Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

First day issues

Well, my first day with the TF 101 is over and I have sadly been underwhelmed.

The first thing out of the box last night (post charge), it connected instantly (upon passkey) to my network - I was amazed at how fast. Then on my "to do" list were install flash and run updates for tab and dock - it prompted me for all 3 - I was ecstatic.

Then I started installing some apps recommended by some folks on the board and by then it had been an hour or so so I took to transferring my files I wanted for today's gaming session - pdfs mostly. Had to re-download them since I couldn't find the SD card in the dock (see below).

So I get to my session today and switch it on hoping to wow everyone with my shiny new tablet, and I had nothing but problems.

Issue #1: Browsers crash. Every time I touch a link that opens a new tab, the browser (both default and Dolphin HD) crashes and must be restarted. Haven't figured out how to make this behave yet.

Issue #2: Cannot find SD card. MicroSD shows up fine, but the dock SD card I just have a simple 2 GB SD to use for sharing files to other machines without BT. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the TF to recognize that I have an SD in the slot.

Issue #3: Won't recognize droid (Incredible) as hard drive for file transfer - won't even find it using OEM USB cable. Bluetooth transfer works for a few minutes then quits, but I want to transfer over my 12 GB or so of music so BT is too slow anyway.

Issue #4: Adobe Reader, Polaris office both ran out of memory viewing pdfs. The file sizes were around 50 MB, but even my 3 year old eee Netbook can handle this, albeit slowly. I got "out of memory" errors and horrible lag when viewing - like taking 10 seconds to load each page. I gave up after a while and went back to the netbook. All I used today were gmail, browser, and pdf reader - I am disappointed if it can't handle that when my old netbook can.

How do I do a RAM test? I think faulty RAM could cause most of this.

Thanks in advance for any willing to venture opinions.

Oh, and PowerAmp doesn't play anything. Default music and Mobo play just fine. I even tested Netflix thru PlayOn (web link) and it worked. Now if I could get it to do something useful...

the battery, however, was outstanding. A couple hours of use and I was still around 90%.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Sounds like you had a bummer of a day! It seems that after doing any Os updates that a Hard Reset is suggested so I will include instructions for doing that. Afterwards make sure that you have the newest version of Dolphin as they officially releases 5.1 and not the beta, mid afternoon. Here are the instructions...

I suggest unplugging the power cord and shutting the unit off and trying a Hard Reset. Press and Hold the power button and the Down volume button together and hold them for 10-12 seconds and let them both go. You should see a little shape in the middle of the screen so just press and release the Down volume button again and let it reboot. See if this clears up your problem. Be sure and do this with the dock connected.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested and reset the machine. All issues are still present. I updated Dolphin to 5.1 and it crashed the first time I clicked a link this morning.

I also got low memory warning in Polaris while reading a pdf again.

Something is wrong - perhaps the RAM. I am going to contact Asus.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    And while sitting here, I just noticed it likes to reset itself (power off and power on). I discovered this while doing other things and noticing the pad startup screen (ASUS) light up for no reason then go to the desktop.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Something isn't right. You may need to RMA your tablet. I know you said it ran an update but make sure it is on 3.1.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Definitely on 3.1 - even found the bee while checking. Also made sure Dolphin is 5.1. Still get errors and crashes. I will call tomorrow to RMA if nothing is better.

Thanks for your help.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Sounds like you had a bummer of a day! It seems that after doing any Os updates that a Hard Reset is suggested so I will include instructions for doing that. Afterwards make sure that you have the newest version of Dolphin as they officially releases 5.1 and not the beta, mid afternoon. Here are the instructions...

I suggest unplugging the power cord and shutting the unit off and trying a Hard Reset. Press and Hold the power button and the Down volume button together and hold them for 10-12 seconds and let them both go. You should see a little shape in the middle of the screen so just press and release the Down volume button again and let it reboot. See if this clears up your problem. Be sure and do this with the dock connected.
    Does the "hard reset" do the same thing as the "factory data reset"? My TF had some kind of glitch in it that caused it to reboot on it's own when a certain app was installed. I deleted the app and it stopped. I still could not get the known good app to work (PowerAMP), but once I did the factory data reset and reinstalled the app it worked, and no reboots either.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there a way to check the RAM available in the tablet? Or do I need to download an app? I want to know what the tablet "thinks" it has for RAM because I just don't understand how it runs out of memory viewing a 7.5 MB pdf.

I don't see a memory indicator so I will look in the market.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK I downloaded a couple memory apps and find that instead of the 1024 MB of memory I should have, all of the memory apps say I have a max of 728 or 729 MB. Of that, they all agree that I only had 301 or 302 available MB left. One of them also functioned as a task killer so I was able to free up some more RAM, but still only got to 465 MB available.

Is this normal? I know RAM is usually not maximum as advertised but mine seems low at a max of 728. Since I have only used a few programs, only having 301 available doesn't seem right.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links