Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rooted - Will I get Updates with stock ROM?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times

Rooted - Will I get Updates with stock ROM?

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new with Android - so far loving/learning it

I have a question? I learned ICS is around the corner.

I rooted my TF but haven't done any changes.

I have stock ROM and I have no intends to flash a custom ROM

Will I be able to get the latest updates such ICS when it arrives? or I'm pretty much fubar?

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    904 times
    I rooted my TF but haven't done any changes.I have stock ROM and I have no intends to flash a custom ROM Will I be able to get the latest updates such ICS when it arrives?
    I'm afraid the answer is no! There are others in this forum that share your situation. You'll have to unroot if you want to get ICS OTA. You can search this forum for some ways you can achieve this. I think there are also some youtube videos that explain the process.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    I'm afraid the answer is no! There are others in this forum that share your situation. You'll have to unroot if you want to get ICS OTA. You can search this forum for some ways you can achieve this. I think there are also some youtube videos that explain the process.
    Thanks for answering.

As of right now it seems there is no way to unroot B90 models?

I have been reading a lot and it seems it's still under development.

Regards...

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Don't let sculptedstylus scare you.

(1) Unrooting takes about 2 minutes. Once you're done with update, re-rooting takes about 2 minutes.

(2) There are ways to defend against the borg... I mean devs of custom roms are very good at incorporating updates in their roms. Take revolver, for example. In the last major update, I (a revolver user) got an OTA update from revolver parts just 12 hours after the update was first rolled out. Most people on stock rom didn't get their OTA update until like a week later. This drove mickey nuts, LOL.

(3) The advantages of root and custom rom + custom kernel are significant. It's very noticeable, actually. Case in point. I put a custom rom and custom kernel on my girlfriend's TF a month back. Last week, she, without telling me, flashed the stock kernel back in. I don't know if she wanted to test to see if I'd notice or not. Well, when my TF was charging, I picked her TF up and started playing with it. It took me about a minute to start noticing something was off. The response time was terrible. The apps were sluggish (compared to what I'm used to). But I just brushed it aside. Well, 10 minutes in and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to go into settings about to check and there it was the damn thing was using stock kernel.

The point is there is a noticeable physical difference.

Added by edit.

BTW, watching star trek voyager right now.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Don't let sculptedstylus scare you.

(1) Unrooting takes about 2 minutes. Once you're done with update, re-rooting takes about 2 minutes.

(2) There are ways to defend against the borg... I mean devs of custom roms are very good at incorporating updates in their roms. Take revolver, for example. In the last major update, I (a revolver user) got an OTA update from revolver parts just 12 hours after the update was first rolled out. Most people on stock rom didn't get their OTA update until like a week later. This drove mickey nuts, LOL.

(3) The advantages of root and custom rom + custom kernel are significant. It's very noticeable, actually. Case in point. I put a custom rom and custom kernel on my girlfriend's TF a month back. Last week, she, without telling me, flashed the stock kernel back in. I don't know if she wanted to test to see if I'd notice or not. Well, when my TF was charging, I picked her TF up and started playing with it. It took me about a minute to start noticing something was off. The response time was terrible. The apps were sluggish (compared to what I'm used to). But I just brushed it aside. Well, 10 minutes in and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to go into settings about to check and there it was the damn thing was using stock kernel.

Added by edit.

BTW, watching star trek voyager right now.
    Awesome reply thanks!
    Last edited by xXxDieselxXx; 11-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

Revolver?

where can I find Revolver?

QUOTE=goodintentions;80349]Don't let sculptedstylus scare you.

(3) The advantages of root and custom rom + custom kernel are significant. It's very noticeable, actually. Case in point. I put a custom rom and custom kernel on my girlfriend's TF a month back. Last week, she, without telling me, flashed the stock kernel back in. I don't know if she wanted to test to see if I'd notice or not. Well, when my TF was charging, I picked her TF up and started playing with it. It took me about a minute to start noticing something was off. The response time was terrible. The apps were sluggish (compared to what I'm used to). But I just brushed it aside. Well, 10 minutes in and I couldn't take it anymore. I ad to go into settings about to check and there it was the damn thing was using stock kernel.

Added by edit.

BTW, watching star trek voyager right now.[/QUOTE]

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorgeek View Post
    where can I find Revolver?
    Any gun shop will have a revolver.

But here's one that will be good for you.

[ROM] Revolver 3.9.5 by Gnufabio | Nov 27 | HC 3.2.1 - 8.6.5.19 | Revolver Parts - xda-developers

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxDieselxXx View Post
    Thanks for answering.

As of right now it seems there is no way to unroot B90 models?

I have been reading a lot and it seems it's still under development.

Regards...
    Unrooting B9O's is no problem if you have the last Firmwareupdate (8.6.x.19) ans the razorclaw app from the market - it doesn't even take 2 Minutes to unroot :-)

Correction:
    The unrootmethod i used does'nt really work to install the latest firmwareupdate (8.6.6.23) :-(
    It seems that i have to flash stockrecovery and an older stockrom to get the latest firmware and even ICS.

Does anyone know what exactly does the firmwareupdate check in the installed ROM. I got the 8.6.6.23 updatenotification, i cann download it, install > yes but then there come the green android with the yellow exclamation mark :-(
    Last edited by imoves61; 01-06-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: no unroot in 3 minutes

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Just be sure to really read and understand the process you will be using. If something does go wrong, you need to know what you did to undo it and get back on track. I will have to unroot also to get ICS when it comes out and am nervous about reversing it. I will read probably 5 times before I go for it!
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Any gun shop will have a revolver.

But here's one that will be good for you.

[ROM] Revolver 3.9.5 by Gnufabio | Nov 27 | HC 3.2.1 - 8.6.5.19 | Revolver Parts - xda-developers
    Quote Originally Posted by imoves61 View Post
    Unrooting B9O's is no problem if you have the last Firmwareupdate (8.6.x.19) ans the razorclaw app from the market - it doesn't even take 2 Minutes to unroot :-)
    Thanks guys... you are making me feel better.

Would you mind telling me how?

I have Firmwareupdate (8.6.5.19) and the razorclaw app however I thought Razorclaw will only root. If I run it it will say "Already rooted, Unable to continue".

Also I have tried to go into recovery mode and all I get is an android with an exclamation mark.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm an IT professional so I promise you will not to babysit me much

I just feel I need to unroot it as this device was really for my wife ... I'm waiting for the TF Prime

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links