Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Alternative USB-based charging methods for TF101 besides using ASUS supplied charger?

Hi All,

There has been much written about the so-called “wal wart” chargers that ASUS has been supplying the TF101 with.

Having said that, the TF101 is a great product, and I’d like to find a way to move off this dependence.

As I’ve only had the TF101 for 24hrs, which is now up to 20% charge (trickle charging from a USB 2.0 port) and can’t charge with a my now broken 0B-2LF “wal wart” charger, please forgive my ignorance on some things. New to tablets, but been a Android phone user since the HTC Magic days (yay to r00ting).

What I would like to understand better are all the parameters that need to be met for the TF101 to be charged while it is still on, and would appreciate any advice people have from experience.

I’ve been using an app called Dual Battery Widget (when you click on the widget it lets you know whether it is charging or not, as I don’t know what a what the visual indicator for a turned on charging TF101 is!). Note also so far the only way I’ve been charging is via a standard 5V 0.5A USB 2.0 ports with the TF101 completely turned off. Rate is about 1-3%, and that from I can tell from various threads in this forum is normal.

One thing I have noticed is that USB 3.0 plays a large role. Is the charge cable supplied by ASUS a spec compliant USB 3.0 connector on one?

I have noticed various comments suggesting that a recent MacBook Pro with a USB 2.0 port can charge a TF101. However, is this with the TF101 turned on? There are suggestions that recent MacBook Pro’s ship with a 10W power supply on the USB 2.0 ports.

Has anyone tried using a USB 3.0 Hub (like the Unitek product from Jaycar – cat no ) with a 5V 2A power supply to charge the TF101 while it was still on?

Has anyone found a way to deliver 10W from a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port without using an Apple charger?

Things I’ve tried with my TF101:

An Apple charger, USB 2.0 and rated at 5.1V 2.1A, and didn’t charge my tablet – has anyone been able to charge using Apple products?

Dell XPS 14z USB 3.0 port, and it didn’t my charge. I have no idea what Dell supplies as max current on a USB 3.0 port, USB 3.0 spec only requires 0.9A max to be supplied, though more can be supplied for sure.

About 30 different USB 2.0 ports (PC’s & laptops of different ages, phone chargers, etc).

Finally – do I possibly have a malfunctioning tablet perhaps that can’t be charged?

Regards
    fusionx
    Last edited by fusionx599; 01-05-2012 at 10:10 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    Welcome to the forum!

In order to trigger the charging indicator (on the TF101), you need 11 VDC. It should be the same for the Prime.

Other products (including an iPad charger) will charge, but slowly with the screen off. iPad charger yields about 10% per hour on my TF101 with the screen off.

For a car charger, I took a USB power plug, ripped out the components on the circuit board and direct wired the 12 VDC straight through with a 1.5 Amp fuse.

Also the wall wart is rated for 15 VDC and 1.2 Amps.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Frederuco,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried the 10W (5v 2A) Apple charger with the TF101 turned off and it didn't charge it anymore then a normal USB 2.0 port, about 1% per hour.

Note also I am still trying to charge my TF101 for the first time - it is upto 50% now of its first charge.

Where is the "charging indicator" on a TF101?

My wal wart charger is rated at 5V 2A & 15V 1.2A and is part number 0B-2LF

How did you find out that the TF101 will only trigger charging at 11VDC?

What I can use to supply that kind of voltage?

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by fusionx599; 01-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Went to JayCar today - they found me a 15V 2A DC power supply with multiple pin arrangements, including a USB 2.0 adapter. We connected this to the TF101, and it immediately worked!
    Thanks to Stuart from York St JayCar for all the help!

So, we tried a few different voltages, and as many have posted, there is a point where the TF101 will actually doing a proper charge - and that begins from 12VDC.

so JayCar will sell you an all-in-one kit which includes a 12VDC 1.5A psu + USB 2.0 adapter which work correctly charge your TF101 - wal wart sayonara!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    Awesome. Glad you got it worked out.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    I have one for you guys on this charging issue. I have been using the Asus supplied Wal Wart from the beginning with no issue until yesterday. I might add that I was also using a standard USB extension cable along with the Asus supplied charing cable. Yesterday I noticed the tablet did not charge beyond about 57% after several hours of charging with the tablet turned off. After reading the forum I installed the dual battery widget and discovered the tablet was not charging at all if the extension cable was being used.

Any idea what changed to cause the Wal Wart not to work with the extension cable all of a sudden? After removing the ext cable all things seemed fine, the tablet was indicating it was charging, the Wal Wart got warm to the touch and the battery level was going up rapidly.

I unplugged the Wal Wart and inserted the ext cable again just to test it as the pin configuration is identical to the connector on all USB connectors and it had worked before. It didn't work and to make matters worse now the tablet is not indicating its being charged after removing the ext cable and using just the Asus supplied charge/data cable. Is this the type of problem people have been experiencing with the Asus charger?

I have observed that the Asus charger does not turn on unless it sees a certain load (Tablet) at the other end. Is it possible that the tablet sends a turn-on signal down the data lines of the USB 2.0 connector to tell the charger when to turn on and when to shift to trickle charge mode. If so there may be issues with the Tablet and it's software causing all the charging issues.
    Last edited by Hoggdoc; 01-08-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    206 times
    Loads of posts about this, but to get it to work you need a USB 3.0 extension cable.
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionx599 View Post
    Went to JayCar today - they found me a 15V 2A DC power supply with multiple pin arrangements, including a USB 2.0 adapter. We connected this to the TF101, and it immediately worked!
    Thanks to Stuart from York St JayCar for all the help!

So, we tried a few different voltages, and as many have posted, there is a point where the TF101 will actually doing a proper charge - and that begins from 12VDC.

so JayCar will sell you an all-in-one kit which includes a 12VDC 1.5A psu + USB 2.0 adapter which work correctly charge your TF101 - wal wart sayonara!
    What was the make/model pf the PSU?

Would be good as a backup, Oh and how much?
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
    What was the make/model pf the PSU?

Would be good as a backup, Oh and how much?
    18W 3 - 12VDC Plugpack with USB Outlet Cat No. MP-3314
    Specifications:
    • Input voltage: 100 - 240VAC
    • Output voltage: 3, 4.5, 5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12VDC
    • Output current: 1500mA (max)
    • Dimensions: 82(L) x 52(W) x 45(H)mm

18W 3 - 12VDC Switchmode Plugpack with USB Outlet - Jaycar Electronics

$29.95 AUD - personally I'd use this over the "wal wart" one as it looks a lot more well built. It isn't as compact which leads me to believe it will not likely have the heat issues either.

So I've got one which is 15V 2A, and one that is 12V 1.5A, both work, but you can't get the 15V 2A with the USB adapter.
    Last edited by fusionx599; 01-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggdoc View Post
    I have one for you guys on this charging issue. I have been using the Asus supplied Wal Wart from the beginning with no issue until yesterday. I might add that I was also using a standard USB extension cable along with the Asus supplied charing cable. Yesterday I noticed the tablet did not charge beyond about 57% after several hours of charging with the tablet turned off. After reading the forum I installed the dual battery widget and discovered the tablet was not charging at all if the extension cable was being used.

Any idea what changed to cause the Wal Wart not to work with the extension cable all of a sudden? After removing the ext cable all things seemed fine, the tablet was indicating it was charging, the Wal Wart got warm to the touch and the battery level was going up rapidly.

I unplugged the Wal Wart and inserted the ext cable again just to test it as the pin configuration is identical to the connector on all USB connectors and it had worked before. It didn't work and to make matters worse now the tablet is not indicating its being charged after removing the ext cable and using just the Asus supplied charge/data cable. Is this the type of problem people have been experiencing with the Asus charger?

I have observed that the Asus charger does not turn on unless it sees a certain load (Tablet) at the other end. Is it possible that the tablet sends a turn-on signal down the data lines of the USB 2.0 connector to tell the charger when to turn on and when to shift to trickle charge mode. If so there may be issues with the Tablet and it's software causing all the charging issues.
    if you switch to using a third party charger with just a standard USB 2.0 socket, you will be able to use a standard usb 2.0 extension cable
    Last edited by fusionx599; 01-09-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads