Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    139 times

Damaged my tablet - any way to fix?

I accidentally dropped my Transformer when walking through a door. It was in a padded messenger bag, but it slipped out of my hand and fell on the corner. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with it until a day later (today), when I saw that the thin flange of metal that runs along the bottom of the 32-pin connector for the charger, on the left hand side of the dock was bent out and up....thus obscuring my ability to plug the charger into the dock keyboard.

I've pushed on it with my fingers, and have bent it back enough to plug the charger in, but it's still kind of crooked. Any ideas how to straighten it out?

I've got an extended warranty, and I'm wondering if it's worth calling Staples to see if they have a solution.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times
    Sorry to hear about your malady. But hearing you describe it I'm wondering, (assuming nothing else is wrong) if taking it to a jeweler might help. With their tools and magnifying loops they may be able to knock it back into shape.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    Not sure how handy you are, but, another thing I could think of would be to take the tablet apart and put the metal piece on a flat hard surface and push (or LIGHTLY strike) with another flat hard surface. But that would probably void your warranty.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    139 times
    Prior to this happening, I'd had it on my list of "to do's" to bring my tablet in, and have them look into a battery drain issue with the keyboard. I had a B60 keyboard, but when fully turned off, it was draining down by like 10-12% per 24 hours. So there's been a problem with the keyboard all along

I reported this at the store, and got a sympathetic manager who replaced it for me. Probably only the second time in my life I've actually benefited from buying an extended warranty. I've largely stopped purchasing warranties, because I usually find they wear out before anything actually goes wrong. Only other time I benefited from one is on a colour laser printer.....bought a 4 year warranty, and the printer died at 3 years, 11 months. Got a brand new one with extra features, since they generally go by what you originally spent, and prices always go down.

Guess I got lucky. They did mention the TF101 has been discontinued....which could pose problems given my warranty is supposed to last another 2 years.

Incidentally, I just tried out my tablet turned "off" for an extended period with the new keyboard, and I can confirm that the drain is significantly less. After, uh....about 16 hours of it being off, I just turned it back on, and there was 0% battery drain on the keyboard. That's more like it. These things should really only see about 1-2% over a 24 hour period. The new dock is a B90......so it looks like the B60's still had problems.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked