be very happy with ICS, but based on the frustrations posted in these forums (and presumably all the other Android forums out there), I'd hang on for a new patch. It's better to get both sides to help you make up your mind
    Asus Eee Transformer TF101 with dock (both B70) and Android ICS v4.0.3
    Rooted using ViperMOD PrimeTime 4.5 Root (again)

Rooting, the easy way - HERE
    How to perform a factory reset - HERE
    Anti-virus and Malware help & advice - HERE

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I had a few quirky instances the day I upgraded, like shut offs and random things which I will just blame on the system getting squared away and completely settled. I myself did a hard reset, after backing up all the apps and the thing works night and day better than HC. Its fast and responsive, no force closing, just all around so much better. As the other have said, most people only post when they have issues or want to complain. How many times have you had great food in a restaurant and walked up the manager and told him the waiter was great and the food was amazing? Chances are never...If the food or service was bad though, you bet your last dollar you would let them know.
    Transformer, iPad 2, Asus Netbook
    Mac Pro, iPhone 4, Mac Mini
    Custom Built PC (AMD)
    Hp TouchPad , Vizio Tablet
    HTC HD2 Cynogenmod, Nabi Tablet

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If I go ahead with the upgrade and and I have problems, if I do a factory reset at that point will the tablet be returned to its pre-ICS state or is the ICS update permanent?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Most folks have successfully updated/uupgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich.

It would seem there isn't any substantial reason NOT to upgrade.

Ancillary issues appear to be primarily centered on 3rd party specific apps that may not have been updated to properly operate on ICS.

More on that topic here:

Ice Cream Sandwich Update problems - APPS could be the Source
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links