Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What to do if you can't get connected to a WIFI connection

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Still having some issues with this on my Linksys WRT300N Router. Does the original transformer support N routers encryption? I was only able to get a connection without using any encryption.. I'd like to use WPA but even WEP does not work..

So far I have reset the router and tablet, multiple times; including cold booting the tablet and hard resetting the router to original specifications . Changed the routers IP address, added the tablet's mac address to the DHCP reservation list, changed its reserved IP outside of the 100-150 range, changed the MTU to 1500 - 1492 - 1400, Changed the radio band to standard and wide, channel 6, entered the network key in hex, and any combination of these things and possibly some others I found and forgot along the way.. still nothing works, the connection strength drops to nothing until I "forget" the network and try to re-enter the key again.. I'd rather not set up static IP's if possible.

Edit : Last thing I tried that worked: update your router's firmware!
    Last edited by AK1RA07; 01-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2793 times
    Glad you got it sorted. I have a WRT350N and it works great (basically the same router as you but add a USB port for storage/printer on it). Definitely have to keep it up to date on firmware.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    IMHO, ASuS (in its relentless pursuit of excellence) would have done right by the customer if they had exposed channel bonding as a option to the end user so that they could decide if they wanted longer battery life OR faster network. I have so little wireless range with this unit, its unfortunate. I have seen spikes of 72MBps, but nothing sustained, everything pretty much sites at 65Mbps as a best case scenario
    I went out and purchased a Wireless-N router specifically for use with the TF201, only to find out that its "unworthy". Could this be addressed with a firmware update, or is this a limitation of the actual hardware that is in the TF201?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    There are several things you can do if you can't get connected to your WiFi hotpot or router.

1). The TF cannot use channels above 11. But some channels work better than others. 1 and 6 are popular and work well for many people. If you can get connected at all, download WiFi Analyzer This app will give you an idea what channels may be available or over lapping with a nearby router.

2). Restart your router. This sounds simple but has been the solution for many people. Routers frequently accumulate garbage in the system that can be dumped by removing the power cord for at least 30 seconds then plugging it back in. After the router has made a connection, restart your TF

3). As is the case with some other devices, the TF doesn't do a great job of telling you there is an error when inputting your password or passphrase. If the TF says it is trying to connect for more than 10-15 seconds you may have mistyped the required information. Long press the connection and tell it to forget your credentials and try again.

4). I have found that the TF does not work well or at all with WEP encryption so your best bet is to use WPA/WPA2 or equivalent. This is better security than WEP anyway. If you still can't connect but see a strong signal try no encryption long enough to determine that it is possible to connect and adjust accordingly.

5). In order to narrow the problem down, if all else is failing, try connecting to a public hotspot or a friend's router.

6) If 1-5 don't help, do a cold start of the TF. With the TF turned off, hold the volume button in the down position and while holding the volume button hold the power button. Hold both until you clearly see some white text in the upper left corner of the screen then let go of both buttons. You should then see 2 icons on the screen with the one on the right flashing. Wait until the TF restarts. Note, double check all your settings as this causes some to get lost, like screen timeouts for instance.

These instructions work for the Transformer and the Transformer Prime but also should work for the Slider
    WiFi Analyzer won't let me change channels. My Prime is using channel 6 and the best channel available is channel 1 be the app wont let me switch channels. Any help would be appreciated.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can someone help me I have had my Prime fora couple days now, I am sitting in the same room as my router (from New Wave Cable), I called them cause I can only get like two bars on my prime with the WiFi, hubby has a Toshiba Thrive and he is having the same issues..New Wave told m e my internet strength was great a n d there was no problem on there end that when you get new devices you have to call the company of the device and get there settings for that device to get the full strength. I have never had to do this, I thought I just turn my WiFi on put in my password and I was good to go. She told me no, she said I had to make the changes..that I should be able to go 150 feet from my router and have full strength. I am tired of pages loading slow as crap. At first I thought maybe it was my prime but this Toshiba is doing the same. I want to get this fixed as I only have like 11 days if I need to return my prime

Can someone please help me
    Last edited by arounds70; 02-12-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can any one help with this, is it true, I am about ready to take it back and get a different brand tablet, this is the second one of theses I have had. And it is so slow

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arounds70 View Post
    Can any one help with this, is it true, I am about ready to take it back and get a different brand tablet, this is the second one of theses I have had. And it is so slow
    From your previous post it seems like getting another brand will have you in the same boat. Not much of s solution as I see it. If the router/modem has multiple ports and one is available you might consider getting a WiFi access point. It will likely be better than what your ISP is providing. Sounds like their problem not yours.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    But my laptop is not slow and my hubby tablet isnt as slow as mine, the cable company said my internet was running at top speed but it takes pages forever to load and keeps freezing up and kicking me out of the browser

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Connecting to Macbook Wi-fi

Has anyone tried connecting a Prime to a Macbook pro through the Mac's Internet Sharing? I've done so successfully twice, and been unsuccessful twice. This is my work computer, so it's only at work that I'm trying this. I've had no problems with the Wifi on my Prime while at home (have a Netgear Dual Band-N router there). My best guess is something is interfering, but I don't know what:

First time: Successfully connected. I got to work earlier than anyone else the day after getting my Prime, and my wifi from my Macbook was one of the only ones in range at the time. I connected with not even a hiccup, downloaded firmaware updates really quickly, including ICS. I used it off and on throughout the day with no problems.

Second time: Could not connect. The next day at work, I couldn't connect. I had changed nothing, except that I got to work at a more normal time, after several other people were already in the building. It just kept getting stuck at the "Obtaining an IP Address" part. That afternoon, the Internet in our building went down for most of the rest of the day. I thought maybe that had something to do with it, although that didn't seem logical.

Third time: Successfully connected. This was the very next day after the second attempt, but this one happened on a Saturday. So, there were very few, if any other wifi networks available. It connected immediately and held the connection for the whole 5 hours I was at work.

Fourth time (today): Cannot connect, despite trying several things. I tried cycling through each possible channel that my Mac is broadcasting through. I changed the name, the password, the name and password. I've restarted the Prime and the Macbook. I even tried just turning off encryption. Still stuck at "Obtaining IP address." Now, I did notice that after trying to connect without encryption I had to change the name of the network for it to recognize that encryption had been turned back on.

One other detail: I can only use WEP through my Macbook's Internet Sharing. So the Prime can connect to a WEP-secured network.

Thanks for any insight.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arounds70 View Post
    But my laptop is not slow and my hubby tablet isnt as slow as mine, the cable company said my internet was running at top speed but it takes pages forever to load and keeps freezing up and kicking me out of the browser
    Just because one or two devices connect fine does not necessarily mean another will. Different devices use different WiFi chipsets that handle communications differently between the router and the device. I suggest you try a public hotspot or a friend's wireless connection to see if you have the same problem. If you feel using another connection provided suitable performance you would probably get nowhere fast with the cable company but there are alternatives. The kicking you out of the browser part could be the browser but sounds more like the WiFi connection.

You first best bet is to try it somewhere else and report back.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Ads