Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: [Tutorial] How to get Google Apps and the Market on a Chinese Transformer

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

[Tutorial] How to get Google Apps and the Market on a Chinese Transformer

Due to restrictions imposed on Google, if you bought a Transformer TF101 from China you would have
    found that you do not have the Android Market App or any Google Apps. This guide will show you how
    to get around these restrictions by flashing another regions firmware onto your device.

The old manual methods have been superseded by a All-In-One tool written by idcrisis over at the xda forums.
    I have reposted the instructions below, all credits to him.

This may be the first completely automated tool for getting root on any ICS Asus Transformer - TF101 / TF101G / TF201 / TF300X / SL101 for all ICS firmware including the latest TF101(G) 9.2.2.6 / 9.2.2.4 and 9.2.1.27 / 9.2.1.25 / 9.2.1.21, TF201 9.4.2.28, TF300T 9.4.3.30 and TF300TG 9.4.4.40.

You can use it on any SBKv1 / SBKv2 / SBKv3 tablet including B70 / B80 / B90 as it is not NVFlash based.

Your data stays intact and OTA functionality is not lost. No more need to downgrade to get root.

You can also use it for flashing CWM recovery or returning to Asus stock recovery ( to re-enable OTA ). (TF101(G),SL101 only)

DOWNLOAD - "1-Click Transformer Root_1.1" (v1.1) (TF101(G),TF201,TF300T(G),SL101)
    OR
    DOWNLOAD - "1-Click Transformer Root" (v1.0) (TF101(G),SL101 only)

UPDATE 15-Aug-2012 - Segmentation fault hopefully fixed in v1.1; unroot fixed for newer tablets

UPDATE 16-June-2012 - Version 1.1 out. All tablets supported, all ICS. TF101(G),TF201,TF300T(G),SL101!

v1.1 Uses a new exploit method and is much quicker and simpler. For the TF201/300X, only root/unroot options exist, no recovery installation. Everything works for the TF101(G),SL101.

UPDATE 15-June-2012 - Version 1.0 out for TF101(G)/SL101 only. Added unroot option.

- Before running this tool please kill Asus sync or any other tool that may be starting any competing ADB instances.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

1. If you're on a standard tablet and just need root (TF101(G),TF201,TF300T(G),SL101)

- Step 1. Download and extract the file linked below

- Step 2. Run "1-Click Transformer Root.bat" and let it continue over multiple reboots.

- You'll be root. And with stock Asus recovery.

2. If you have root and need Asus stock recovery. (TF101(G),SL101 only)

Why? To enable OTA and/or return to stock like conditions

- Step 1. Run "1-Click Transformer Root.bat". (v1.0)

- Step 3. You'll be presented with a menu. Choose option (4)

- You'll have stock Asus recovery

3. If you have root and need CWM recovery. (TF101(G),SL101 only)

Why? Nandroid backups and restores. Debrick. Flexibility. Numerous other reasons. ( but no OTA)

- Step 1. Run the tool "1-Click Transformer Root.bat". (v1.0)

- Step 2. You'll be presented with a menu. Choose option (3)

- You'll have CWM Recovery

4. If you have root, you can also choose to unroot (TF101(G),TF201,TF300T(G),SL101)

Why? Taking your tablet back to Asus for warranty. Uninstalling all changes done by this tool.

- Step 1. Run the tool "1-Click Transformer Root.bat" ( Either v1.0 (TF101(G),SL101 only) or v1.1 (TF101(G),TF201,TF300T(G),SL101))

- Step 2. You'll be presented with a menu. Choose option (1)

- You'll be unrooted. This will delete all trace of changes made by this tool.

- If the tool finds the stock Asus recovery file for your tablet, it will also flash the stock recovery.

- Unrooting only makes sense if you're otherwise on stock ROM and obtained root using this tool.

5. If you have root, you can reboot into recovery (TF101(G),TF201,TF300T(G),SL101)

Why? So you don't have to press Vol and Power buttons etc to get into recovery / ROM Manager can't reboot to recovery in the Transformer.

- Step 1. Run the tool "1-Click Transformer Root.bat" ( Either v1.0 (TF101(G),SL101 only) or v1.1 (TF101(G),TF201,TF300T(G),SL101))

- Step 2. You'll be presented with a menu. Choose option (2)

- You'll be rebooted into your current recovery, whatever it is.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

You will be presented with the menu only if you have root, else root in one step!

You can run it multiple times to retry if it fails for any reason. It cleans up after itself.

You'll need:

- At least 50% battery

- USB debugging enabled on your device

- Any Windows PC - Please allow any driver installation (DPINST) dialogs to succeed. If automated ADB driver installation doesn't work, you can manually install them from the adb-drivers directory

Credits - miloj for the new debugfs exploit method

- Wolf for the core exploit. This tool uses some new variations too.

- rayman84 and Bumble-bee for the excellent Blob Tools

- Transformer reboot to Recovery zephyr team - for the source code to show how to boot into recovery programmatically
    Download Link

Step By Step Tutorial

Original Thread

Notes.

1. Rooting your device may void your warranty, you have been warned. If you do need to send your unit to be repaired under warranty you can always unroot it, google for instructions.

2. Flashing firmware and modifying system files will always carry a small risk of something going wrong. But this is the steps I took and it is working great for myself.

3. Installing new firmware that is not downloaded from ASUS means that you will not receive OTA updates so when a new update comes out you will need to download the new firmware from xda and flash the zip from CWM

4. It is always advised to perform a wipe in CWM before flashing new firmware as it reduces problems later on. A full wipe is recommended but a dalvik wipe is the minimum.

5. Always ensure you have enough battery before flashing any firmware.

If you have any problems or difficulties either leave a reply or PM me.
    Last edited by ambertx; 08-19-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: New method

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    is the process the same if i use a USB?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    No, updates have to use the MicroSD Card
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't get this to work for me. Im not doubting the fix, this will be something i am overlooking.

so far im downloading the file which i have tried the tf101 and tf101g.
    When the files are downloaded i am extracting them in winzip and placing them straight to the micro sd.
    i have the renamed the file and followed the instructions.

Each time i get the droid with exclamation mark.

Please help i have now had my eee pad 2 weeks and hardly used it!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

WOOooOoOoOoOoOoOoOO!!!!

OMFG!!!!

The amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth I've done trying to get the Android Market on my AT. I've looked at rooting it and reloading a vanilla copy (didn't do in the end, looked too complicated) and all sorts.

Then here you go and have this simple little hack, and Bob's your uncle. WW version sorted!!

Fantastic .

I've had my Chinese Asus for about six months now, and the extra hassles not having access to the proper market has caused me is immense hassles (though educational, finding ways around it). Anyway, as you probably have guessed by now, I downloaded the current WW version from the Asus site, renamed it, slotted it into my Asus, crossed my fingers and rebooted.

Ten minutes later I'm de-shackled.

A quick download of the current Android Market APK and I'm free! Freeeeeee!

Many many thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewrock View Post
    I can't get this to work for me. Im not doubting the fix, this will be something i am overlooking.

so far im downloading the file which i have tried the tf101 and tf101g.
    When the files are downloaded i am extracting them in winzip and placing them straight to the micro sd.
    i have the renamed the file and followed the instructions.

Each time i get the droid with exclamation mark.

Please help i have now had my eee pad 2 weeks and hardly used it!!
    How far are you extracting you should end up with an UPDATE.zip if all you have are files then you extracted 1 too many times

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    [QUOTE=ambertx;166440]How far are you extracting you should end up with an UPDATE.zip if all you have are files then you extracted 1 too many times[/QUOTE
    Do you use your GPS and if so, have you found that the Chinese offset now happens, I did the reverse as had a UK prime, upgraded with Chinese version and when using a bluetooth gps receiver (UK version), found it was good, however, now reverted back to WW and the offset has come into play, so annoying!! Why the powers that be have created this offset is beyond me
    Asus TP 201, UK version s/m ***AS045***
    Samsung Ace

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm using it in Australia and haven't noticed anything wrong.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi. ^^ I'm a new TF101 user. I tried the solution above but it doesn't work for me. Followed all the steps but I still got a red exclamation mark in the end (twice). I can't download the TF101G one coz the latest update is not the same..mine is already 4.0.3. btw, I downloaded the WW..

I don't know if the problem is related to how long the volume + should be pressed after the power and volume - buttons are released..should it be strictly 5 seconds long? Because when I released the volume + after only about 2 seconds, the android with gears appeared but was followed by the android with red exclamation mark. immediately.i wonder what it was that i did wrong

and oh..i wanted to add that my unit doesn't have an automatic zip extractor..it's weird that it can't read zip files. i just extracted the file in my PC then copied it to the microSD..maybe this is the problem?

please help guys! I need it badly...:'(

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi anjelri I have just updated this guide can you give it a try and get back to me?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads