Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question GPS and the Transformer

I really like my Transformer. And having a fixed keyboard is a wonderful thing. But I'm getting pretty frustrated with the GPS ability of this thing. I just took a driving trip from Omaha to the Chicago area, and then south through Illinois to Nashville, TN. The GPS was hit or miss and mostly miss. I also have an Android phone with exactly the same Navigation program, and no problem at all. I know what you are gonna say, "the Android phone (HTC Evo) has the ability to use cell towers". Well just for grins, I shut off that feature and still no worky. I used the app GPS Status on both the Transformer and the HTC Evo, and I could always get sats.

So what's going on? Do I need to purchase a Bluetooth GPS which I'd rather not do as it's more stuff to haul around? Very frustrated right now with the GPS ability of this wonderful tablet. Is it just my transformer? Do IPADS have this problem?

Thanks.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip.arborsystems.com View Post
    I really like my Transformer. And having a fixed keyboard is a wonderful thing. But I'm getting pretty frustrated with the GPS ability of this thing. I just took a driving trip from Omaha to the Chicago area, and then south through Illinois to Nashville, TN. The GPS was hit or miss and mostly miss. I also have an Android phone with exactly the same Navigation program, and no problem at all. I know what you are gonna say, "the Android phone (HTC Evo) has the ability to use cell towers". Well just for grins, I shut off that feature and still no worky. I used the app GPS Status on both the Transformer and the HTC Evo, and I could always get sats.
    So what's going on? Do I need to purchase a Bluetooth GPS which I'd rather not do as it's more stuff to haul around? Very frustrated right now with the GPS ability of this wonderful tablet. Is it just my transformer? Do IPADS have this problem?
    Thanks.
    Well, AFAIK, the GPS on the TF relies more on Wi-Fi connectivity and being able to identify the Wi-Fi Routers by the Google Maps etc.

I have a HTC Wildfire (I know it is a very low end, entry level phone) and both my phone and my TF are not particularly useful as GPS devices - hence I have a Tom Tom - a dedicated Sat Nav.

I am not sure that the TF was ever actually designed to be a good SatNav device - it is just thrown in as a 'locate where you are' service in my view.
    VLBaindoor

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    I tried the Nav and it worked like a champ for me. I was bluetooth tethered to my phone for data updates via Google. The GPS does NOT rely on Wifi. It is a standalone feature just as any other Nav device. It WILL use Wifi in ADDITION to the GPS if available to narrow quickly a location. This is the same premise that the phones use. They use GPS, Cell Towers and Wifi. If Cell service is not available then Wifi then only two location mechanisms are used. Wifi and Cell are quick aquisition targets vs the GPS may take longer to lock.

I would probably guess location of your tablet within the vehicle play some part in your issues. The better line-of-sight the device has to the sats the better the pointing.
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I forgot to mention that my TF was tethered to my Android phone, and still no luck. It's just weird. Right around here at our office it works fine, and of course tethered around here it worked fine. But moving it 500 miles east of here and South made it useless. That's why I'm thinking maybe I should get a dedicated BlueTooth GPS receiver that charges off of a USB cord or something. More complexity, but it would certainly make the GPS workable.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    What was the location of the tablet in the car? It may not be as sensitive as your phone.
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well it's sitting on the dash of the car which means it should be getting great sat reception. Actually it's sitting on the dash of my "truck", but that shouldn't make any diff.
    BTW, just went out in the parking lot, and of course it works.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    FWIW...Copilot runs fine on mine the only reason the TF needs wifi is to fetch Google maps.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Your problem may also be a lack of live maps but it does sound like it was having a comm problem. There are some great paid apps that do a great job. Not suggesting you spend money on a paid app but it would be cheaper than a dedicated GPS. Check out Sygic.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    Have used CoPilot on my TF on a trip to Ireland and it was excellent. Nothing wrong with the GPS on the TF in my experience.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I used my TF on a recent business trip in both Italy, UK and Ireland and it performed great using the Sygic app. No WiFi other than to download the maps before hand.

Sometimes it did take up to 10 minutes for the TF to locate itself. My Garmin and TomTom at home have this issue from time to time.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links