Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What is Adobe Flash used for ?

I have 2 Flash enabled Android devices : Asus Transformer and HTC Legend.
    I thought that having flash was making a difference, like watching videos on Youtube.
    However, I see that IOS or WIN7 powered devices can read Youtube videos equally well.
    So what's the benefit of Flash, especially given Adobe announcement they will stop all Flash development for mobile platforms (will not be available on ICS for instance)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    This will explain it better than I...FLASH

It's being replaced by HTML5 though.
    Last edited by MikeM; 11-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    13 times
    Unless I am missing something - you need flash to watch youtube videos and many other web site's video.

Someone else here will likely post in with more info.
    TF101 & Dock w/KKLP (KatKiss Lollipop) ROM 5.1.1 v25

Galaxy Note 4
    Cheers Charlie

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    There are some Flash powered games around (some are even quite addictive...) but they don't seem to play well on mobile devices. The primary use for Flash I personally encounter on Android is browser video and irritating ads that slow the browser down to a crawl.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcsq View Post
    I have 2 Flash enabled Android devices : Asus Transformer and HTC Legend.
    I thought that having flash was making a difference, like watching videos on Youtube.
    However, I see that IOS or WIN7 powered devices can read Youtube videos equally well.
    So what's the benefit of Flash, especially given Adobe announcement they will stop all Flash development for mobile platforms (will not be available on ICS for instance)
    Flash will be available for ICS. There are still a ton of sites that don't display all the content without flash installed. The easiest and quickest test is to go to Honda.com: Official Site of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.. The entire top animation will not be there without flash.

To answer your question re: YouTube and some other sites, they are available as HTML5 which at some point will be a replacement for Flash but many sites haven't upgraded the development tools that support HTML5 yet.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Currently just outside London in the UK but soon to be Ottawa, Canada
    Liked
    12 times
    It's used on a number of review and financial sites often to provide the interactive graphs. My wife sold her her iPad and went back to using her laptop because there were some shopping sites that wouldn't display the product pictures. Probably HTML 5 can replace a lot of this stuff in the future, but I don't have a time machine so for now I'll stick with flash.

Robert

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    There's a ton of sites out there that contain useful applications and content that work in the browser because they use Flash (including many professional/work related sites).

HTML5 currently can't replace Flash for most of these. The only way to recreate the functionality without Flash is to build a stand alone app that needs to be downloaded separately rather than just have the thing work in the browser. This is one of the reasons why the i-devices have so many apps. There's a whole bunch of them that are there just to replicate what you can already do in a full featured browser.

Sometimes I do scratch my head and wonder what's going on. It seems the industry is spending a lot of resources trying to get stuff that worked perfectly well on a laptop 5 years ago to work on new, underpowered devices in the rush to be more mobile. When I see figures on a) how many people are actually using tablets these days, and b) how many of those tablets ever leave the home I wonder why they bother. I guess it's more about phones, but screen size then becomes more of an issue.

My own guess is that the mobile hardware will become as powerful as a regular laptop in the very near future (just look at things like the MacBook Air) -and all this work to shoehorn functionality into today's lower performance devices will be wasted.

But I'm pretty sure I'll be proved wrong though.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    in addition to the vast amount of video sites that still use flash. html5 also is not yet capable of doing live streamed events such as a football game, hockey game, or you know a baseball game there is a lot more to internet video then just youtube. hopefully it won't take them long to figure these things out. and luckily will still have a working flash plugin to use until they do. even it is the final version they will be making.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all your replies. It's clearer for me now.
    From what I see, not having flash does not prevent IOS users to be happy with their devices, so it does not seem to be a must have feature.

I will try to use my TF without flash for a little while to see if it makes a big difference for my personal use model.

Regarding ICS, it would be worth double checking : AFAIK, it will not have flash. The new Nexus doesn't have it at least.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Pretty much all of the people I know with iPads almost never use them. And those that do don't do much with them beyond checking out a news site in the browser now and again, or they use them for entertainment if they travel a lot.

It seems the main reason for not using them is that it's just easier to use their laptops.

I suspect they're happy without Flash because they don't notice it's missing. Either because they never use their iPad, or they only use it when they know they'll only be doing a little casual surfing. When they know they're going to have to fill in some data on a site, or do something productive they flip open the laptop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links