Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Various quick fixes links and help.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times

Various quick fixes links and help.

This is a consolidation some of the more frequent issues with the Transformer.

Cold Boot - wiping the system cache partition (sometimes called Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top left of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task, try again until you have seen the 2 icons, (if you have Jelly Bean there will be 4 icons, the left most being RCK, which is correct), in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected. If you are using JB there will be 4 icons, disregard the 2-4 icons unless instructed and the 1st icon (RCK) will be flashing..

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime or Infinity are locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a cold boot.

If your TF is on 4.2 press vol down key to choose the middle Android icon & once you do that press the vol up key, that will start the cold boot process.

FOR THE TF103/TF303 (and probably any other Intel powered, ZenUI models
    Quote Originally Posted by patates View Post
    @Swipe : I would like to clarify a few things, share my personal use.
    Access to the bootloader menu : Start the tablet by Pressing Volume Up + Power button in the same time and release them after 2/3 seconds (USB cable unplugged).

Menu (vol +/- to select, Power button to confirm action):

- Reboot Droidboot
    - Reboot (-> restart on android)
    - Recovery
    - Power off

Access to recovery menu : the tab reboots after pressing power button on "Recovery" and you see a death robot with the message "no command". To access at "Wipe data factory reset", "wipe cache partion" and "apply update from adb"; press both "vol + and vol -" and release them after 2/3 second. Retry if necessary, it does not always work the first time
    To do a "cold boot" on these models, access recovery as shown above and select "wipe cache partition"

ALL MODELS... A cold boot does not delete any user data.

Battery (charging/power) issues
    If you don't feel you are getting the best run time from the battery, first try this. Run the TF down to the point it turns off. Then charge it for 8 hours. If the battery is giving you other problems like it doesn't seem to want to charge, follow these suggestions. Pick what applies best to your problem.

1. Check the charger to make certain it is seated in the AC socket. If necessary, take it apart and spread the pins apart and try again.

2. Another thing to try is putting the charger in the freezer for 20-30 minutes in a ziploc bag.

3. Plug your TF, using the charging cable, into your PC for 2 or more hours.

4. If you sense some electrical charge around the rim of the TF when charging it may be a polarity issue with the charger. If it is a 2 prong charger just turn it 180 degrees. For further info (RS link)

GPS issues

First go to Settings - Location - GPS, make certain the GPS location is ticked. It frequently takes several minutes to as much as 15 minutes on the first try get a GPS fix.

Get GPS Test or GPSFIX from the market to see if it is working. A further test, one I like, is to get Google Sky Map, (free from the Market) and take your TF into an area with a clear view of the sky. Turn off the WiFi if still connected, and wait until you can see the sky you are looking at in TF screen. Pointing at a bright star or the moon helps.

The TF does NOT need WiFi for the GPS to work, (some tablets only come with GPS in 3G versions but this is not the case with the TF). It does, with the default Google Maps, require WiFi access to plan a route, (unless you are using a purchased routing app), which will then be automatically cached. So long as you don't deviate from that route the TF will work just fine. The better idea is to get an app like CoPilot or Sygic (neither are free), that will allow you to (pre) download maps of specific areas. The first time you try to get a GPS fix, be patient as it may take some time.

Firmware update Issues

If updates are not appearing as expected, try going to Settings - Applications - Manage - All - DMClient - Force Close/Clear Data/Clear Cache and then reboot. Next, go to Settings - About - Check for update.

If that doesn't work, download the correct firmware from ASUS, (follow the links in my signature). Extract the first file to the root of a MicroSD card. Insert the card in the TF, power down then back up. The TF should find the firmware and update. Make certain you are using the firmware specific to your location and device. Your MicroSD card will need to be formatted as FAT32

Market issues

If you are having issues with Market updates, Clear the data in the Market: Settings - Applications - Manage - All - Tap "Market" - Force Stop, then Clear Data

Reboot

Open the Market (may need to authenticate your Google account again)

iTunes music on your Transformer.

Getting music from iTunes on your desktop to your TF, on or off line

First, on the system with iTunes installed sign up for the Google music beta. music.google.com. Your iTunes music will get synced to Google, give it some time.

Go to the Music app on the TF and you should be able to stream the music from Google. To sync the music to your TF for off-line use, When you see the music in the music app you will see a small triangle you can tap that will allow you to select "make music available offline"

There are also a few apps to let you listen to your music on your local network, DoubleTwist and AirTwist and iSyncr work well

Updated 11/3/12

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Thanks leeshor, very helpful! Two quick questions:

(1) On on a cold boot, if the user switches to the "wipe" option is there a "cancel" after selecting it, or does it go straight to the wipe?

(2) The link to Asus downloads is much appreciated -- but I didn't spot the latest firmware. Did I miss it, or is it not up yet?

Thanks again!

-Matt

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    On #1 I'm not certain there is a way out of that once it gets started. On #2 I adjusted my SIG to include an alternate download for 201 firmware. Just select Android as the OS.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Thanks but ooops, I should have noted I'm on the T1, not the T2.

-Matt

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    Thanks but ooops, I should have noted I'm on the T1, not the T2.

-Matt
    Here you go, ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Eee Pad Transformer TF101

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    There is a cancel wipe after chosing the cancel wipe. You can also turn the tablet off to cancel the wipe.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    You're really kind...but I may be one step ahead. The firmware on the Tf101 page is from last November (V8.6.5.14), not the one that went OTA last week:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-g9a21fc1.html

Looks like that isn't officially up yet.

-Matt

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    You didn't actually give it a try, did you?

-Matt

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Yeah, ASUS has not published the .18, .19 or .21 firmware yet. Maybe in time it will appear.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links