Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine works fine outside my home, where it tells me I'm in another state.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The problem is that I don't know if it's the Navigation software or is it the GPS? If I were at one of those sites, where I get the "Searching for GPS" message for 30 minutes, and then I opened up the GPS Status app, it would show that I have no sats or maybe just 1-3. I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's the GPS in the TF, or the fact that I may not have the best WiFi. I would think WiFi wouldn't make a diff actually. I can certainly open up my laptop, hook up the external Delorme GPS to my laptop and get sats. I'm just wonderin' if it's my particular unit. We have another one here at the office and it doesn't have the problem, but the fellow that uses it hasn't traveled outside of the immediate Omaha area.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    The WiFi is not directly related to the GPS. The GPS, to work as intended, needs an unobstructed view of the sky where the sats are. If you have stood in one of those places, say no trees or buildings, and you still only see maybe 1 or 2 sats then there may be a problem. Keep in mind that the TF may take 10 minutes to get a 3D fix. That's the only way it will know where to place you on the map. But if the map is wrong to begin with, because it needs the WiFi to get the correct map in the first place it may be a chicken or egg scenario.

Did I muddy the water enough now?

Ultimately the best solution is a paid app that allows you to pre-download tha maps. An app on the Market called GPS Test will help.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    You can also grab Sygic from their website for a 7 or 14 day trial to test it out.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Went on atrip last weekend. Cached the maps I needed via Google maps. When we got. close to needing directions, turned on the Transfomer and it worked like a charm with no WiFi.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Sometimes it did take up to 10 minutes for the TF to locate itself. My Garmin and TomTom at home have this issue from time to time.
    It has to do with how the chipsets calculate your position. When you have not used it for an extended period of time, or you make a large move in your location (over a few hundred miles seem to do it) the chipsets don't see the satellites in the sky they're expecting, and will have to download information off the satellites (which is sent at a very slow rate). Some chipsets are also better than others at obtaining a fix, and the Broadcom BCM47511 used in the Transformer is a pretty new one. The search term for anyone who wants to search for more about this is "time to first fix".

It's not easy to tell what is the problem since the TF can get a rough fix using wifi signals (thanks to Google's snooping) as well as through the GPS. The reason the OP's unit seems to be working some of the time may indicate a problem with the GPS antenna, with *cough* holding it wrong, or nothing at all. Can't really tell from the information here.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks all. Hmm. Well that last reply may have something to do with it, meaning I'm traveling and now it's finding a new location. Obviously if it works well here at home, then there is nothing wrong with the antennas.

Thanks again all.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    How do you "cache" a map?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    Go into Maps->tap 4 straight lines upper right->Settings->Labs->Pre-cache area map
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links