Thread: GPS and trails

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

GPS and trails

We will be going on a walking tour in England and wonder if any ot the gps apps allow you to see the trails as opposed to the roads?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    As far as seeing where you have been you can always record your track using "my tracks" which is free app written by the Google team in the market.

This may be nice too: France: Paris Audio Walking Tours by Rick Steves

I would also try Layar. This is an Augmented Reality application that will take pics of things around you and overlay them on the screen to let you know what it is (for instance a 4 star restaurant or hotel or historical point of interest.)

As far as getting walking directions (tour style) with paths and shortcuts/ areas to avoid those types of things I do not know of any apps. I wonder if there is a Europe specific app?
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    Layar will probably require Wifi connectivity or to be tethered to work with the TF unless you have the 3G version.
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    Bernice, trails depends on what maps you're using. There are some map products available, but most are not free. Basically, you want an offline map viewer that can read the map format you're interested in.

I found one option but have not tried it:

https://market.android.com/details?i...igator.license

(free demo version : https://market.android.com/details?i...untrynavigator )

Here's a list of lots of apps that support Open Street Maps, a free map product :

Android - OpenStreetMap Wiki

I really like OSM but they may not have the trails you need, or even some roads - they are excellent where I am (SF Bay Area), but I found missing streets when I was in Chicago a couple of months earlier.

Personally I use a Garmin hiking GPS with OSM (or other maps) loaded onto it. It is more rugged, has better battery life, easier to carry, and easier to read in sunlight.

Ches111 : I misunderstood from the title as well, but it sounds like Bernice only wants to view trail maps, not record tracks of their walks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes thank-you for your responses. That is what we would like is maps of the trails themselves. I will look into the Garmin hiking GPS. I looked into a few of the apps but none really seemed to be what we wanted.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    You're not going walking in the UK soon, are you? How far north? If you're in the north, bring plenty of clothes. Warm, waterproof ones. And a shovel. And carry heavy stuff in your pockets. 60-90mph winds and heavy snow have been forecast.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No we are not going till next June and we will be in the Cotswolds walking from village to village so hopefully the weather will be pleasant.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    If you are considering a handheld unit, there are other sites that can give advice on the unit as well as maps. There are also region specific forums that can best advise on what maps are the most accurate. For example, geocaching websites will have many users who are familiar with GPS and maps.

A handheld unit is not exactly complicated to use, but I've used a number of them and found that they can be a bit overwhelming. The best way to approach these products is to ask what you want to do, then figure out how to do it. If there is an REI near you, check to see if they have any introductory GPS classes you can attend.

Now you've gotten me curious about the map apps for Android

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links