Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

brand new eee pad wont turn on

Just recieved a shiny new eee pad today and it wont turn on. Nothing appears on the display at all. Not even a backlight.

Connecting it to a Windows 7 PC using the supplied USB lead causes the PC to try and install drivers for "MTP Device" and fail after 2 mins.

Connecting it to the dock makes no difference. The power light on the dock is solid orange which I understand means there is around 95% battery power left.

I have had it connected to the electrical mains outlet using the supplied usb lead and mains adaptor, for 3 hours since receiving it and it made no difference.

The only sound I can get out of it is a clicking sound, if I hold the power button down for 10 seconds. Still nothing appears on the display.

Is this unit dead?

Thanks for reading

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Try pressing the power button and the "down" volume button together for about 10-15 seconds and let them go. If you see a box appear in the middle of your screen after a few seconds just press the down volume button 1 more time. if nothing happens then press and hold the power button by itself for another 5-6 seconds and release. If nothing, repeat the hard reset once more.

Good luck and please report back one way or the other.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    After the holding the power and the vol down for 20 seconds the word ASUS appeared in barely legible (very very dark gray against the black display) writing, in the middle of the bottom inch of the pad. After that the device made a "click" sound and did nothing else. Tried it about 5-6 times including as soon as the word asus appeared, pressing the volume down on its own for 5 seconds, but no change.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by retnox View Post
    After the holding the power and the vol down for 20 seconds the word ASUS appeared in barely legible (very very dark gray against the black display) writing, in the middle of the bottom inch of the pad. After that the device made a "click" sound and did nothing else. Tried it about 5-6 times including as soon as the word asus appeared, pressing the volume down on its own for 5 seconds, but no change.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!
    That's not sounding good at all. Sorry but back it goes!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just wanted to reply to this thread because I received a Eee Pad Transformer in the mail today and am having similar issues. Fresh out the box I tried to power it on and nothing happened. So I plugged it in to the wall for an hour and then pushed the power button while it was still plugged in. The ASUS splash screen came up for a second or so and then the screen went black again. I then heard a brief sound and then a click and... nothing. So I let it charge for another hour or so thinking that I just didn't have enough juice to turn it on, even though it's plugged in (never had to deal with that before but just in case). After that hour I powered on again and the very same thing happened. I then looked close and could actually see that the back light was still on, which means that the pad is was actually on but just had no video. In addition, the splash screen that does come up looks very dismal and with what appears to be dead pixels. It's hazy and not clear and crisp at all.

Anyway, so I called ASUS tech support, explained the issue and right off he wants to wipe the pad. I said no as it looks like a video issue and therefore probably has nothing to do with the software.

Sending this back to Newegg tomorrow.
    Last edited by jbit; 09-21-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Jbit, It sounds like you didn't even give your new TF a chance to charge. Asus recommends an 8 hour charge out of the box. That is probably your problem.

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jbit View Post
    Just wanted to reply to this thread because I received a Eee Pad Transformer in the mail today and am having similar issues. Fresh out the box I tried to power it on and nothing happened. So I plugged it in to the wall for an hour and then pushed the power button while it was still plugged in. The ASUS splash screen came up for a second or so and then the screen went black again. I then heard a brief sound and then a click and... nothing. So I let it charge for another hour or so thinking that I just didn't have enough juice to turn it on, even though it's plugged in (never had to deal with that before but just in case). After that hour I powered on again and the very same thing happened. I then looked close and could actually see that the back light was still on, which means that the pad is was actually on but just had no video. In addition, the splash screen that does come up looks very dismal and with what appears to be dead pixels. It's hazy and not clear and crisp at all.

Anyway, so I called ASUS tech support, explained the issue and right off he wants to wipe the pad. I said no as it looks like a video issue and therefore is probably has nothing to do with the software.

Sending this back to Newegg tomorrow.
    I think the issue is you did not charge the TF for 8 hours as Asus recommends. Make sure the TF is off and plug it into your PC USB port. Leave it with the PC on for 2 hours. It should work fine.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I let it charge for over 8 hours last night and the issue remains the same. The problem is with the video. I also called Asus support back last night and they agree.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    The focus point here is "received". When you buy a notebook or a tablet from a store, they ask you to wait 30 mins at least to check the OS install status of the device, it's settings, and to check if the screen has dead pixels, and then when you come back to acquire your device, they ask you to double check if you yourself see anyproblems with it.

If you "receive" which means order devices from internet, they come unjuiced, unchecked, and they mostly require a system install that most users cannot perform.

The point is, if you can, try to buy your devices from stores, since forums are full of pissed-off users about devices they "received".
    Last edited by nitefox; 09-21-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Got the replacement transformer today. Plugged it in to the wall first thing out of the box and it started to boot on it's own. Saw the first Asus splash with "Eee Pad" and then I saw the next Asus splash screen, which yesterday was in a hazy blue with a floating solid blue bar on the left of the screen, that is now in black. A nice clear, crisp screen with the word "Asus" almost jumping out at me. : )

It powered down on it's own as it had no juice. I let it charge for a solid three hours and then booted it up. Works perfect. Setup was quick and easy. Excellent tablet. Fast and smooth. : )
    Got it connected to the net and it automatically downloaded the Honeycomb update.

Props to Newegg for taking care of me and shipping me a new one without waiting to get the old one.
    Last edited by jbit; 09-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links