Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: GPS not working?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Over the last three days my GPS has essentially stopped working altogether. I am running an ASUS Transformer TF101, unrooted. I have tried shutting the wireless off. I have also tried shutting the tablet on and off, as well as uninstalling a few GPS apps which I have recently installed. However, there's been no joy. I don't believe that it is something as simple as where I am standing because I have tested it in the same locations that it worked before and now it does not pick me up at all. The circular cross hairs on the bottom right of the screen is simple a black circle and constantly says searching for gps. Then, eventually a message flashes across my screen that "your position cannot be located at this time, even though I am outside in exactly the same spot as before. I have tried GPSfix and it also cannot do anything. Can someone help me sort this as soon as possible? I am suppose to travel tomorrow and I will need my gps to find my way around.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    First, hate to ask the obvious, but in Settings - Location - GPS, is the GPS location ticked? I am pretty sure it will warn you if it is not.

Another thing you can try is to just leave your Maps (or other GPS app open to a map) for a while and see if it eventually gets a fix on your location. Sometimes it takes my TF 15 minutes to get a fix on me, and it says my location cannot be determined.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    12 times
    Make sure you've got a completely clear view of the sky. Even trees can block the GPS signal. If you don't get a location fix in 15-20 minutes then I'd say there's something wrong with your Transformer.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    OK, here's the definitive way to figure out if your GPS is working.

I found two apps on Android Market :

https://market.android.com/details?i...sim.gpsstatus2

https://market.android.com/details?i...tcross.gpstest

I had to restart my tablet after installing to get them to work. Meaning I shut it down, and then turned it back on again.

Both apps will show you how many satellites it can see. You may be able to see 1 or 2 indoors, more if you're near a window.

GPS Test is easier to use, I recommend trying that first. If you haven't used the GPS for a long time, or if you've traveled a long distance, you may only see 1 or 2 satellites for a long time, before the rest starts appearing. You should have 6 or more satellites before you can get a location fix. The bars start off grey, and when the GPS receiver received ranging data, it turns to color. If you don't see any satellites at all, after a few minutes, there may be a problem. Reboot (cold start) your tablet. If that didn't fix it, there may be a problem with the hardware. The only problem I can think of is a broken trace to the antenna, not very likely.
    Last edited by theimmc; 12-11-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    ICS and BurnZ like this.

ICS
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Installed GPS Test from the "Market" - turned OFF my pad - turned it back on - GPS now working - excellent - thanks
    Age is our worst enemy - I know because I have already lost the battle !!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am totally confused now. I just got confirmation from ASUS a few days ago. The tech person there said the GPS (US model) will not work if there is no WiFi. This is a firmware issue. It may be fixed in next firmware update.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by prbgd View Post
    I am totally confused now. I just got confirmation from ASUS a few days ago. The tech person there said the GPS (US model) will not work if there is no WiFi. This is a firmware issue. It may be fixed in next firmware update.
    Update: after the latest firmware upgrade today, GPS is working great now even without WiFi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links