Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times

Gmail

Hi there,
    Im about as fried as i can get. I got thistransformer and the docking keyboard and am getting nowhere.
    It is 7pm and ive been trying since 4pm to send an email through gmail

This is an Android with a google system but it won't interface.
    I started composing the emilonly to find the keyboard won't work in gmail. I tried for an hour, then tried without the keyboard and got no further becaue there eems to be no way to access the contacts list to select who it is going to. I wnnt to send it to 12 people and i don't know all their emai addresses so need access to the contacts to select them.

Ieven tried using the keyboard to compose this, but every timr i tapped a key i got a popup or the screen changed or settings opened etc.

How are we supposed to use gmail on these things and what's with the keyboad having a mind totally its own? Have i got a faulty unit?

Any help would be appreciated as i am so frustrared at this point i'm about ready to give up and just get a small laptop. I have an iPhone which i love (still can'tselect gmail contacts to send to while composing an emil though. I thought this would be better because google does android. Totally disappionted so far.

Now i have to drive 15 miles back home to send an email i thought i could do from this. It would have been better for me to have just brought my 17" laptop.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    961 times
    In order to get you up and running on Gmail we need some additional info.

How are you accessing Gmail? Are you using the Gmail or the Asus Mail App?
    As for your KB issue: Have you gone into setting and selected a default KB?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    If you are using the GMail app, you will need to make sure your contacts are being sync'd to your device. Check the Contacts app.

The GMail app does not have a contact lookup, but if you start typing their name or email address it will give you options to choose from based on your contacts.

If you are trying to use a browser, there is an issue with the desktop version of the GMail website and the virtual keyboard will not pop up. Even trying to use the physical keyboard will force close the browsers in my experience.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Gmail

It sounds like you may have a faulty unit. As soon as I took mine out of the box and powered it up, it asked for my default gmail user name & password. I typed it in and it sync everything. Sending email with attachment with one click. I'm not sure why you are having a problem. Stupid question but did you check your settings to make sure your Gmail account info was entered write - did it sync your contacts?
    Dave
    Eee Pad TF101 not rooted (yet)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    It was working before I got the keyboard dock. I did sync the contacts although the only email I'd been sending had been replies to ones I'd received.

The keyboard dock is totally nuts now. I can enter my password etc. to start using it but as soon as I connect to the internet the keys send signals that are totally misinterpreted by the browser. For example...if I start an email and begin to type the address the normal thing happens and matches appear that I can touch to accept. Then I got to the "subject" and as soon as I type anything...I'm popped right out and into something else ..history, inbox, sent mail ..whatever. It just won't let me type a damm thing. Sometimes I'll hit a key ..say "b" and bang..a series of 3 or 4 advertisements blast away at me. ...the windows on the screen change size, etc. ..it is just totally out of control.

I checked the settings and they all look fine. I see nothing there that I can interpret as influencing the keyboard's behavior when on web.

I'm a longtime Windows user and cannot believe how user unfriendly the android system is. It's like it's patched togethere with play dough and bubble gum.

I couldn't figure out how to close anything because there is no obvious button anywhere to do so, so I searched for that and ended up getting "advanced task killer". What a beauty that is! Lists all the open apps, all are checked so I select "Kill seleced apps" ...they seem to go away but when I return to my home screen and hit the little windows icon the sidebar opens and all the apps I thought I killed show up. If I click on any of them I'm taken to exactly where I closed them. Some are unsolicited web pages with ads I neither want nor have the time to look at.

I'm a photographer and most pros have ipads now but I thought this looked even better so I'd get it and be ahead of the curve. Anyone know how to get a barbed hook out of one's lip?

I got a 32g mini sd card for it to have a total of 42g of storage available and have an eye-fi card enroute. From the two weeks of frustration I've had with this so far I can't even imagine how ridiculous it will be trying to do anything with photos on it. Without a mouse there is no accuracy in selecting anything. (my fingers and thumbs are thick and calloused and often the screens don't even react to them. I hoped the little pad on the keyboard would help but the cursor simulates a finger tip and if two things are close together ..either one can be selected and 50% of the time its the wrong one.

While it 'remembers' all the wi-fi connections I use, the next time it connects properly will be the first time it ever has. To make any of them work I first have to have it "forget" them, then manually connect after it discovers them again. Even at home! I simply haven't found one thing that machine does as good as the worst windows machine I've ever owned.

The unit sure looks great but it's all eye candy from my perspective. I have yet to find one app that it runs successfully or one operation besides turning it on ..that runs intuitively. Anything to throw on the market and get revenue. Any app to toss out for 99 cents and who cares if it works. There's one born every minute ..right?

Sorry to rant but I got my unit before Christmas and it has been the bain of my existance ever since.

I hope these things are working for the rest of you.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 01-14-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Offer to sell TF is Against Forum Rules

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Could it be that you are having trouble typing because your thumbs are hitting the touchpad? I have this issue to. Tapping the 4th key from the left on the top row of keys will toggle the touchpad off and on.

Also, the button next to the home key is called "Recent Apps" not "Running Apps". Android does a fairly good job of managing open apps so you do not have to close them like you would on a PC.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ads