Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    To cache a route simply select a starting point and a finish point let it calcuate the route while connected to wifi and it will give you turn by turn directions while NOT connected to Wifi. If you deviate from the course too far then it will have difficulties getting you back on your route since it is an area/route no longer cached.
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip.arborsystems.com View Post
    How do you "cache" a map?
    Caching a map area allows you to use it offline to view where you are. It will not allow you to get directions around the pre-cached area without being on internet.

Also, any time you get driving directions whilst on WiFi, it will cache the route to use offline so long as you do not deviate from it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    wait....doesn't the Transformer require WiFi connection to a mobile hotspot for the GPS to even work? i'm pretty sure I couldn't get anything while using it in my car with my wife driving and no hotspot...

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    wait....doesn't the Transformer require WiFi connection to a mobile hotspot for the GPS to even work? i'm pretty sure I couldn't get anything while using it in my car with my wife driving and no hotspot...

PAB5204
    No, the Transformer comes with GPS. It only requires you get a satellite fix. There are many tablets that do not have internal GPS but the TF is not one of them.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    ^ What he said

If you go into Settings - Location

There are 2 types of location options - GPS and WiFi.

GPS can be a bit slow to find itself (up to 15 minutes) but it will work if you have GPS enabled in the settings.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

NML
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theimmc View Post
    It has to do with how the chipsets calculate your position. When you have not used it for an extended period of time, or you make a large move in your location (over a few hundred miles seem to do it) the chipsets don't see the satellites in the sky they're expecting, and will have to download information off the satellites (which is sent at a very slow rate). Some chipsets are also better than others at obtaining a fix, and the Broadcom BCM47511 used in the Transformer is a pretty new one. The search term for anyone who wants to search for more about this is "time to first fix".
    Hmmmmm.....this little tidbit just might explain the weird situation I found myself in spring of last year. My husband and I were traveling in our coach through the northwest, south through California, then across the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas. When we got to Vegas, none of our GPS seemed to be able to get a fix. Not the GPS on the Jeep, the Magellan, nor the GPS on my iPhone. They all knew we were in las Vegas, just not where we were exactly. In addition, all three devices would route us in the weirdest ways, showing roads that didn't exist, showing us on roads that didn't exist. A similar thing occurred another time outside a US Naval base in Georgia, as I recall. Weird, just plain weird. Really creeped us out as I recall.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip.arborsystems.com View Post
    I really like my Transformer. And having a fixed keyboard is a wonderful thing. But I'm getting pretty frustrated with the GPS ability of this thing. I just took a driving trip from Omaha to the Chicago area, and then south through Illinois to Nashville, TN. The GPS was hit or miss and mostly miss. I also have an Android phone with exactly the same Navigation program, and no problem at all. I know what you are gonna say, "the Android phone (HTC Evo) has the ability to use cell towers". Well just for grins, I shut off that feature and still no worky. I used the app GPS Status on both the Transformer and the HTC Evo, and I could always get sats.

So what's going on? Do I need to purchase a Bluetooth GPS which I'd rather not do as it's more stuff to haul around? Very frustrated right now with the GPS ability of this wonderful tablet. Is it just my transformer? Do IPADS have this problem?

Thanks.
    i have found the same problem, but it is due to having the transformer on the keyboard if you lay the transformer down it picks up the signal with no problem, it does not require any signal from WiFi towers or cell phone towers the first time you turn it on it can take a long time to work out its position but after that it works great.
    I have 5 different GPS devices as i live on a sail boat and the transformer works the same as the rest of them i use it as a back up to may main chart plotter and it always tells me the correct position, if you are using it between tall buildings then it may lose the signal as it requires clear line of site to the satellite's unlike the majority of the phone GPS which use assisted GPS part from the satellite and part from the cell towers.

hope this helps
    ASUS Transformer 32 with keyboard dock extra 64 Gb mem android 3.2
    custom built PC dual boot running Win 7 64 bit/ linux 64 + 24" touch screen
    17" asus laptop Win XP
    Apad 10" android 2.1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links