*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2813 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionx599 View Post
    if you switch to using a third party charger with just a standard USB 2.0 socket, you will be able to use a usb extension cable
    But it will take 10-36 hours to charge.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Went to JayCar today - they found me a 15V 2A DC power supply with multiple pin arrangements, including a USB 2.0 adapter. We connected this to the TF101, and it immediately worked!
    Thanks to Stuart from York St JayCar for all the help!

So, we tried a few different voltages, and as many have posted, there is a point where the TF101 will actually doing a proper charge - and that begins from 12VDC.

so JayCar will sell you an all-in-one kit which includes a 12VDC 1.5A psu + USB 2.0 adapter which work correctly charge your TF101 - wal wart sayonara!
    How long does it take for the JayCar charger using USB2 to fully charge your TF vs. the original Asus charger/cable combo?
    Last edited by janner43; 02-11-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    TF 101
    No Dock
    Windows 7 Desktop

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggdoc View Post
    I have one for you guys on this charging issue. I have been using the Asus supplied Wal Wart from the beginning with no issue until yesterday. I might add that I was also using a standard USB extension cable along with the Asus supplied charing cable. Yesterday I noticed the tablet did not charge beyond about 57% after several hours of charging with the tablet turned off. After reading the forum I installed the dual battery widget and discovered the tablet was not charging at all if the extension cable was being used.

Any idea what changed to cause the Wal Wart not to work with the extension cable all of a sudden? After removing the ext cable all things seemed fine, the tablet was indicating it was charging, the Wal Wart got warm to the touch and the battery level was going up rapidly.

I unplugged the Wal Wart and inserted the ext cable again just to test it as the pin configuration is identical to the connector on all USB connectors and it had worked before. It didn't work and to make matters worse now the tablet is not indicating its being charged after removing the ext cable and using just the Asus supplied charge/data cable. Is this the type of problem people have been experiencing with the Asus charger?

I have observed that the Asus charger does not turn on unless it sees a certain load (Tablet) at the other end. Is it possible that the tablet sends a turn-on signal down the data lines of the USB 2.0 connector to tell the charger when to turn on and when to shift to trickle charge mode. If so there may be issues with the Tablet and it's software causing all the charging issues.
    the normal transformer charging cable uses the signal lines in the usb3 cable to tell the charger to send the extra power along the extra usb cable wires, the usb2 cable only has 4 connections whilst the usb3 has 9 connections if you try to charge using hi voltage at 1.5 amp you can burn out either the cable, the plug or the transformer itself.
    5 volt X 2 amp = 10 watts 15 volt X 1.2 amp = 18 watts not quite double the power but close so trying to get all that power along the same size cable will produce heat so if you do want to try it use the shortest cable you can but i still say you are taking a chance of frying the transformer trying.
    ASUS Transformer 32 with keyboard dock extra 64 Gb mem android 3.2
    custom built PC dual boot running Win 7 64 bit/ linux 64 + 24" touch screen
    17" asus laptop Win XP
    Apad 10" android 2.1

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    ... I’ve been using an app called Dual Battery Widget (when you click on the widget it lets you know whether it is charging or not, as I don’t know what a what the visual indicator for a turned on charging TF101 is!).
    Fusion, please say more about the Dual Battery app. I have a TF101 (16GB) an upon installing it only shows up under "Mannage Applications", but not among my available apps. I've retried several times without luck, any suggestions?

My issue is that upon having fully discharged the battery with keyboard attached, plugging in the original charger to the attached keyboard results in no charging overnight. Moreover, Settings>About>Status reports "battery status unknown" (or some such). Then, after fully charging the tablet by plugging it directly, when re-attaching to the keyboard the battery status reports 100%, but I know full well the keyboard's battery is depleted. So, how can I ever be sure I can trust the keyboard's battery to be charged?

Being a newbie I sure would appreciate some guidance!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++

Ooops, I've just found the answer at http://www.transformerforums.com/for...l-battery.html - Thanks
    Last edited by rodrigt; 02-14-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Found answer elsewhere

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

Asus Wall Charger Fix

Hello all: I have been surfing the net to find a DIY solution and after reviewing several sites I have created the following video to assist you.
    The DIY wall charger is well made robust and reliable. Easy to make with readily available parts at most electronic or computer hardware stores. Check out the video and ditch the Wall Wart.

timbyts

ryd
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Right, first up, that video seems to have been "removed by user".

Secondly, I purchased that Jaycar 15V 2A adapter today and plugged it into my T300t. That gave me a scare. The screen started to flicker with lines of interference flashing across it and then the Transformer screen went to the Asus boot-up splash screen and STAYED there to the point I started thinking I'd bricked the
    thing.
    A rather extended holding of the power button did eventually get it to power off and reboot okay, but I'm wary as hell of plugging that bugger back in again.

Anyone else have any trouble.
    Have I missed something obvious or done this wrong in some way?
    Last edited by Swipe; 10-04-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

12 volt car battery direct to tablet

Hi , I would like to know more specific, you connected the battery termionals to a usb female plug just with a 1.5 amp fuse and then connected the tables usb cable to it , and it charged the tablet with out injury to the device???

please let em know i am stuck in south america with no charger...

regards
    david
    davidseabull@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

In order to trigger the charging indicator (on the TF101), you need 11 VDC. It should be the same for the Prime.

Other products (including an iPad charger) will charge, but slowly with the screen off. iPad charger yields about 10% per hour on my TF101 with the screen off.

For a car charger, I took a USB power plug, ripped out the components on the circuit board and direct wired the 12 VDC straight through with a 1.5 Amp fuse.

Also the wall wart is rated for 15 VDC and 1.2 Amps.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had my transformer for a few months now and have had no problems with it but tonight I began experiencing very similar problems. The tablet won't detect the charge but if I plug the cable into the computer my computer detects it. The charger still works I'm sure because I plugged another device in it momentarily to make sure the charger works. I'm using the standard ASUS wal wart and ASUS cable. While using my tablet and syncing it with my laptop, I accidentally clicked the USB debugging icon in the settings bar. I looked at the RS Guide for charging issues and none of them worked. After doing more research I found out that the I had turned the USB debugging off. I found out how to turn it back on and I did but it still will not charge. Before I began syncing and accidentally turned off the debugging it was charging. What exactly is the purpose of the USB debugging and could that have caused my charging issue? What can I do to fix the problem? I've been searching for hours and can't find a thing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2813 times

Alternative USB-based charging methods for TF101 besides using ASUS supplied charger?

Does it charge but not show an indication of charging? Some users have reported that lately. Try plugging it into the wall wart for an hour and see if the battery level increases by 20% or more.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    82 times
    Unfortunately plugging in another device to check the wall wart still works only proves that the 5 volt section is working, it doesn't prove that the "Transformer detector" circuitry and the 15 volt output is working.

Likewise, plugging the TF into a computer and it being detected only proves that the data connections in the cable are working - two of the nine wires in USB 3.0 interface spec.

You may have a fault either in the wall wart (it is failing to detect the TF and step up its output to 15 volts) or in the cable (it is failing to provide the TF identification signal, probably a resistor connected across two of the 5 extra USB 3 wires, to the wall wart).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads